Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Walking Back In Time From 1600 To Antiquity By Decades (V2.0)

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 20
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11923 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2018  08:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
are just a pair of cute little birds?

A fair question, but one to which I do not know the answer. In Huszar, they are described as "Vögel", which is generically a bird, as opposed to a specific type of bird (e.g. "Krähe", which is a crow). Maybe @eddiediz knows? He has a particularly impressive collection of Hungarian Denars.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11923 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2018  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On to the decade of the 1260s today. To that end, here is a Denaro of the Italian City of Manfredonia that dates to between 1263 and 1266 AD. As you can see, this poor little copper guy has been trimmed around parts of the edge pretty severely. The obv legend is MANYFRID along the perimeter and M in the center. The rev legend is SICILIE. It is attributed as Biaggi 1111.

Tomorrow, we drop back to the decade of the 1250s!

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
864 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2018  2:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EddieDiz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Many of the Matthias Corvinus Denars had a raven. In earlier time periods there was an eagle similar to the polish eagle.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2058 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2018  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
this poor little copper guy has been trimmed around parts of the edge pretty severely

Thanks for the geographic diversity of your choices. Manfredonia is another new one to me. I was aware of Bari and Brindisi issuing coins during medieval times in that part of Italy, but had never heard of Manfredonia.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11923 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2018  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes thanks @tdziemia. Manfredonia is one of those Italian City-States that probably only attracts the interest of the OFEC crowd or hard-core devotees to medieval Italian coinage. I believe that there were only three years in history when this sub-entity of the Sicilian Kingdom issued coins. On the other hand, the coins of Manfredonia are not unduly rare (I see several for sale on vcoins right now).
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11923 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2018  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a Pfennig minted by the German free city of Regensburg that I cracked out from an ANACS tomb a few years back. It was minted between 1255 and 1260 AD and is attributed as Bohnhoff 1962, Emmerig 234, and Metcalf 42. It shows a bishop on the obv with a split mitre cap holding his crozier and conferring a blessing on the observer. On the rev is a seated St. Peter holding a key and a fish. Some of you might remember that an enduring emblem of the city of Regensburg is the key.

-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11923 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2018  06:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a Denaro from the Italian State of Brindisi that can be dated to 1247 AD. It was struck during the reign of Frederico II of Sicily and his monogram (the letters FR, with a dash above and a star below) is on the front, surrounded by the inscription "+.ROM.NPERATOR". The rev inscription is "+RIERSL ET SICIL'". It is attributed as Biaggi 470.

-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
2058 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2018  08:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This Lorraine denier minted at Sierck during the reign of Matthew II can be dated to l247-1251. Boudeau 1441. Reverse legend around the shield CI RK ES.

Edited by tdziemia
02/27/2018 08:33 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2058 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2018  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I realize I'm breaking a rule with back-to-back posts, but I waited 12 hours ...
Here's another Brindisi denaro, slightly different type than posted by spence. The auction ticket from when I bought it gives an attribution Spahr 144, and an estimated date of 1248. Obv: ROM NPERATOR Rev: IERSL ET SICIL R (same as spence's)

Edited by tdziemia
02/27/2018 8:20 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11923 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2018  9:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I realize I'm breaking a rule with back-to-back posts, but I waited 12 hours

Happy to have more coins posted--very nice work!

Here is a Denar from the German Archbishopric of Cologne that was issued under Konrad von Hochstaden. It dates to between 1239 and 1244 AD. The obv legend is "CONRADVS MINISTER" while the rev legend is "SANCTA COLONIA". It is attributed as Bohfhoff 1592.

-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1160 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2018  05:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add antwerpen2306 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seljuk Sultanate of Rum ( Konya , Turkey)
AR dirhem
on four sides Arabic inscription in border of dots , outside a legend .
Size : 22 mm , 2.97 gr , 9 h
Periode : Izz al-Din Kay Ka'us II ben Kay Khusraw , first period : AH 644-648 = AD 1246-1250 , struck AH 646 = AD 1248/1249 .
Ref : IZmirlier522 , Album1223,1 . albert

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11923 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2018  06:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You are a couple days late Albert (as we are currently on the decade of the 1220s), but that coin is really stunning! Very nice.

Here is a Jital from Eastern Khurasan (Kurzuwan mint) that dates to the month of Rabi II in AH 618 (1221 AD). This siege coinage was issued under al Malik and is attributed as Album 1971.

-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
2058 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2018  09:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
but that coin is really stunning! Very nice.

Agreed! The ability to obtain such beautiful examples of medieval (or even ancient) artisanship was what reawakened my interest in coin collecting as an adult.

Quote:
Here is a Jital from Eastern Khurasan (1221 AD). This siege coinage...

More geography and history lessons! I needed to look up where Khurasan is (was?), and this is the first time I've seen an example of siege coinage from outside western Europe.
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1160 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2018  11:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add antwerpen2306 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sorry , I checked the coin before mine .albert
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11923 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2018  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
sorry , I checked the coin before mine

No prob--glad to have your participation Albert!

Here is a Pfennig from the Austrian City State of Salzburg (Freisach Mint). It can be dated to between 1216 and 1220 AD. the obv inscription is "EBERHA RDS EPS" while the rev inscription is "FRISACH". It is attributed as Probst 18 and Luschin 19.

-----King Adz
Page: of 20 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 5.68 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05