Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Walking Back In Time From 1600 To Antiquity By Decades (V2.0)

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 429 / Views: 26,675Next Topic
Page: of 29
Valued Member
United Arab Emirates
75 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2020  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mohammadaak to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Two very nice dirhams. The Samarqand dirham is odd, there are some errors in the marginal obverse legend, especially in the mint name. It could be a contemporary imitation.

For the 790-799, here's another Abbasid dirham from the reign of Harun Al-Rashid, Madinat Al-Salam (Baghdad) mint, AH 175 (791-792 CE). Rare type with double marginal legends for the reverse.

Valued Member
United Arab Emirates
75 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2020  02:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mohammadaak to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For 780 to 789 CE, Abbasid gold dinar, minted in the very early years of Harun Al-Rashid's reign, extremely rare type, reference Album-218.1 (classified as RRR). Dated AH 171 (787-788 CE)

Learn More...
United States
17724 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2020  07:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thx for keeping us moving @mo! I have another Abbasid Dirham for today. This one was minted in Baghdad in about 785 AD and is attributed as Album 217:

Tomorrow we can drop back to the decade of the 770s. I think that I will have a few coins to post.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
United Arab Emirates
75 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2020  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mohammadaak to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely coin Spence, though the date reading is incorrect. It is AH 155 (771-772 CE), written as "khams wa khamseen wa mi'a" ("five and fifty and one hundred") so it would work for tomorrow's decade :)
Its attribution is A-213.1
Edited by mohammadaak
11/17/2020 09:02 am
Learn More...
United States
17724 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2020  09:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@mo, duly noted. I'll leave it up for today and we will still focus on the 770s tomorrow,

I really appreciate your help with the Arabic translations!

-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
United Arab Emirates
75 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2020  03:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mohammadaak to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anytime

For 770-779, here's an Abbasid gold dinar, reign of Al-Mahdi, minted year AH 162 (778-779 CE).

Valued Member
Learn More...
Sweden
483 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2020  03:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Marvelous dinars and dirhams!

Here is one for the 770s:

Francia/Frankish Kingdom 771-81, denier, Charlemagne (Charles the Great). 1.21 g, minted in Melle.

Inscriptions: CAROLVS / MEDOLVS. References: Prou 684, Depeyrot 605.

Melle/Medolus/Metallum in western France had an important silver deposit, which served as a source for coining until the 12th century. This coin is minted in accordance with the Vernon capitulary of 755, which stated that the denier should weigh 1/264th of a Roman pound, equalling 1.24 g. In 780/81 Charles the Great implemented a more lasting monetary reform: One pound (livre) was to be divided into 20 sous, each in turn divided into 12 deniers (giving the denier a nominal weight of 1.7 g). This division lived on until the decimalization of French money in 1793. (As is well known, the system spread to other countries as well. In Britain, the 1 pound = 20 shillings = 240 pence division lasted until 1971.)
Valued Member
United Arab Emirates
75 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2020  08:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mohammadaak to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting piece erafjel, and from one of my favorite European ancient/medieval figures. He had a great relationship with the Abbasids, half the known world away, especially with the famous caliph Harun Al-Rashid, whom he exchanged gifts with.
Valued Member
Learn More...
Sweden
483 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2020  09:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
He had a great relationship with the Abbasids

That was a gap in my knowledge about the Carolingians (now somewhat filled with the help of Wikipedia ). Thanks for the info!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3982 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2020  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have nothing from this era, but I am enjoying the glorious march of these medievals from the Islamic world.
Wow!
Valued Member
United Arab Emirates
75 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2020  03:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mohammadaak to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For the 760-769 CE decade, here's probably the best conditioned dinar that I own. Fully lustrous, sharp strike. An Abbasid dinar, reign of Abu Ja'far Al-Mansur, year AH 152 (769 CE).

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2072 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2020  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@mo....Great looking Dinar

750-759 AD
Here's a 1/2 Drachm from Tabaristan...
Drachm - "Ispahbadh of Tabaristan" Khurshid - 740-760 AD (Tabaristan mint 752/3 AD ).. 2 gram
Obverse-Bust right,crescent in right field, breast ornament with 4 pellets.Pellet above crown to right, Name in Pahlavi.
Reverse- Fire altar with 2 attendants; star left and crescent right of flames.

Edited by Palouche
11/20/2020 2:38 pm
Learn More...
United States
17724 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2020  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, I missed some great coins over the past few days! Strong work everyone.

For today, I can weigh in with another somewhat tattered Abbasid Dirham. I believe that it dates to 759/760 AD and was minted at al-Basra:

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Valued Member
United Arab Emirates
75 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2020  11:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mohammadaak to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's great to see all the Islamics filling the pre-1000 period. This should take us well into the BCE era. I might have some Sasanian drachmas for the 500s.

For 750-759, here's an Abbasid dinar, from the reign of Al-Saffah, the first Abbasid caliph who overthrew the Umayyads. It is minted year AH 133 (750-751 CE), the second year of a few centuries of the Abbasid caliphate.

Learn More...
United States
17724 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's great to see all the Islamics filling the pre-1000 period.

I agree--don't get to post them very often so it's nice to break them out. Today we start the decade of the 740s and unfortunately this is a hole in my collection so hopefully one of you guys can post a coin to keep us moving.
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Page: of 29 Replies: 429 / Views: 26,675Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05