Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Walking Back In Time From 1600 To Antiquity By Decades (V2.0)

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 20
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
11920 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2018  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joseph7420 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had nothing from the first decade, but I do have something for today!

That is 1 dam from the Mughal Empire of India. The date written on it is 996, which would be around 1588 in the Gregorian calendar. At around 7.5 millimetres thick, it is my thickest coin.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10333 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2018  7:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great coins (and historical perspective) so far! I'm super-excited to have all of this participation.

Here is my 2 Kreuzer from the German Countship of Pfalz-Simmern. It is dated 1589 AD and the obv inscription is "RICH DG CO PA RE DV BA *" while the rev inscription is "RVDOL Z IMP AVG P F DEC". The attribution is Saurma 2080.

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10333 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2018  06:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can get us started this morning on the decade of the 1570s. Here is a 16 Sols from Belgium (Masstrict) dated 1579 AD. I have it attributed as VGN-154. Sorry for the flan crack, but it looks like this coin was minted while the city was under seige by Alex Farnese:

http://goccf.com/t/258871&whichpage=16#2207847

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
623 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2018  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1c5d7n5m to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
4. Sorry for the flan crack, but it looks like this coin was minted while the city was under seige by Alex Farnese

small defects make these hand made coins actually beautiful

indeed, this is one of the famous siege coins during the dreadful decade 70-80
the Netherlands were utterly shaken by violence

it took a long time for the city of Maastricht to recover from the episode 1579
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
623 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2018  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1c5d7n5m to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Early type Lion Dollar 1576
Holland

From 1575 on, the province of Holland started to think in terms of indepence from the Spanish empire

below is one of the first autonomous coins of the Dutch republic: a type 1b Lion Daalder minted in the first months of 1676 in Dordrecht (currently in Zuid-Holland - during the last months of 1575 a very rare type 1a was minted)

type 1a and type 1b differ from the more common type 2 lion daalders because the knight is looking to the left

the "clownlike" figure is perhaps a mockery to the king of Spain who is not mentioned anymore on this new coin; what is mentioned is about an independent state

Moneta Nova Argenta Ordinum Hollandia
New silver coin from the states of Holland

Bedrock of the Community
Canada
11920 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2018  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joseph7420 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From 1576, here is 1 schilling from the Free City of Riga:

Pillar of the Community
Belgium
623 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2018  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1c5d7n5m to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dutch Republic
Uniedaalder 1579 Utrecht

OBV
Rampant lion holding bundle of arrows
CONCORDIA RES PARVAE CRESCUN T
(here used for the first time on a Dutch coin)

REV
Crowned Coat of Arms Utrecht
Mention of the king of Spain:
PHS D.G. HISP REX DNS TRAIEC

this coin has quite a few imperfections too, but captures an important historical moment

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10333 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2018  06:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll start off the decade of the 1560s with this Groschen from the Swiss Canton of St. Gall. The obv inscription is "MO NO CI SAN GALLEN 68" while the rev inscription is "UNI + SOLI DEO GLORIA". It is dated 1568 AD and I have it attributed as HMZ 2-891g.

-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
623 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2018  11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1c5d7n5m to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spanish Netherlands - Duchy of Brabant
Burgundian Daalder 1568 Minted in Antwerp (mintmark = hand)

OBV
Crowned Burgundian cross between date
PHS. D.G. HISP. Z. REX DUX BRA.

REV
Crowned arms of Austria-Burgundy encircled by the collar of the Golden Fleece
DOMINUS MI HI ADIUTOR

Reference Delm. 90

Bedrock of the Community
Canada
11920 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2018  6:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joseph7420 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1 solidus from the Archbishopric of Riga, 1563:

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1147 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2018  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add orfew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love that groschen @spence
"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10333 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2018  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks @orfew! I'm thinking of posting another coin from a different Swiss Canton tomorrow, although some of my German and Lithuanian coins are calling to me too.
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10333 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2018  06:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As promised, here is a Sol from the Swiss Canton of Geneva dated 1551 AD. The obv inscription is "GENEVA CIVITAS 1551" and the rev inscription is "POST TENEBRAS LVX G". I have it attributed as HMZ 2-203L.

-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
623 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2018  4:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1c5d7n5m to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spanish Netherlands

Philipsdaalder 1558 Vlaanderen
OBV: PHS. D.G. HISP. ANG. Z. REX COMES FLAN
REV: DOMINUS MICHI ADIVTOR

in 1558 King Philip 2 of Spain also had the title of king of England (marriage to Mary Stuart)

Bedrock of the Community
Canada
11920 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2018  10:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joseph7420 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1 denár from Hungary, 1555:

Page: of 20 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05