Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Walking Back In Time From 1600 To Antiquity By Decades (V2.0)

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 20
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11375 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2018  11:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting coin @1c5d7n5m. Do you know the nature of that countermark on the obv of that philipsdaalder?
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2643 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2018  12:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wanted to post a coin from the 1550s, but the Image Optimizer broke on me.

Can I post it later today, when the browser recovers?
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2643 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2018  06:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, I think my browser must have recovered, because I had no problems working with the photos now...

I mean, they certainly suck, but that's not really the image optimizer's fault - I just suck that much at coin photography. (Only having a smartphone camera for it doesn't help either.)

Free City of Danzig, denar, 1556.
Very tiny; I forgot how many millimeters exactly.
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
737 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2018  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1c5d7n5m to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Spence

Quote:
Do you know the nature of that countermark on the obv of that philipsdaalder?

yes, this is a counterstamp of the province of Zeeland, in revolt against the king of Spain, made in 1573 in order to collect taxes to pay for the war effort
the other province that made countermarks in the same period (always in the neck of the king) is Holland

source : Dr. H Enno Van Gelder "De Nederlandse Munten" (1970) p77-78
Edited by 1c5d7n5m
01/26/2018 4:29 pm
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
737 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2018  4:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1c5d7n5m to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
HALBERSTADT Taler 1544 Albrecht V
R2 Very nice patina, Holed

OBV: Fourfold coat of arms under hat of the cardinal
in the middle the shields of Mainz, Halberstadt and Magdeburg
ALBERT CARDI ADMI HALBR

REV: St. Stephan branch of palm tree inclined to left, between date
SANCTUS STEPHANUS PROTO MART cross

Schulten 1035, Davenport 9211, Besser/Brämer/Bürger 40.19 Zepernick 297my

my last coin in this thread: I do not collect coins older than this one

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11375 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2018  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I do not collect coins older than this one.

That is a shame as I have greatly enjoyed the coins you have been posting (including that info about the countermark), but perhaps an opportunity for growing your collection.

Here is a schilling minted in Reval by the Livonian Order in 1544 AD. The obv legend is MONE REVALIE 44. and the rev legend is LIV ONI MA CIS. I have it attributed as Saurma 5163.

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Edited by Spence
01/26/2018 5:19 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
11920 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2018  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joseph7420 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1 solidus from the Archbishopric of Riga, 1546:

The date on that coin is pretty hard to read, but the last two digits are located to the left of the eagle. This type was made from 1540 to 1547, and with a full circle visible in hand, the only options for this coin are 1540 and 1546. With that considered, the look of both the eagle and the lettering resemble the 1546 version the closest.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11375 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2018  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Representing the decade of the 1530s on this thread is my 3 Groschen from the German Duchy of Prussia. It is dated 1539 AD with an obv inscription of ALBER DG MAR BRAN DVX PRVSS and a rev inscription of III GROSS AR TRIPLEX ALBER DVC PRVSSIE 1539. It is listed in Krause, but I also have it attributed as Kopicki #3803. I like the remaining detail despite the flan flaws.

-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
4199 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2018  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome coin, Dave. Super rendition of the beard.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11375 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2018  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thx! The prussians know how to do hair right.
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
11920 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2018  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joseph7420 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For the 1530s, I have this 1 falus piece from the Mughal Empire of India. The date written on it is 941, which is around 1535 in the Gregorian calendar:

Pillar of the Community
United States
1955 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2018  11:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Poland. Grosz of Zygmund I 1534 (I do not have a photo of the dated side that I can find).
Hey, 1c5d, I love your Halberstadt thaler. I have a collection of medieval patron saints which I will try to post as we get farther back, and my St. Stephen is a much smaller coin from Metz.

Edited by tdziemia
01/28/2018 11:30 am
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
737 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2018  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1c5d7n5m to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@tdziemia, thanks

I agree, the Halberstadt coin is a beautiful image of St Stephan, and someone in the past reasoned the same and made a hole in it to use the coin as a pendant

a pity for the coin perhaps, but thanks to the fact people put coins in pendants (mounted or holed) makes that very nice coins are still preserved with good patina ; I think that is fascinating

the piece you show above has a very regular strike and an excellent portrait -
looking forward to see other "saint coins"
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11375 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2018  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@tdziemia, great Groszy! Thanks for posting it and I look forward to seeing more from your collection (hopefully with pics of the rev too).

Each day we go back in time by a decade, so technically today is meant for coins dated in the 1520s. To that end, here is a Ottoman Akce dated AH 926 (1524 AD). It was issued under the authority of Sultan Selim I and is attributed as Album A1315. It isn't supposed to be uniface: not clear to me whether the rev didn't strike up well or has suffered a disproportionate amount of wear.

Starting tomorrow, we will be moving on to the 1510s.

-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2643 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2018  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Might as well post my own 1520s coin...

...Sorry, I didn't think to make a pic of the other side back when I posted it on How Far Back Can We Go originally (in, um, April 2013).

Archbishopric of Salzburg, Matthäus Lang von Wellenburg, pfennig, 1521 (I think - the 1 is a bit indistinct). 15 mm, uniface.

This coin was briefly my oldest AD dated coin; within a few weeks, it passed that spot to another Salzburg coin, an 1517 zweier (which I sadly never got around to photographing); to the best of my recollection, said zweier still holds that spot today (and this pfennig is still my second oldest in that category).
Page: of 20 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05