Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Walking Back In Time From 1600 To Antiquity By Decades (V2.0)

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 489 / Views: 29,479Next Topic
Page: of 33
Learn More...
United States
18285 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  6:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A little rough, but definitely a nice coin for today @j1m! Tomorrow we will drop back to the decade of the 850s.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
United Arab Emirates
79 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2020  09:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mohammadaak to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Low quality piece, though within the date range. Umayyads of Spain, silver dirham, mint of Al-Andalus (Islamic name for Iberian peninsula), dated AH 238 (852-853 CE)

Learn More...
United States
18285 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2020  06:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An appropriately scary coin for Halloween @mo. Thx for pushing us back another decade. I'll check to see if I have something from the 840s.
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
18285 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2020  6:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a Styca from the English Kingdom of Northumbria that can be dated to 841-844 AD. I have it attributed as Spink 865.

Tomorrow we move on to the decade of the 830s!
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
94382 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2020  10:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All of you are doing well to make some nice progress here.
Learn More...
United States
18285 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2020  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes a team effort to be sure!

For today, I have a Dirham of the Abbasid Caliphate (Baghdad mint) that dates to roughly 833 AD. I'll be posting a whole bunch of Abbasid coins over the next few days and look forward to seeing what else folks have rattling around in their cabinets.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2166 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2020  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Spence....Nice coin and look forward to seeing 'the whole bunch'...Sorry I can't help/participate for a while, just had a look but I've got nothing for the next 100 years or so!....How can that happen?!.....Hopefully others will...
Learn More...
United States
18285 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2020  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I'm hoping we see more from @mo and others in the coming weeks. And don't worry, I'm hoping we can get back to the early 8th century without skipping any days.
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Valued Member
United Arab Emirates
79 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2020  03:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mohammadaak to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another beat up dirham from Al-Andalus

Umayyads of Spain, ruler 'Abd Al-Rahman II, silver dirham, Al-Andalus (Islamic Spain) mint, AH 207 (822-823 CE)

Learn More...
United States
18285 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2020  3:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes beat up, but still a great coin to own @mo. I've got an Abbasid Dirham minted in Isbahan from a couple years after yours I think. Let's move on to the decade of the 810s!

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Valued Member
United Arab Emirates
79 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2020  11:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mohammadaak to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, I have got a better one for the 810s :)

Umayyads of Spain, Al-Hakam I, silver dirham, Al-Andalus (Islamic Spain) mint, dated AH 200 (815-816 CE).

Learn More...
United States
18285 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2020  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry for the radio silence over the past few days, but here is an Abbasid Dirham minted in Tehran in 815/6 AD. I'll try to post a couple more from the previous decade tomorrow.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2166 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2020  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Mo an Spence....Nice coins!
Just to let you know
Valued Member
United Arab Emirates
79 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2020  05:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mohammadaak to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Here's a high grade Abbasid dirham, from the reign of the famous 1001 Arabian Nights caliph Harun Al-Rashid, minted in Madinat Al-Salam (Baghdad), year AH 192 (807-808 CE)

Learn More...
United States
18285 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2020  07:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is high-grade @mo!

Here are a couple additional Abbasid Dirhams from today's decade. The first was minted in Balkh in 803/4 AD and then second was minted in Samaqand in 809/10 AD:

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Page: of 33 Replies: 489 / Views: 29,479Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05