Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Is The Face Value Of Your Collection...

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 43 / Views: 3,232Next Topic
Page: of 3
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11935 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  12:51 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have been working on the inventory of my collection.

While doing this I set up the spreadsheet to track,
Number of each type of coin, the face vale and how
much silver and gold.

Doing a true value of a collection would be very hard.
One the prices will change, two .. to me you never know
what a coin is worth until you sell it.

While I am doing this I got to thinking that the minimum
value my collection would have is the face value. Of course
counting a 1885 CC GSA Morgan as one dollar face or even
its bullion value does not show the true value, but for me
it is a starting point.

I think I am about 95% through counting my U.S. coins. The
count so far is 31,185 coins. Some of the numbers were quite
a surprise ...like 10,338 memorial Lincoln cents. I would
have never guessed I have that many .. mostly BU rolls from
the 60's and 70's .. that I put away with out thinking.
And I have close to that number in clad Washington quarters,
not sure how that happened ... but I do want more ...

It will be a few more days or weeks before I finish the count
I know I still have some in boxes from my recent move and about
a hundred pounds of coins in the SDB at my bank, that will
need to be counted .... I am finding a lot of coins I forgot I had.

I guess I am curious if others have counted their collection
in a similar way.

Valued Member
United States
393 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  01:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sosicoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Realization of the bounty that you have is an indication of how much you are enjoying the coin collection hobby. Stay healthy and enjoy the blessings you are gifted with.
Rest in Peace
United States
1559 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  01:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tootallious to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
2392 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  01:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MontCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't done a face value count. But I do have a spreadsheet catalog of my coins. This includes ASW of all my silver. I don't have any gold yet, but will do the same when and if I get some.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2102 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  01:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've got a spiral book that I've got all of my best examples of in by series, date, and grade. Everything from cents through dollars - US and Canadian coins. I know what their numismatic value is (paced by my 1955 DDO Lincoln), but I don't have any idea of their face value... I've got a big tub of copper Lincoln Memorial P&D mint cents - probably has 50,000 coins in it or so...
Learn More...
United States
14451 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  02:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have an exchange rate for all the foreign coins I have, so I am sticking to US coins only.
My quick tally turned up $880 from my collection, but that may be missing some coins.
Kind of sad that its only worth that much face value
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11245 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  03:32 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My quick tally turned up $880 from my collection, but that may be missing some coins.
Kind of sad that its only worth that much face value

Except, the face value doesn't mean anything in a collection if you are collecting with knowledge.

There are too many variables to make this a considerable exercise.
In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

"If we continue to accumulate only power and not wisdom, we will surely destroy ourselves."
-Carl Sagan
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17882 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  06:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Impossible to say.

I collect from all centuries, all cultures and countries, covering 2,600 years of numismatics, when an opportunistic price makes an item a good cheery pick.
Have been doing this for four decades.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11935 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  08:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I posted this last night after a few hours of counting ...

As Fuzzy317 posted the face value number is kind of sad ...

I think we all have a idea what our collection is worth, the face value
number in most cases is much less. For me ... even the actual silver
weight is much lower than what I think the value of my collection is.

Counting my foreign coins will also be a challenge. The Canadian coins
might not be to bad, I am thinking I only have four or five hundred dollars
worth of them. For most of my foreign coins I think counting the silver weight
will be the best I can do.

So far my face value is just over $5600.00 with 540 oz. of silver. Those
numbers will change. Doing this inventory is showing me coins I want to
get rid of. Also .. with most of my silver being in the bank boxes I am really
curious what that number will end up being.

My suggestion would be everyone with a large collection to keep a good
inventory, it might help you focus on where you want to be with your collection.
Learn More...
United States
23522 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  08:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I collect Cents, so it ain't adding up quickly.
Learn More...
United States
94243 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  10:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So, check my math, but it looks like the face value of a full 7070 (no gold page) is $25.315.

That makes mine $23.315.

Do not spend that all in one place!

I only totaled my core US Dansco albums (no world coins, no miscellaneous extras, no OGP stuff) and that did not even crack $300.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20013 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  12:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Well, I collect Cents, so it ain't adding up quickly.

That makes a lot of sents.
As to a total of my face value, I have no idea and wouldn't even know how to start. I had an entire album of those large Copper rounds but gave the entire thing to my Grand Daughter so that is one thing I don't have to try counting. I have a few boxes of foreign coins in flips and not even sure what many of them are so couldn't count them either. And too I've purchased some Silver Bullets so how do I count that. Then there are those sort of tokens the NRA sends me and not sure what they are either. A very long time ago someone gave me bills from different countries. How do I count their face value when I have no idea what they are. Do I count a complete collection of the Red Books?
Think I'll just leave this subject to whoever inherits my collection.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
1507 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  1:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Andrew99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you use CoinManage, you can pull up a current value of your collection at any time.
The collection is in your mind. Dispose of your albums and free your mind from the tyranny of holes.
Learn More...
United States
94243 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If you use CoinManage, you can pull up a current value of your collection at any time.
Value, Face Value, or both?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53533 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  1:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I mostly collect paper money these days, so this isn't a good comparison, but I suppose I'm well over $7 grand.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6308 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Too many to to count for a trivial number.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 43 / Views: 3,232Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05