Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Walking Back In Time From 1600 To Antiquity By Decades (V2.0)

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 24
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2768 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  08:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Since nothing has been posted yet for the decade of 1060s
As it happens, while I initially thought that the coin below would fit for the 1060s, I eventually found out that it is actually from the 1070s.

So I'm also posting it now...

Northern Song/Sung dynasty, Shenzong/Shen-tsung
Xining/Hsi-ning era/reign title (1068-1077)
10 cash (devalued to 3 or 2 cash?), 1071-1077
just over 30 mm, about 9.03 grams

Numista 26361, as far as I can tell.
Probably Schjoth 542 or 542a (not sure what the difference is).

...Incidentally, I also wonder what's up with the visibly off-center reverse.
I mean, if this was a struck coin, I would've said "misaligned dies", but I don't think it's an option for a cast coin like this is?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13085 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice to get a couple more coins from the decade of the 1070s @tdz and @j1m.

Here is a Chinese cash from the Northern Sung Dynasty (first reign of Emperor Shen Tsung). It can be dated to between AD 1068 and 1077.

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
11922 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  10:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joseph7420 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is another 1 cash piece from the Northern Song Dynasty of the Empire of China. It is of Zhihe (Yuanbao, regular script), and dates from 1054 to 1056.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13085 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  07:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice work @joseph! We are now on the decade of the 1040s. I can't help move this thread forward today, although I can help again a little earlier in the 11th Century.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2768 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  09:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I tried to find out which coins were posted for the 1040s on the first edition; the answer, as it happens, is "none" - the 1040s were passed during the confusing period where the thread moved on to the next decade regardless of whether any coins were posted.

There are some 1040s coins around, but, to the best of my knowledge, I don't (yet?) actually have any.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13085 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes @j1m, it can be a hard balance to strike between staying true to the rules of the thread and keeping things moving. I think that we have stayed more on the rule-following side of that equation for this version 2.0. Did you look in Hartill to see if there might be another Northern Sung cash? We've had some success there lately.

I do have a Hungarian coin that was minted starting in AD 1046, but the length of time that it was minted exceeds our limit.
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
767 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a dirham of the Ghaznavid sultan Mawdud, 1041-1048, struck at Ghazna (Afghanistan) in the month of Shawwal, AH 435 (i.e. between Wednesday 2 May and Wednesday 30 May, AD 1044).

Shawwal is the word at the very top of the obverse field. The date khams wa thelathin wa arba' mi'at is written out in words in the obverse margin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1541 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2019  6:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin KS! Its yours?
Amazing how these can be tied down to a month..Paul
Pillar of the Community
United States
767 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2019  01:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@palouche It was mine. I sold it a couple of years ago. Dates including the month are found here and there in Islamic coins.
Edited by Kushanshah
09/23/2019 01:06 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13085 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2019  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice job @ks! Thanks for posting this coin minted in the decade of the 1040s. I'm inclined to let us move backward to the 1030s with your post, although technically the rules don't address coins which are no longer in our collections.

Thoughts?
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13085 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2019  7:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not hearing strong opposition so I feel comfortable making the executive decision to let @KS's post move back to the decade of the 1030s.

Here is a cast Chinese cash from Emperor Jen Tsung of the Northern Dynasty that dates to AD 1038/1039.

-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1541 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2019  07:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm not hearing strong opposition so I feel comfortable making the executive decision to let @KS's post move back to the decade of the 1030s.
.....I agree if the coin has been owned by the poster it should count..

Nice coin Spence!I don't know anything about Chinese coins but I do find them interesting...

I'm afraid I cant help til the 970's....Paul
Pillar of the Community
United States
2462 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2019  09:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm inclined to let us move backward to the 1030s with your post, although technically the rules don't address coins which are no longer in our collections

I realize that "consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" but last March we were stuck on the 1170s for about a month, and I put up a coin that I had previously owned, but we opted to wait.

For the record, I think this is a prudent relaxation of the rules. Many of us acquire, then divest of coins as we upgrade, or shift emphasis. If we're lucky enough to still have access to a photo, sure, let's count it if we can't come up with one that's currently owned.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13085 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2019  5:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok yes good input @palouche and @tdz. Sorry about my lack of consistency. Also, I could probably also be a little more patient when waiting for others' thoughts.

Here is another Cash from the same emperor, but dating to between 1023 and 1031 AD. It is absolutely amazing to me that such careful mint records were kept.

-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13085 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2019  07:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Moving back to the decade of the 1010s, here is another Northern Song Dynasty cast Cash (Tian Xi Tong bao). It dates to AD 1017-1022.

-----King Adz
Page: of 24 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05