Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Walking Back In Time From 1600 To Antiquity By Decades (V2.0)

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 23
Learn More...
United States
76302 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
11922 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  12:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joseph7420 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Whoa--something from the 1140s? It is certainly nice to see this thread moving again!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2365 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2019  07:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've got an 1120s waiting in the wings, but I am guessing there are more 1130s coins from Hungary out there...
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12761 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2019  3:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@tdz, we are on the decade of the 1120s right now so please post yours--I'm interested to see what you have. Here is my Denar from the French Duchy of Aquitaine dated to between AD 1127 and 1137.

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
2365 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2019  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bohemia denar, Ladislaus I 1120-25 (I am lazy and using the photo from the CNG auction catalog). In confirming the ID of this coin I learned that the medieval Bohemia section of Numista is very thorough, and also that there is enormous variety of images at this time on Bohemia denars. I believe the imagery is the enthroned duke obverse, and patron Saints Wenceslaus and Adalbert reverse:
Edited by tdziemia
09/11/2019 4:26 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12761 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2019  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK super! Starting tonight at midnight, we drop back to posting coins minted in the decade of the 1110s!
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1512 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2019  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kashmir
Sussala Deva 1120-1127/8 2nd reign
Copper Kaserah or Punchshi 17/17.5mm (5.92gr)
Obverse- Goddess Ardochsho/Lakshmi seated
Reverse- King facing
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12761 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2019  04:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one @palouche!

Here is a Denar of the Austrian City of Olmütz (Bohemia) that dates to between AD 1110 and 1113.

-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
2365 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2019  06:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice. I can't make out the image on the obverse, but that appears to be St John the Baptist reverse (wearing a hula skirt ). Guy with a halo, standing and holding a staff with a banner is usually John.
I've seen those star-like devices on Poland denars from this era. Not sure what they mean.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12761 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2019  06:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes good questions about the design elements. While I don't have either the Cach or Smerda references in my library, I believe that the obv shows a man and a woman holding a sword with a partial inscription of "SCS WxxxxAVS", while the rev has a crusader holding the banner Ladna and the inscription "+ scs VVE xxx".

Please correct or add to my understanding if you can!
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1512 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2019  08:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin Spence..Really like the reverse crusader...
Whats the size and weight of these denars?

1110-1119

Another Kashmir...
Sussala 1st Reign 1113-1120 AD
Copper Kaserah or Punchshi 17.5mm (5.86gr)
Obverse- Goddess Ardochsho/Lakshmi seated facing in half lotus position, with Nagari legend 'Sri' to left 'Su sa la' to right
Reverse- King standing facing and sacrificing at altar holding trident, with Nagari legend 'De va' bottom right.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2737 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2019  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's nice to see all of this progress!

I have a coin that would fit into the next decade, and will try to find and photograph it in time for tomorrow's entry.

(Just tried one of the expected places, found an 1070s coin and possibly an 1060s coin, but not the expected one from the 1100s.)

[EDIT: yup, the "possibly 1060s" turned out to be 1071-1077. I'm also supposed to have a coin from the 1080s, but I'm not sure where it is at the moment.]
Edited by january1may
09/12/2019 3:16 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12761 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2019  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@j1m, time waits for no man, so I hope that you find your coin from the decade of the 1100s to post. Also, I'm really glad that you have some coins to post for the 11th century as my collection gets a little lighter there.

@palouche, today's denar is 18 mm and 0.6 g, while tomorrow's (also Bohemian) will be 18 mm and 0.8 g.
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2737 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2019  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Also, I'm really glad that you have some coins to post for the 11th century as my collection gets a little lighter there.
My 11th century coins are all from the Northern Song dynasty of China, and are attributable to individual reign titles (which in this period all cover a range of under 10 years each).

Apparently there are enough Northern Song coin types to cover every single decade of the 11th century. I only have a few of them, alas (but other CCF members surely have more).
Pillar of the Community
United States
2365 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2019  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the rev has a crusader holding the banner

I was way off on that! Mistook what's probably a helmet for a halo. Same ruler as my contribution from 1120s.
Look forward to seeing your next! Learning a bit about medieval Bohemia as we move backward.
Edited by tdziemia
09/12/2019 9:19 pm
Page: of 23 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.79 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05