Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Some Specimen Stocks And Bonds

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2018  01:29 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Tonight I thought I'd post a few of my specimens; one of my favorite sub-collections. Specimens are considerably scarcer than most issued stock certificates, often only a dozen were printed. In the last decade or so interest (and prices) have been growing. I used to find these in the '80s and '90s for $5 or less; today you're lucky to find them at $15, usually more.

They were produced for a variety of reasons, but most often surviving examples are those that were kept in the files of the issuing company or the bank note printing company.

Most of my specimens were printed by the American Bank Note Co. The other two major bank note printers were Security BNC and Columbian BNC. Security-Columbian combined in 1957 to form what eventually became United States Bank Note Corp.

I'll start out posting some from the major printers, and follow up later with specimens by the smaller bank note firms.

American Bank Note:

Columbian Bank Note

Security Bank Note

Security-Columbian Bank Note

Edited by GregAlex
01/27/2018 01:33 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2018  08:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wonderful group and great flat photos.
Pillar of the Community
United States
895 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2018  10:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thisistheshow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for posting. Those are quite beautiful. I know little about anything in this sub forum but have been enjoying the content since joining here.

So were the specimens, in the case of being kept by the issuer, just like blank examples, or templates of the sort? If that is way off, excuse me, but I am brand new to any non- coin subject.

Thanks again for sharing these!
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2018  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Show -- welcome to the new sub-forum! I think specimens are pretty nice myself. Sometimes these are the only remaining examples of a particular stock or bond variety. And some varieties were never issued, just designed in advance, and then the client decided they didn't like the design or the color or the bond type wasn't needed after all.

American Bank Note company (and I assume other banknote printers) kept extensive archives with specimens of pretty much everything they produced. Here are specimens of an award certificate, a medicine bottle label, and a certification for an insurance agent.

Specimens were sometimes given out as sales samples, to show other clients what their stock or bond might look like. But ABNC always kept at least one specimen on file, which was stamped "Last Specimen--Reserve". Here's an example.

As for specimens retained by the business client, I suspect this was a legal requirement. If not, then most businesses at least wanted to have a sample for their files, in case they decided to have more printed, but chose to take the printing business somewhere else. (ABNC did great work, but they were the most expensive.)

Here's a specimen that was probably retained for legal reasons. On the back it's signed by the company secretary -- whose engraved facsimilie signature appears on the front.

Edited by GregAlex
01/27/2018 5:07 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4010 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2018  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great looking specimens Greg
ANA member: 3178122
NTCA member: 10118
Learn More...
United States
78564 Posts
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2018  02:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a more modern specimen from U.S. Banknote Corp. from 1976. I think USBNC was trying to create name recognition for itself with the intent of phasing out the Security-Columbian Banknote brand.

Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2018  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, some specimens of the smaller banknote companies. Most of these little fish eventually got swallowed by the larger firms like ABNCo and S-CBNCo.

Hamilton Bank Note Co. - New York

Republic Bank Note Co. - Pittsburgh

E.A. Wright Bank Note Co. - Philadelphia

Northern Bank Note Co. - Chicago

Central Banknote Co. - Chicago

Kihn Brothers Bank Note Co. - New York
Pillar of the Community
United States
4010 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2018  07:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice adds to the thread Greg. I like how the last one gives you a listing of colors options available.
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2018  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are my only "foreign" specimens.

De La Rue Bank Note Co., well known London-based security printer, tried to enter the U.S. market in the 1960s under their own name and as Federated Bank Note Co. But they never got much traction and eventually gave up.

Bradbury Wilkinson & Co, also in London, was founded in 1856. The company was acquired by American Bank Note in 1903, but continued to use its own name until closing shop in 1990.

Edited by GregAlex
01/29/2018 5:27 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4010 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2018  08:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting I have a stock certificate printed by
De La Rue Bank Note Co - E.J. Korvette, Inc. 1964
Federated Bank Note Co - Builders Investment Group 1975.

I did not realize it was the same company. Great information Greg!
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2018  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've got those, too! :-) Much of my information comes out of "The Engraver's Line" and "The International Engraver's Line" both by Gene Hessler. These books are must-haves for collectors of stocks, bonds, and currency.

Okay, here's my oldest specimen (circa 1880) and the only one marked with a hand-written "Sample". It's from Excelsior Bank Note Company. Though it may not look like much, it is probably my rarest piece, too. In 30+ years of collecting, I've only seen one specimen bond from Excelsior and this is it. The company was only in existence for about 10 years; mostly likely it was founded with the hope of getting in on the printing of National Bank Notes (before the BEP brought everything in-house). But they didn't manage to secure any government contracts and quietly dried up.

I happen to have a vignette proof of "The Gleaner" which is how I spotted this specimen when I saw it up for bid.

Edited by GregAlex
01/30/2018 5:54 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4010 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2018  10:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a great specimen to be a centerpiece of a collection. And the proof vignette is beautiful. From what you have shown in this forum, you have an outstanding collection

Learn More...
United States
78564 Posts
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2018  03:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
"From what you have shown in this forum, you have an outstanding collection."

Thanks, Scott, I appreciate the compliment. I've been at it for about 40 years now. For a long time I toiled in silence, until I came across a paper money forum about 10 years ago. As I started posting images and learning from other members I realized the hobby is a lot more fun when you share. Now I'm on about five forums and I try to post interesting stuff in hopes of inspiring other collectors to get more active and share what they find.
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2018  03:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a neat one I forgot to post. Very small specimen bond from an obscure little Mexican railroad:

Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.01 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05