Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Walking Back In Time From 1600 to Antiquity By Decades (V2.0)

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 20
Pillar of the Community
United States
1441 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2018  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably not the right thread to ask, but in the interest of speed, can anyone point me to a free (or cheap) piece of software that will allow me to compress photos?
I recently bought a new laptop, and the standard photo editing software on it is so basic it lacks the ability to compress to the right size for posting photos here. Plenty to post for the 1510s and 15-oughts if I can shoot and edit after work tomorrow.
Thanks/merci/gracias/grazie/dank u
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2018  11:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use Photoshop with no problemo. I imagine there's online free stuff like my free word processing Word knock off.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2405 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2018  03:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Almost missed my opportunity to post this Henry VIII half Groat 1526-32 18mm 1.2g
Its the last coin I can post here for a while...

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9713 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2018  06:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Glad to see that you slipped it in on time @daviduk!

Here is a Half Groschen from Livonia (Vilnius mint) dated 1515 AD. The obv inscription is "MONETA SIGISMVNDI 1515" while the rev inscription is "MAGNI DVCIS LITVANIE". It is attributed as Huletski #2051HH, Ivan. #1S114-3, and Kopicki #3141. For anyone interested in learning more about Livonian half groschen from the late 15th or early 16th century, I highly recommend this book:

http://goccf.com/t/269477

Tomorrow, we can start the decade of the 1500s. However, I hope to see some more coins from this current decade posted today.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
578 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2018  3:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1c5d7n5m to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DavidUK and Spence,

very nice coins from the end of the middle ages, the time of Thomas More, Luther and Erasmus; around the time religious problems started in Europe
Sorry for my ignorance: the names Groschen and Groat seem related. Are these members of the same family; comparable silver weight ?
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2018  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thought we were past the 1530's so here's my last identified one until the Romans....

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9713 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2018  10:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Groschen and Groat seem related. Are these members of the same family; comparable silver weight ?

I'm sure someone here can parse out the precise difference, but I use them interchangably.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
11920 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2018  12:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joseph7420 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a 1 pólgrosz koronny piece from the Kingdom of Poland. There is no date on this coin, but its type was made from 1501 to 1506:

Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2018  12:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

That coat of arms Joseph looks like a very unhappy pumpkin!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9713 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2018  06:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a Half Batzen of the German Duchy of Bavaria (Munich mint) dated 1506 AD. The obv inscription is "ALBERVS DVX BAVARI F 1506" and the rev inscription is "IVST9 NON DE RELINQVETR". I have it attributed as Schulten #144 and Hahn #7. No pumpkins on this coin.

Tomorrow we move back to the 1490's!
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1132 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2018  11:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add antwerpen2306 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had to wait a long time . It is a medal dated 1507 representing Philip I the Handsome with 4 children , born in the Netherlands.Two children are missing : Ferdinand , not born in the Netherlands and Catherine , not yet born .
obv:ISABEAU MARIE LYENOIR CHARLES : Isabella : queen of Danmark,Norway and Sweden , Mary : queen of Hungary and Bohemia , Eleanor : queen of Portugal and France , Charles : king of Spain and emperor of the Holy Roman Empire .
rev :IN * OMNIBUS * RESPICE * FINEM * A * 1507 : in all things , consider the end .Burgondian cross with a tower , a lion ; a pomegranate and the Golden Fleece , symbolizing Castilia ,Leon ,Granada and the Netherlands .
Ref : Dugniolle884 , 29 mm , 4.5 gr . albert

Pillar of the Community
United States
1441 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2018  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think poster Antwerpen will like this one.
Brabant Florin St. Philippe, Antwerp mint. Duke Philippe le Beau, Type 3 1500-06. Not my coin, but I have the same type, similar grade, same source (Jean Elsen).

I know I'm breaking a rule, as this is not the photo of my coin, but am frustrated with my computer's lack of capability (and my lack of time to deal with it right now). Won't have time till Friday to deal with it, and those decades are flying by!

Edited by tdziemia
01/30/2018 9:01 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1441 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2018  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In brief response to the earlier question, yes, the gros tournois (France) I believe was the ancestral coin to the English groat, central European groschen, Polish groszy and Italian grosso (and others, I am sure) which are all related.

Multiple of the denier / penny / pfennig respectively. The medieval (14-15th c.) versions in my collection are in the 2.5 to 3.5 gram range ... just from memory.

SOunds like there are pros out here who could comment more authoritatively.
Edited by tdziemia
01/30/2018 8:55 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9713 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2018  06:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@tdzemia, yes the decades are flying by indeed! I look forward to more contributions from you this weekend.

Here is my Zincgroschen from the German Duchy of Saxony-Ernestine (Schneeberg mint) dated 1498 AD. The obv inscription is "FR I AL IO DG DVCES SAXONIE" and the rev inscription is "GROSSVS NOVVS DVCVM SAXONIE 98". As an early dated coin from Europe, it is attributed as Levinson I-391a.

For anyone interested in these early dated coins, you could check out this link:

http://goccf.com/t/269713

I hope that we see some others in the next few weeks! Tomorrow, we will work on the 1480s.

-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
1441 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2018  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also from 1498 this Brabant toison d'argent dated 1498 (date between 11:00 and 12:00) in the reign of Duke Philippe le Beau (Philip the Fair), Antwerp mint.

Legend: INICIVN* SAPIENSIE* TIMOR* DOMINI* ANNO*1498

At 28 mm, about the diameter of a U.S. half dollar, it's a nice silver coin for the time.

Edited by tdziemia
01/31/2018 8:26 pm
Page: of 20 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.9 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05