Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Walking Back In Time From 1600 To Antiquity By Decades (V2.0)

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 24
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13063 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2019  03:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a Denar from Bohemia (Prague mint) that dates to between AD 1109 and 1117. As with so many of these, the periphery of the coin is more lightly struck than the center. On the obv, a figure with a sword is nicely visible, but only remnants of the inscription "+ DVX VVLADISLAVS" are present. Similarly, the two figures in the center of the rev show nice detail while the inscription, "+ SCS VVENCEZLAVS" largely did not strike up. There is an old cabinet number handwritten on the rev, which I have chosen to keep.

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1538 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2019  04:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1100-1109

Spence thanks for the dimensions... again a very nice coin...I do like this type..

Quite a rare ruler this one....
Kashmir
Uchchala Deva (ruled 1101-1111)
AE stater 18 mm, 6.1 g
Obverse: Goddess Lakshmi seated facing, flanked by Nagari legend Uchcha/la
Reverse: King standing sacrificing at altar, with Nagari legend (De)va at right
Pillar of the Community
United States
2457 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2019  07:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As with so many of these, the periphery of the coin is more lightly struck than the center
Yes, that was true of my 1130s contribution, too. Still, I find much better craftsmanship on these than on contemporary Polish coins.

From the legend reverse, we can assume one of the figures is Wenceslas, an early duke of Bohemia (921-935) who died at the hand of his brother in internecine squabbles. Having been considered a just and pious ruler, he was shortly thereafter venerated as a martyr and saint.
Edited by tdziemia
09/13/2019 07:48 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
651 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2019  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bd251 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
China Empire, Northern Song Dynasty, 10 Cash - Chongning Li script (1102-1106)

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces20608.html
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2768 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2019  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
China Empire, Northern Song Dynasty, 10 Cash - Chongning Li script (1102-1106)
Thanks! Now I don't have to look for my own coin, since it is the exact same type

(Fun fact: the seller I got it from, way back in like 2014 or so, had about a dozen examples of that specific type. I have no idea how the triangular heck did they get them.
I mean, sure, it's a very common type, but a dozen of this exact type and no other Northern Song coins?)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13063 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2019  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have no idea how the triangular heck did they get them.

Maybe he made them.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2768 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2019  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Maybe he made them.
Or, more likely, bought them from someone else who made them (possibly with several more intermediate stages). When it comes to Chinese cast coins, it's hard to tell what's real and what isn't...

I do hope that the coin was real, though; it is a very common type.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13063 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2019  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with you @j1m. I'll be posting some of my own cast cash in the upcoming days. I bought them about 20 years ago and I'd like to think that they are real too.
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
764 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2019  01:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Fun fact: the seller I got it from, way back in like 2014 or so, had about a dozen examples of that specific type. I have no idea how the triangular heck did they get them.

Hoards. Big hoards. Like anything else, they are sorted into wholesale lots of similar material. Most of the coins on the market today are likely from hoards taken out of China decades ago but these news stories will give some idea of what still turns up.

A hoard of 2 million Wuzhu cash found in 2014: https://coinweek.com/coins/treasure...-discovered/

A hoard of 300,000 Song cash unearthed in 2017: https://www.scmp.com/news/china/soc...nese-village

Yes, fakes are a problem but common types are still pretty safe with a minimum of due diligence. The fakesters concentrate on beautifully patinated knock-offs of rare varieties.
Edited by Kushanshah
09/14/2019 01:07 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13063 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2019  04:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes good point @ks.

Perhaps this one came from a hoard. Here is a Chinese Cash from Emperor Cho Tsung (Northern Song Dynasty) that dates to his second reign: AD 1094 to 1097.

-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13063 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  05:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking for a coin minted in the decade of the 1080s.
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6123 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  8:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1085-1092 -- Duchy of Bohemia, 1 denar:

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13063 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  04:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice work @pep for moving us back a decade!

Here is a Chinese cast cash of the Emperor Sung Shon Tsung that dates to between AD 1078 and 1085 (Hartill 16.210).

-----King Adz
Learn More...
United States
77064 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2457 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  06:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@pepactonius, that is a super Bohemian coin!
Since nothing has been posted yet for the decade of 1060s, I I'll add my last contribution for the thread, this Poland denar of Boleslaw II dated to 1070-1076.

Edited by tdziemia
09/18/2019 06:17 am
Page: of 24 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05