Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Walking Back In Time From 1600 To Antiquity By Decades (V2.0)

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 20
Pillar of the Community
United States
1955 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2018  4:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
very sharp central strike, with impressive image of the duke

Thanks, 1c5d. Lorraine has lots of nice varieties of gros issued in the 14th and 15th c. Some are affordable like this one, but some quite rare. While researching the legends, I found that mine is slightly different than the others I could find online, and what it published in both Numista and de Saulcy. Those references say that the exterior legend on the reverse should end with XPI (between 11:00 and 12:00), but my example seems to end in XII. Maybe the die engraver got a bit sloppy.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11375 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2018  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Maybe the die engraver got a bit sloppy.
Or was illiterate...

In other news, despite my previous post:

http://goccf.com/t/306045&whichpage=9#2641224

As it turns out, I actually do have a coin minted starting in the decade of 1400 to 1409 AD. Sorry about the confusion, but I had put this little guy to the side to compare it against another of mine and then only got to the comparison this afternoon.

Here is a Denaro from the Italian City State of Aquileia. The ob inscription is "ANTONIVS PATRIARCA" while the rev inscription is "AQV ILE GEN SIS". I really like the eagle on the rev (which is why I recently bought the second one for comparison...) It can be attributed as Biaggi 191 and dates to between 1402 and 1411 AD (the rule of Antonio II).

Tomorrow we can drop back to the decade of 1390 to 1399 AD.

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
1955 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2018  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Nice coin, nice eagle, with a lot more detail to the bird than other small coins of that era.

(I've been itching to get to the 1300s where I have some fun stuff)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11375 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  05:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a Groschen from the German Duchy of Saxony (Meissen/Thuringen mint) that dates to between 1390 and 1393 AD. The obv legend is "BALTH DI GRACIA TVRING LANG C R V X" while the rev legend is "GROSSVS + MARCH + MISENSIS +". I have it attributed as Krug 470/471. Absolutely love this lion!

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
1955 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  06:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree on that lion. We could probably do an entire thread on lions in heraldry on medieval coins. We've seen them from Low COuntries, England and various places in Germany already...
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1155 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  12:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add antwerpen2306 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
till now ,nice coins.Very nice eagle . I do not have many medieval coins and the problem is the exact dating , but is an interestind treath with very beautiful coins . albert
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11375 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
We've seen them from Low Countries, England and various places in Germany already...

I'm pretty sure that we will hit France and Italy (and Hungary if EddieDiz has anything to say about it) before this century is over.

Albert, I agree that getting some of these coins down to the nearest decade can be challenging.

I'm looking forward to seeing coins from the 1380s tomorrow!

-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11375 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  06:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a Brachteate from the German City of Tiengen that dates to about 1387 AD. The letters on the obv are T E/V. I have attributed this uniface coin as Weil 75, Berger 2468, and Bonhoff 1793.

-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
1955 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  06:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Neat image ... looks like he's wearing a jester's cap, though I doubt that's what it's supposed to be.

Here is a gros from Brabant that dates to 1384, the beginning of a brief monetary union betweeen Brabant and Flanders (talk about vision!). Hence the reverse legend, MONETA NOVA BRABANTIE ET FLANDRIE. The obverse legend is IOH DVX BRAB PHS DVX BORG Z COM FLAND, with the name of the two sovereigns involved, Joanna duchess of Brabant and Phillip, Duke of Burgundy and count of Flanders. Joanna was duchess for an impressive 50 years, the second half of it as a widow. Witte 414.

Edited by tdziemia
02/13/2018 07:25 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11375 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  2:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes @tdziemia, the cap is a bit unusual. Bonhoff describes it as a "Spitzhut"--or spiky cap to us.
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
2700 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petrus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Z on medieval coins is a logogram (Tironian character)
I have a nice text that explains it all.
If anyone is intrested, let me know and give me an email to send it to (via privat message)
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
2700 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  4:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petrus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
County of Flanders
doubble groat ND
Ruler: Lodewijk van Male (1346-1384)
Mint: Ghent (1380-1383)
Literature: Gaillard 223
obv :
inner circle : MO#1048;ETA DE FLANDRIA (square E)
outer circle : + BE#1048;EDICTUS:QUI:VE#1048;IT: I#1048;:#1048;OMI#1048;E: DOMI#1048;I
short flowered cross
rev :
LVDOVICUS: DEI: GRA: COMES: F: DΠS: FLAΠDRIE
Ludovicus dei gratie comes et dominus Flandriae
Sitting lion with tournament helmet

Pillar of the Community
Belgium
2700 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petrus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hungary
Denar
ND (1383)
Queen Maria (1382-1387)
Doubble cross
crowned 'M'
MONETA.MARIA
REGINE VNGARIE
mint: KB : Kremnitz
Huszár 566

Pillar of the Community
United States
1955 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  10:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coins, petrus.
I have a similar Flanders double groat lined up for 1360s decade. I think with the older Gothic E in legends.
And I am curious about the double cross on the Hungarian coin which also is characteristic of Lorraine dating from the 14th c.
I forget if there is a connection in the ruling dynasties.
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
11920 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2018  12:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joseph7420 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A Hungarian 1 denár piece that was made from 1373 to 1382:

Page: of 20 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05