Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Walking Back In Time From 1600 To Antiquity By Decades (V2.0)

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 20
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
11920 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2018  8:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joseph7420 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That coat of arms Joseph looks like a very unhappy pumpkin!

I guess that pumpkin just had a pretty rough life!

-----

Here is a 1 tanka piece from the Indian state of Jaunpur. With the date of 896 written on it, it was made in around 1491 in the Gregorian calendar:

Pillar of the Community
United States
1955 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2018  8:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK ... gotta comment on the pumpkin joke. Those Polish 1/2 grosz coins have an EAGLE on one side and a CROWN on the other.
So, whaddya mean coda ahms? Don't see no coat or arms anywheah!

Joseph, I love those old coins with AH dates. Thanks for reminding us that medieval coins were happening outside of Europe, too.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1955 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2018  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As the hours draw nigh on the 1490s I'll post this undated coin recently won at auction that fits my saints collection.

Bern (Switzerland)Dicken undated, minted around 1492.
Obv St. Vincent, + SANCTUS VINCENCIUS
Rev Bear and eagle, MONETA * NO * BERNENSIS

Unusually massive coin for the era (9.6 g) before arrival of new world silver, sign of civic pride for the wealthy Swiss burghers.

St. Vincent was a deacon of the diocese of Zaragoza Spain who was martyred around 304 AD in the persecutions of Diocletian. How he became a patron saint of Bern is anyone's guess

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11375 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2018  05:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Super example of Bern iconography @tdziemia!

Here is my Double Briquet of the Netherlands Duchy of Brabant (Antwerp mint) dated 1481 AD. The obv inscription is "MARIA DEI D DVCISS B G BR Z LI" while the rev inscription is "SALVV FAC PPLM TVV DNE A 1&81". I have it attributed as Levinson II-54.

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2643 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2018  06:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin wasn't dated narrowly enough to advance the How Far Back Can We Go thread, but it's sufficiently narrow for this one...

Shirvanshahs, Derbendi dynasty, Farrukhsiyar (Farrukhyasar).
AR tanka, third standard (about 2.06 g). Shemakha mint.
Album 2471.3, Zlobin type 043.0, minted 892-4 AH (1487-9 AD), dated 89x (mostly off flan).

Sorry for all the glare in the photos; the coin is in a 2x2 holder.
Edited by january1may
02/01/2018 06:17 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1955 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2018  07:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice sharp double briquet, spence. Brabant is one of those happy hunting grounds for dated 1400s.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11375 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2018  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Brabant is one of those happy hunting grounds for dated 1400s.

I completely agree, but in the interest of mixing things up a little, I'll be posting a coin from elsewhere in the Netherlands tomorrow.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
11920 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2018  10:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joseph7420 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
OK ... gotta comment on the pumpkin joke. Those Polish 1/2 grosz coins have an EAGLE on one side and a CROWN on the other.
So, whaddya mean coda ahms? Don't see no coat or arms anywheah!

I mean, I was talking about the crown. I just assumed that Crazyb0 was talking about the same.

Quote:
Joseph, I love those old coins with AH dates. Thanks for reminding us that medieval coins were happening outside of Europe, too.

I love them too! But from here on in, I think I might only have one more AH-dated coin I will be able to post. I do have a few older ones from some Indian states, but those ones do not have dates on them, and their date-ranges are each over ten years.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1955 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2018  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jumping the gun a bit with a 1475 Brabant double briquet of the previous ruler, Charles le Temeraire (variously translated as "The Bold" or "The Reckless"), father of Marie of Burgundy (coin posted by Spence).

Obv legend: KAROL DEI GR DUX BG BRA Z LI (Charles by the grace of god Duke of Burgundy, Brabant, Zeeland and Limburg)
Rev legend looks same as the earlier Brabant coin:
SALVV FAC PPLM TVV DNE A 1475

Historical context of Charles the Bold, and his daughter Marie. In the 1400s, the House of Burgundy controlled wealthy lands form southeast France to the North Sea (Burgundy, Luxembourg, Flanders, Brabant, Zeeland) legacy of the Carolingian "Lotharingia" and Charles aspired to consolidate this area into a kingdom (as opposed to a string of duchies, counties etc) between France and the Holy Roman Empire.
But Lorraine, allied with the French throne, stood in the way. In a back-and-forth struggle to capture and keep Lorraine he was killed in battle at Nancy Jan. 5, 1477. This was effectively the end of the House of Burgundy, and a pivot point in European history. His only offspring, daughter Marie, married into the Hapsburgs, and served as duchess of Burgundy, Brabant, etc., until her tragic death in a horseriding accident in 1482. Her son Philip ("the fair") became the first Hapsburg king of Spain (as well as duke of Brabant) and began the line of Spanish kings that persists today.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11375 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2018  06:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice Double Briquet @tdziemia.

Here is my Stuiver of Deventer (Netherlands) dated 1472 AD. The obv inscription is "MONETA NOVA DE DAVENTRIA" while the rev inscription is "ANNO DOMIN M CCC LXII". It is a Levinson III-58.

Starting tomorrow at 12:01 am, we can move on to the 1460s.

-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
1955 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2018  08:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is that our first date in Roman numerals?

My only other coin that can be (semi-) definitively placed in the 1470s is this Groschen from Goslar, Germany.
Attribution is Saurma 2145. I have seen this type variously referred to as `1470/71. and just "1470 and after." Glad for any insights on that.

Obv: Standing Saint Matthias. SANCTUS MATHIAS
Rev: Eagle. MONETA NOVA GOSLARIEN

Goslar is in central Germany's Harz Mountains. It was far more important in early medieval times than now, when it was an imperial residence for the Salian and Hohenstaiufen emperors from around 1025 to 1250. The nearby Rammelsberg silver mines would have been an important source of coinage metals.

St. Matthias was the apostle chosen after Jesus' death to replace Judas, and hence the only apostle not personally chosen by Jesus. In Christian iconography, he is seen holding a book (for his preaching) and an axe, the instrument of his martyrdom. The book is not so clear in this picture, but the axe (a tall medieval halberd) is held upright in his left hand.

Edited by tdziemia
02/02/2018 09:01 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1955 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2018  08:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cannot get the reverse photo attached
Learn More...
United States
72000 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2018  09:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Cannot get the reverse photo attached
What is the problem?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1955 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2018  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After attaching the first image, I went down a space, then clicked Upload image, but could not get the window to open. After several tries, I just went ahead and completed the post without it.
I tried a new reply, and still could not get the Upload image window to open.
Probably if I try now, in this post, it will work. Let's see.

Nope.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1955 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2018  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Page: of 20 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05