Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Walking Back In Time From 1600 To Antiquity By Decades (V2.0)

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 20
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
623 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2018  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1c5d7n5m to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spence and tdziemia

interesting to see dates in the 14.. on the double briquets !
what type of numbers in the date have been used?

the Bern coin of yesterday is a gem
Learn More...
United States
68289 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1709 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2018  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1c5d, it is regular arabic numerals on the Brabant double briquets (not Roman), though the 4 is written in an unusual way.
I was lucky to live in Brussels for a few years in the 1990s and spend some time chez Jean Elsen learning about both numismatics and history in that part of the world. Really a special opportunity I will not forget.

The Bern coin required me to review my finances and numismatic priorities, but once in hand ... well, we all know how that goes.

jbuck, thank you and I am embarassed that the problem is that the window gets hidden behind other open windows (my bad).
Edited by tdziemia
02/02/2018 8:44 pm
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
623 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2018  03:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1c5d7n5m to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
tdziemia: indeed, spending time with the Elsen family (today his two sons are very active in the company) is a very good way to discover many beautiful European coins
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10333 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2018  07:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As we pass through the 15th Century, we will see many examples of non-standard numerals and numbering systems for writing the date.

However, for today, my coin just has the usual numbers. This is a Horngroschen from the German Duchy of Saxe-Wittenburg dated 1468 AD. The obv inscription is "E A D G DVCS TVR L MARCH HIS 68" while the rev inscription is very similar "W D G DVX TVR L MARCH HIS". It is attributed as Levinson I-119 and was minted in Freiberg.

Tomorrow brings us back to the decade of the 1450s. In the meanwhile, I hope to see some more coins from the 1460s!

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Edited by Spence
02/03/2018 07:05 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1709 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2018  08:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice! Wittenberg was very much in the news last year, due to the 500th anniversary of the seminal event of the Protestant Reformation, which occurred there.

1c5d: Indeed, it was Olivier who took the time to teach me some things. So I am now a 20 year customer.

Well, I have exhausted my 15th century dated coins, but this undated Brabant florin (Antwerp mint), also from the reign of Charles and hence bracketed by the years 1467-1477 fits. Friedberg 33.
Obv: KAROL DX BG BRAB Z LI
Rev: SANCTVS ANDREAS
Saint Andrew was the brother of Peter, and the second apostle called by Jesus. According to Christian tradition, he was crucified but requested his martyrdom occur on a different type of cross (X shaped).

Edited by tdziemia
02/03/2018 08:40 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4082 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2018  08:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
different type of cross

Interesting reverse! Great coins, all.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2587 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2018  08:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably my last coin in this thread for a while - I don't have a lot of narrowly dated coins after that...

Nurnberg, pfennig, 15x13 mm (chipped), uniface.
Probably Kellner 118, 1465-7.

(The attribution is tentative, and could be wrong. But definite 1460s coins were posted previously anyway.)

(Also sorry for the blurry pic. If I was photographing it today I might well have done it better.)
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
11920 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2018  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joseph7420 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a 1 denár piece from Hungary. Although it has no date written on it, its type was made in 1462:

Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1142 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2018  11:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add antwerpen2306 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice coins , but I like especially the Antwerp coins . albert
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1147 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2018  11:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add orfew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great Britain, House Of York, ND Groat, F, Edward IV, First Reign, 1461-70.
Light coinage. London mint. 25.2mm, 2.9g.
No marks by neck. S-2002. Nice grumpy portrait. Dark toning.
Purchased from Harlan J Berk 201st Bid or Buy sale July 14, 2007 Lot 517

"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Pillar of the Community
United States
1709 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2018  3:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice portrait on that groat, as well as an attractive characteristic my next few will lack: roundness

Quote:
I like especially the Antwerp coins
There will be more.
Edited by tdziemia
02/03/2018 3:28 pm
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
623 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2018  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1c5d7n5m to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice coins today !

I am looking forward to see more Antwerpen coins. The little hand on the florin is great
!
Nice to compare this well known mark of the mint of Antwerp with coins made in later centuries. The name of the city is similar to "handwerpen" (throw a hand) which the legendary Silvius Brabo did 2000 years ago when he defeated the giant Druon Antigoon. The Brabo fountain is in the city center.

The fleshy hand of Antigoon on the 1619 ducaton even has a thumb nail

Pillar of the Community
United States
1709 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2018  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another for your hand collection :

Florin St. Philippe, Friedberg 47 (1500-06). I missed posting this coin last week due to some technology issues.

I think if I only post the mint mark, I don't break the rules?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10333 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2018  9:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think if I only post the mint mark, I don't break the rules?

I'm willing to grant you a one-time exemption.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Page: of 20 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.79 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05