Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1960 P Penny - Possibility Of Doubled Dies Or Just A Newbie's Crossed Eye

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 532Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
393 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2018  3:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add sosicoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi, everyone. Needs assistance in deciphering presence of doubled dies in this 1960P penny. Just let me know if I am wrong, this is part of my learning process. Thanks for your patience and understanding.
DDO-right side of date "960", top part of "IN GOD WE TRU T"
DDR-"E" in ONE, the pillars of the building, 1st-4th-5th-6th pillars startig from the right

Bedrock of the Community
United States
37076 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2018  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF.Not a doubled die.The columns are normal,it is meant to look 3-D. It is also a large date in case you were wondering.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Edited by John1
01/16/2018 5:43 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53426 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2018  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anyway -

to the CCF!
Rest in Peace
10197 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2018  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the funhouse!

What you are seeing is a classic case of Die Deterioration Doubling (DDD). This happens as die wear down. Metal flows towards the outside edges, stretching the design elements. That is seen by the you and T in TRUST distinctly and the ghosting outline to the right of the date digits.

Edited by Crazyb0
01/16/2018 6:11 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3462 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2018  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cwb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the forum!

Nice close-up photography!
Valued Member
United States
393 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2018  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sosicoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info. Having searched 5M+ of coins is a remarkable experience. I am enjoying this hobby. So, hopefully, I can search at least 25% of your 5M+. I appreciate every comment I can get for experience enhancement.
Valued Member
United States
393 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2018  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sosicoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Crazyb0. Thanks for the comment. It seems like I can grasp what you are saying. My question is, did the DDD develop due to circulation/usage of the coin or the DDD was a precursor from DD? How about the ghosting of the date? Was the ghosting cause by circulation/usage? Too, can I ask what the B is on top of your dome? Hope you won't mind me asking.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 532Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05