Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Gadhaiya Paisa Chulukyas of Gujarat  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
788 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  09:56 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi here's a new one...Went to Finns amazing thread aaaah !!No photos!

Finn or anyone else... any info and thoughts would be much appreciated thanks.

North Western India 1120-1210 AD
Gadhaiya Paisa Chulukyas of Gujarat
Weight : 3.92gr
Size : 15mm

Thanks in advance Saludos Paul
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5024 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  11:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice coin!

Your coin is struck on a thick dumpy flan and the portrait doesn't have an eyeball, which is usually attributed to the Vaghelas, 1244-1304 AD. Yours however, has some remarkable features:

- The lips are a C shape - they are usually dots or dashes - never joined.

- The bottom portion of the front ribbon (the backwards S shape at the bottom of the coin is usually in front of the lips, not beneath.

- The top portion of the front ribbon (three horizontal lines) is usually to the right of the bottom portion, not next to the nose.

- These are usually very debased; yours appears to be good silver.

This is a very good grab! Where did you find it?
New Sale! Inexpensive classic Greek silver, over 2,400 years old!

http://goccf.com/t/323297
Edited by Finn235
01/17/2018 1:25 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2398 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  12:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Finn knows his apples on these ^^

I have one but I couldnt tell you all that... maybe I should take a photo and get a lesson too because I wouldn't have known all that...

Interesting coin type though and an attractive example :-)
Learn More...
United States
21515 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  4:06 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This series has become very popular since Finn's excellent thread. Very nice example.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
788 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2018  03:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you...Great information,you really know your stuff Finn!

Just for my records you're attributing it as Vaghelas, 1244-1304 AD but with some variances?
There seems to have been 5 rulers over these 60 years and I assume the variances can't be attributed to one ruler in particular?

The reason I bought this coin was because of your super thread but didn't really know what I was buying just really loved the look of it.
Probably paid over the odds at 16$?
Please feel free to use it in your reseach program, I can take more photos if needed let me know.

It does seem to be of good quality silver and looks even nicer in hand so I'm really pleased.

Thanks again Saludos Paul

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5024 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2018  7:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Apologies for the delay, been a bit under the weather.

Attributing these coins is tricky; there are a couple inscribed types that can be assigned to a particular ruler, but otherwise they can't be assigned with certainty to any ruler, kingdom, or even century. The attribution to the Vaghelas is usually made because the eyeless type is very common, very highly debased, and doesn't show a whole lot of stylistic drift before it abruptly stops. That of course assumes that the Chaulukyas made the much more varied and common "standard" Gadhaiya coins during their centuries in power. A member of another forum was kind enough to give me some scans of Deyell's chapter on the coins... he argued that based on a 14th century numismatic treatise written under the Delhi Sultan's mint master, most types of Gadhaiya Paisa ought to be attributable. Maheshwari, however, doesn't think attribution is possible.

As for the coin, any Gadhaiya with unorthodox or misplaced design elements is quite unusual--the design elements were actually quite tightly controlled. The closest I have in my collection is somewhat similar is of a slightly different fabric and portrait style, and has an open circle instead of a C. I'll dig the photo up from my photobucket and re-post it here for comparison. I paid about $20 for that one from Lanz, so I think your price was about right, although regular Vaghela-type gadhaiya can be quite cheap; I've won multiples on a minimum 99 cent bid on eBay.

E:

New Sale! Inexpensive classic Greek silver, over 2,400 years old!

http://goccf.com/t/323297
Edited by Finn235
01/20/2018 7:39 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
788 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2018  04:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your time and expertise Finn...

Thats a really nice coin! Hope you can get your thread up an running with photos again as it's a great reference source for beginners like me..Does the reverse of my coin need to turn 90deg clockwise?

I have a few more of these type coins in the mail and will post them when they arrive..

Thanks again Paul
Edited by Palouche
01/21/2018 04:32 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05