Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Walking Back In Time From 1600 To Antiquity By Decades (V2.0)

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 20
Learn More...
United States
72000 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2018  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
jbuck, thank you and I am embarassed that the problem is that the window gets hidden behind other open windows (my bad).
Ah, yes! That happens to me sometimes in Chrome. I have Firefox configured to open everything in a new tab so I always see it, but Chrome does not play nice and they can sneak in behind the main window.
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
11920 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2018  12:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joseph7420 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A Hungarian 1 denár piece that was made from 1453 to 1454:

Pillar of the Community
United States
1955 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2018  06:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't know there were medieval denars minted with holes. Always learning!

Brabant lion d'or from the Mechelen mint. Friedberg 29 minted 1454-60. Larger than a florin at 30 mm.
Obv: Lion in gothic pavilion, PHS DEI GRA DUX BURG BRAB Z LI DHS ML
Rev: Floriate coat of arms, SIT NOMEN DOMINI BENEDICTUM AMEN
Photos are a bit washed out as I photgraphed late on a dreary gray day here last week.

Edited by tdziemia
02/04/2018 07:12 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11375 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2018  07:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So nice to see that this morning there are already a couple coins posted from the 1450s! Very nice work so far.

Here is my Kreutzer from the Austrian Duchy of Wiener Neustadt dated 1459 AD. The flan cracks on this coin are extensive, but I was still pretty excited about snagging this one. The obv inscription is "FRIDERIC RO IMPERA" while the rev inscription is "ANNO DOMINI 1&^9". Both the numbers 4 and 5 are in the old style. It is attributed as Levinson IV-7 and Szego 2L35.

I provided more information about the wicked cool sigil on the rev here: http://goccf.com/t/260883

Tomorrow, we will head back to the decade of the 1440s.

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
1955 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2018  07:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool to see such old dated examples (I think that guy could have eased up a bit on his hammer ). I was just reading through the introduction in Levenson, and found the pattern of early dated coins very interesting. Why not France , England or Iberia?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11375 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2018  08:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes good question, the concept of putting the minting date on coins spread slowly (as you know from Levinson, the first example was in 1234 AD). While no coins from England or Spain made the 1500 AD cut-off date employed by Levinson, there are a scarce few from France. Here is what I have said previously about the early dated coins of France:

Quote:
And so week 8 begins now. This is the story of the eighth region of early dated European coins: France. Not only do I have no examples of these coins, I can virtually guarantee that you don't have them either. Only three varieties were produced, with one variety existing only as a single specimen in a museum and the other two varieties with no more than three collectible in existence. That said, if you are one of the handful of souls with one of these babies in your collection, please post some pics of that eye candy for us. According to Levinson, of these three varieties, two are unknown in recent auctions, while the other was "claimed by right" by the French government in 1997.

Within France, there were two duchies for early dated coins: Lorraine and Nantes. Interestingly, Lorraine is represented by mints at both Nancy and St. Die. Three different mints, and yet only the tiniest output of these gems for us to add to our collections.

I cannot find any images on-line of these coins to post for your inspection. However, here is a link to the museum which holds the only 1491 Double Gros minted by Nancy:

http://museu.ms/museum/details/5735...emporary-art

Maybe the next time one of our members is visiting Eastern France (specifically Epinal) could check it out and post pics here?

Here is the original thread, which may be of interest to you: http://goccf.com/t/269713
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
1955 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2018  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will have coins from Lorraine to post later, as this is an area I collect, having spent a year in Nancy as a student, but alas, none dated before 1500 (a quarter teston dated 1513 is my earliest from there). Should I ever win the lottery, there is a florin that's one of the few coins with an image of St. Nicholas that I'd really like to have.

I was wondering if maybe it had to do with larger bureaucracies (the royal apparatus in London and Paris) having more inertia. The duchies, counties and free cities in the Low Countries and HRE that feature in early dated coins seem to have been smaller entities for the most part
Pillar of the Community
United States
1955 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2018  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I cannot find any images on-line of these coins to post for your inspection.

FWIW, here is a sketch of the 1491 Lorraine double gros, photographed from de Saulcy, Recherches sur les Monnaies des Ducs Hereditaires de Lorraine.

Bedrock of the Community
Canada
11920 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2018  12:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joseph7420 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I didn't know there were medieval denars minted with holes. Always learning!

As far as I know, there were not any; the hole in mine is just damage.

But speaking about damage, here is another 1 denár piece from Hungary—this time made from 1442 to 1443:

This is not supposed to be a uniface coin...

-----

And just for some clarification: if I have a coin made in a range of less than ten years, and its first year of minting was in 1430, would I post it tomorrow or the day after? Since we started with 1591 to 1600, I would think to post it the day after, but then that would mean posting it in the 1420s.

So... just wondering.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1955 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2018  05:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While we are waiting for the judge's ruling ..

Is this really our first Italian coin? Ferrara quattrino minted in reign of Leonello d'Este 1441-50. Were it not in such rough shape, the obverse legend would read LEONEL MARCHIO. The reverse shows Saint Maurelius, a 7th century bishop of nearby Voghenza. Ferrara is situated between better known cities Venice and Bologna, and was ruled by the Este dukes from early medieval times until 1593 when it came under papal rule after a succession crisis. Biaggi 757

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11375 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2018  06:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And just for some clarification: if I have a coin made in a range of less than ten years, and its first year of minting was in 1430, would I post it tomorrow or the day after? Since we started with 1591 to 1600, I would think to post it the day after, but then that would mean posting it in the 1420s.

I agree that this all seems quite confusing. To simplify, let's just go strictly by decades: when we are on the 1440s (like today), then please post coins (first) minted between 1440 and 1449 AD. Tomorrow post coins (first) minted between 1430 and 1439 AD. I recognize that we now have a slight wrinkle in time somewhere by shifting this thread, but that seems ok to me. Sound ok to y'all? If so, I'll clarify on the initial post so that folks don't need to keep digging down to this specific post.
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11375 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2018  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As we are still on the decade of the 1440s, here is my Groschen from the German Archbishopric of Cologne (Riehl mint). It is dated 1447 and has an obv inscription of "MONE NOVA RILE" and a rev inscription of ADNI M CCC XLVII". It is attributed as Levinson I-81.

Tomorrow, we will move back to the 1430s!
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
1955 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2018  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
GREAT coin. I have a similar type from Mainz, (sadly) undated and 20-30 years later, for the St. Peter image.

Since I am new here, I don't know everyone's collecting focus, but seems clear early dated (European) coins is a strength of yours, much to our benefit.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11375 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2018  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the kind words @tdziemia! I've got a couple more decades of this thread that I can cover with dated coins.

Here was the full Levinson thread from a year and a half ago:

http://goccf.com/t/269713
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
1955 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2018  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think with the current "rules of the road" we are getting good participation and interest.

It forced me to look at my collection in a slightly different way, so I now know I'll be active through the 1200s, then sporadic till 1100. Then a spectator.

But I love learning from what gets posted!

Page: of 20 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.82 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05