Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

RCM Sues Royal Australian Mint In Row Over Poppy Coin Printing

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 4,767Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18417 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2018  07:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is a huge amount of commercial pad color printing on coins being done around the World.
A quick search on Google Images will confirm.

I think that the RCM has zero and Buckleys* chance of stopping it.

*Buckley's Chance = absolutely no chance at all.

- and never having any chance of gaining compensation from the commercial pad color printers; it will just be an exercise in futility.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2018  11:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There is a huge amount of commercial pad color printing on coins being done around the World.
A quick search on Google Images will confirm.

I think that the RCM has zero and Buckleys* chance of stopping it.

*Buckley's Chance = absolutely no chance at all.

- and never having any chance of gaining compensation from the commercial pad color printers; it will just be an exercise in futility.

If the RCM was attempting to stop color coins from other mints I would agree with you, however that doesn't appear to be what they're doing. It appears they're going after the RAM for a specific issue that violated their patent.

The RCM will win this if they can prove that their method was used. I doubt this will ever see a court room though, some deal will be worked out and some royalty will likely be paid with the possibility of England stepping in to moderate.

I am going to assume the RCM has strong proof of their accusations since if they bring the suit and lose they basically invalidate their own patent as it would be impossible to defend.
Canada
2 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2021  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SeanCoinMan72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They were not specifically suing a over the 2012 poppy. They were suing over the technology that is used to apply the colour, claiming that it is too similar to the method developed by the RCM. Even by the time the lawsuit started the RAM had produced numerous coloured coins.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18417 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2021  6:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Color pad printing onto a metal surface has been around for a lot longer than either the RCM or RAM have been using the technique on coins.
Lots of Youtube videos and Google Images will confirm.

I don't think either Mint has a legally valid claim against the other. The lawyers are going the 'clean up' on this one!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4705 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2021  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe the RAM and RCM came to some kind of agreement over the claim a few years ago
Learn More...
United States
99030 Posts
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 4,767Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05