Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Walking Back In Time From 1600 To Antiquity By Decades (V2.0)

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 20
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1142 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2018  09:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add antwerpen2306 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
beautiful coins .I only look , mine are not dated exactly. albert
Pillar of the Community
United States
1709 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2018  12:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have not tried to have a "year collection," but in doing the research to contribute to this thread, I was surprised to find that some of my 14th century Brabant coins have been dated to a single year.
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
623 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2018  03:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1c5d7n5m to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
medieval European coins often have a mix of symbols of civic and religious authority

interesting point ! the sheep pictured with lots of wool on the "mouton d'or" is a good example

* the sheep is pictured with a halo, so the religious connection is solid, also AGN DEI in the legend
** but it could also be a civic symbol: the wool industry (wool from England => Flanders and Brabant textiles) was the largest economic section in the country and brought wealth to the region

Vilvoorde today is a small town, it was even smaller in the middle ages; quite surprising that it had its own mint
Pillar of the Community
United States
1709 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2018  06:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1c5d, I agree with those comments on dual symbolism of the sheep/lamb, which also appears on gold coins of other nearby places (France). And we could indeed have a long discussion on places that minted in medieval times that are far less important today (Melle and Sierck in France quickly come to mind)

For 1330s, this gros from Brabant was minted December 1339, mint not indicated. Legend around rampant lion is MONETA BRABAN. Legends on other side are BNDICTV SIT NOME DNI RNI IHV XPI and interior IO DUX LO BRAB. Attribution is W.359. I noticed Numisma has the wrong date for this coin

(sorry that this next image is rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise... having trouble fixing that)
Edited by tdziemia
02/18/2018 06:19 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1709 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2018  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've forgotten if back-to-back posts breaks a rule, but have a couple more form 1330 decade. Will just post this Brabant "Chaise d'Or" or Ecu, struck in the name of the Holy Roman Emperor, Louis of Bavaria, in 1337 at Antwerp. Obv: LUDOVICUS DEI GRA ROMANORUM IMP, Rev: XPC VINCIT XPC REGNAT XPC IMPERAT.

Edited by tdziemia
02/18/2018 6:25 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10333 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2018  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@tzdiemia, back to back posts are fine if you are posting gold!

Here is a Denar from Hungary that can be dated to 1333 AD. The rev legend is "+ KAROLVS REX HVNGARIE". It is attributed as Huszar 481 and Frynas H.24.32.

Tomorrow, we will drop back to the decade of the 1320s.

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
1709 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2018  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since I am new to this game, and have not been so serious a student of medieval numismatics compared to other posters, please excuse me if I make observations that are obvious.
When it comes to dating, why do we see some nations much more than others?
I realize there can be multiple reasons (length of reign, quality of mint records., etc) but it seems odd we haven't seen anything from the kingdom of France, and just one from England for 19 decades.
Is this the way it usually goes?
Edited by tdziemia
02/18/2018 9:30 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10333 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2018  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lots of choices, including France and England. For me personally, though, I have focused on posting coins to this thread which can be attributed to a single year. However, you do make a good point that there are certain periods of time where finding dated coins is easier.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
1709 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2018  06:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. I collect fairly narrowly geogaphically, and due to this thread, have realized Brabant has good information on issuing date of undated coins in the 13-15th c. (I counted about 15 years in the 1300s for which undated coins can be assigned). It looks like the same is true of Flanders. The other two places I collect (Lorraine, Poland) have far fewer early coins that can be dated to a unique year, at least based on the references I have.
Always nice to be learning more!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10333 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2018  07:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a Denar from Slavonia issued under the authority of King Banus Nikolaus. It dates to between 1322 and 1325 AD. The obv legend is "+MOHETAPEGIS + SALAVOINIA". It is attributed as Rengjeo 229.

-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
1709 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2018  3:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin! 1. I was unaware of the existence of a place called Slavonia. 2. Cute critter on the obverse, 3. Double barred cross on the reverse links to the heraldry of Jagiellos and Lorraine.
My only contribution is this more broadly dated esterlin a l'ecu from Brabant, Leuven mint, dated 1329-37, W.349. Obv legend: DVX BRAB ANTIE. Rev: MONETA LOVANIES

Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2587 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2018  12:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Before we have entered into the 1310s, I wanted to post my oldest numeric AH dated coin.
(I probably have a few older coins with spelled-out AH dates, but I hadn't deciphered them yet.)

India, Sultanate of Delhi, Giyas ad-Din Tughluq, 4 gani, 723 AH (1323 AD).

Ironically, the date is actually 90% off flan - but enough is left to identify the 3, and there's no other date it can be for this type.

Looking forward for the 1310s!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10333 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2018  06:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While the date range on this coin is too broad to move us back a decade, I thought that it might be nice to post anyways. Here is a Cornado of Castille and Leon in Spain. It was issued under the authority of Alfonso XI between 1312 and 1350 AD. The obv legend is "ALFONS REX" and the rev legend is "CASTELLE ET LEGIONIS". It is attributed as C&C 1191.

I can post a coin to keep us moving later today.

-----King Adz
Edited by Spence
02/20/2018 06:53 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1709 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2018  08:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
january1, nice coin and good reminder that the world is much larger than Europe. I am curious if we ever see east Asian (for example Chinese) coins on these types of threads? I am totally ignorant about numismatics before 1800 in Asia ...

This esterlin au chatel brabanconne from the Brussels mint (W.307) is probably borderline in adhering to the "1 decade rule." Ghyssens says minting started 1318. When listed in recent Elsen auctions we see "starting 1317/18." It's not clear to me what was the end date, but by 1329 the Brussels mint was striking a different type of esterlin (posted yesterday). Grateful for comments on the date range from any other sources. Obv: I DUX DE BRABANTIA Rev: MON ETA BRU XEL

Edited by tdziemia
02/20/2018 08:29 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10333 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2018  10:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one should fit the bill for this decade nicely. Here is a Pfennig of the German Bishopric of Wuerzburg. It was issued under the authority of Gottfried III von Hohenlohe between 1317 and 1322 AD. It is attributed as Ehwald 4500.

-----King Adz
Page: of 20 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05