Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Walking Back In Time From 1600 To Antiquity By Decades (V2.0)

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 492 / Views: 31,704Next Topic
Page: of 33
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
591 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2021  12:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One of Justin II & Sophia.

Justin II & Sophia. Decanumnium. Theoupolis (Antioch). 576- 577 AD.
Obverse: Justin at left, Sophia at right, seated facing on double-throne, both nimbate, each holding long sceptre (sometimes topped by a cross) holding globe surmounted by a large cross between them. Obverse Inscription: IVSTINVt AC. Reverse: Large I , ANNO in left field, cross above, XII in right field and THEUP in exergue. Bronze. Diameter: 17 mm. Weight: 3 gr.
Sear #: 383. MIB 63.
Learn More...
United States
18875 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2021  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a Half Follis minted in 577-578 AD also with Justin II and Sophia. I have it attributed as Sear #370. The edge is a bit ragged, but there is some decent remaining detail, especially on the rev.

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
18875 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2021  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And just to mix things up a bit by moving away from the Byzantines, here is a Drachm of the Hephthalite Empire that dates to 570 to 580 AD. The countermark is a beetle and the attribution is Göbl #2404.

-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
18875 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2021  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This Sasanian Drachm was minted at Artashir in about 564 AD (year 33 of Khusru I's reign). I have it attributed as Göbl I/2.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
591 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2021  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hadn't see a coin of the Hephthalite Empire before, and the beetle countermark is pretty cool. A very nice Sasanian too.

It looks like the thread is ready for the 560's now. That's my lot apart from an Anastasius I, 491-518, a Justin I, 518-528, and a Justinian I, 527-565. (Too many decades?)

Justin II & Sophia. Follis. Constantinople. 567-568 AD.
Obverse: Justin, holding cross on globe, left and Sophia, holding sceptre topped by cross, right, both seated facing on double-throne, both nimbate.
Obverse Inscription: DN IVSTINVS PP AVG. Reverse: Large M, ANNO in left field, cross above, IIΙΙ (regnal year 4th) in right field, Γ (officina) below. Exergue: CON. Bronze. Diameter: 30 mm. Weight: 10.6 gr.
Sear #: 360. MIB 43.
Learn More...
United States
18875 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2021  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice addition to the thread @novi. With respect to the maximum dating period for coins that aren't explicitly dated, we have settled in on 11 years for this thread (as long as the first possible year is within the correct decade).
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2233 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2021  04:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's one for the 550's....

Khusro I 531-579AD-AR Drachm-Max 31mm diameter-3.84 grams
Obverse..Facing bust, head right, wearing merlon crown with tassel to left and surmounted by crescent with 3 vertical lines. Crescents at 3, 6 and 9 o'clock. Right of portrait kings name.
Reverse..Fire altar with two attendants standing facing either side of fire altar, wearing tall headgear, both hands on sword hilt. Star and crescent flanking flames of altar. Right-Mint HWC (Gunde-Shapur, Khuzistan) /Left- Regnal year 26 = 557AD.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
591 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2021  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm getting very tempted by these Sasanians, but I have to stick to the bronzes.

Oh, maybe just one?
Learn More...
United States
18875 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2021  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a Sasanian Drachm from a few years earlier (551 AD) than Pauls. I added this to my collection so long ago, it feels like I found it in pocket change.

This one was minted at Guey and is attributed as Göbl I/2.

Onward tomorrow to the decade of the 540s.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
18875 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2021  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a 2.5 Nummia from the Ostrogoths issued by King Badrila. It dates to between 542 and 545 AD and is attributed as Demo #242 and MEC #1, 163.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
18875 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2021  12:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is my earliest bicentennial "coin" (it dates to the 530s AD). This is a Half-Siliqua donative, or distribution medalet) from the Byzantine Empire, with that big ol' letter K standing for Constantinople. I have it attributed as Vagi #3051.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
18875 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2021  09:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a couple coins from the decade of the 520s. First is an Ostrogoth 2.5 Nummia that dates to between 527 and 534 AD. It was minted in Rome and is attributed as Demo 180.

Second up is another Sasanian Drachm. It was minted at Meshan in about 528 AD and is attributed as Göbl III/2 #185.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
18875 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2021  9:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Before dropping back another decade, I wanted to be sure to include this Nummus issued by the Vandal King Hilderic. It dates to between 523 and 530 AD and I have it attributed as Wroth 9 and Grierson 1.24. As I recall, this was one of the first coins that I posted to CCF (red background!) and @bobL helped me with the identification.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
18875 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a Byzantine Follis minted in Nicomedia between 518 and 527 AD. I have it attributed as Sear 88.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3451 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  07:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Neat! Here's my own Justin I, a pentanummium from Antioch (SB 111)...

A version of this type from April-August 527 AD, with the double portrait of Justin I and Justinian I, is said to be the last Roman pagan coin.
Still looking for that one, or for the rumored version from Justinian's sole rule (catalogued as SB 240, never seen one with a legible legend even online, suspect it started out as a misreading of a Justin example). Have about half a dozen of this version now...
Page: of 33 Previous TopicReplies: 492 / Views: 31,704Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05