Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Walking Back In Time From 1600 to Antiquity By Decades (V2.0)

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 20
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
11920 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2018  12:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joseph7420 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
During the 1490s, I mentioned having one more AH-dated coin to post. Well, here it is! For the decade of the 1300s, here is a 2 gani piece from the Delhi Sultanate:

Now, I have the date on this being listed as 701 (around 1302 in the Gregorian calendar). I had my reasons for suspecting the date to be 701, but there is probably a large possibility of the date being something else. Even so, the last digit does not really matter.

These coins were made from 1296 to 1316; however, the second digit on the date is definitely a zero (the bottom of it can be seen at around 10 o'clock on the first picture). That being said, this coin would have been made from 700 to 709, meaning around 1301 to 1310 in the Gregorian calendar.
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
11920 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2018  12:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joseph7420 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am curious if we ever see east Asian (for example Chinese) coins on these types of threads? I am totally ignorant about numismatics before 1800 in Asia ...

I have only one more European coin to post, and after that, all I have left are Chinese cash coins. We just need to get into the era of the Tartar Dynasties for me to start posting those coins, but that will take a couple weeks.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1441 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2018  05:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like this decade has been a generous one for us! That is a beautiful, sharp coin, joseph. And yet another posture for a lion from Germany on spence's

I have a double denier from the duchy of Lorraine struck 1303-12 in the reign of Thibault (Theobald) II. Boudeau 1456. Obv: T DUX LOTOREGIE Rev: MONETA D E NANCEI. I don't know the origin of the sword as a common device on Lorraine coins of the 13th to 15th centuriues, though I should.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9713 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2018  07:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great coins so far for the decade of 1300 to 1309 AD. Here is one that includes one of those peculiar letter Ss that is sideways with a line through the middle.

Here is a Denier from the French Duchy of Burgundy that was issued by Hugo V. It was minted at Dijon between 1306 and 1315 AD. The obv legend is "VGO BVRGVNDIE DVX" and the rev legend is "DIV ION EN SIS". It is attributed as Roberts 5784.

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9713 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2018  07:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a dirham from the Seljuq of Rum (Bayburt mint in modern day Turkey) that is dated to AH 690 (1291 AD). The obv references Mas'ud II while the rev is translated as "Greatness is God's". It is attributed as Album 1234.

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
1441 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2018  08:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice! I have nothing that fits this decade closely enough. My gros from Brabant starts in 1294 but likely runs longer than a decade.

A general question to participants ... I was trying to remind myself why we see only pennies / deniers / denars (small coins) in Europe before 1250 or so, and learned that the larger denominations accompanied the growth of trade, and the "middle class" in cities.

I am curious what was happening with coinage in the Islamic world at the same time. Were the coins similar in size to medieval European coins, and did this change in the 13th century? (since I don't have any in my collection, I've never invested in learning about this area).
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
11920 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2018  12:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joseph7420 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a 1 denár piece from Slavonia, which was made from 1280 to 1282:

Its condition is terrible, so here is how it is supposed to look.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1441 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2018  08:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But at least you have the COIN, and not the PICTURE. Since we now have this decade covered, I am going to break the rules and post this gros tournois for which I now have only picture, and not the coin (I sold it a couple of years ago).
Dup. 213 issued 1285-1290. Obv: PHILIPPVSREX / BNDICTV SIT NOME DNI NRI DEI IHV XPI. Rev: TVRONVSCIVIS

Edited by tdziemia
02/23/2018 08:09 am
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1132 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2018  2:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add antwerpen2306 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have about the same coin , but with two dots on the top lily . I know it is a gros tournois ŕ l'O rond and it dates to Philip IV , because the name PHILIPPUS is written with two P . albert

Pillar of the Community
United States
1441 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2018  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also the N in TVRONVS is written slightly different.
I guess someone has studied these small variations and assigned date ranges? The date I reported was the one attributed by Elsen where I bought the coin at auction 20 years ago.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9713 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2018  11:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a penny from Scotland that dates to between 1280 and 1286 AD. The obv legend is "ALEXANDER DEI GRA" while the rev legend is "REX SCO TOR VM+". It is attributed as Spink 5053.

-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
1441 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2018  08:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely portrait, lovely penny!
I will start the 1270s with this double esterlin a l'ange from Brabant, Duke Jean I. Obv: MONETA BRVXELLENCIS, Rev: IOHANNES DVX BRABANTIE. Attribution W.260. The date range is a bit uncertain. Often stated as just "starting 1277", but Ghyssens says this type was probably not struck after 1282, which would give it a range within the decade rule. Referring to an earlier discussion with 1c5d, the Archangel Michael is shown with a lance, but without a halo in this depiction.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3964 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2018  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great coins, Spence and tdziemia!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9713 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2018  10:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Bob!

Here is a Denar from Hungary (we will be seeing many of these in the weeks to come I think). It can be dated to between 1270 and 1272 AD. This little guy is only about 11 mm in diameter. The obv legend is "+MONETA VNGARIE" while the rev legend is just an Aleph. It is attributed as Huszar 354.

-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
1441 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2018  07:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin. I thought I remembered something about crows in Hungarian heraldry, but I now realize that came much later. So, those are just a pair of cute little birds?
Page: of 20 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05