Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This The Coin From Page 324 Charltons 65th?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1624 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2018  7:40 pm Show Profile   Check gidjit's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add gidjit to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
from what I understand is this is the coin from the large cent variety section repunched 888. it just that I have a hard time seeing the repunched digits and have seen better rp'd 8's out there that arent so mildly punched

please check out my collection of large cents from 1858 - 1920 (under construction)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...l=4b87156114
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1390 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2018  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canadian-varieties to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is the coin from p.324 (die crack in front of C in Canada on obverse), however it's not a variety. it's a vanilla 1888.

Of the minor criticisms I may have about Charlton 2011, the 1888s were not well done...

But that's a very minor criticism...there simply wasn't space for all the wonderful repunched 8s that are seen in the 1888s and there are MANY...

Edited by canadian-varieties
02/04/2018 7:49 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2386 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2018  8:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The purpose of the 65th edition was to show the different kinds of varieties that were available or possible for all of the Vicky dates. We had to include varieties for each date and what MIGHT be found. The '88 shown on p 324 showed one that had all 3 of the 8's repunched. There were many many different reverses we could have put in, but we chose this one (all 3 8's)to demonstrate that all the digits could be doubled .. the example was, by far, not the one with the offsets most prevalent. We had only 80 pages to use, so a great deal was left out. We could have done better given 100 or 120 pages.

As far as your photo, gidgit, I can't tell if it's the one on 324, because it wasn't taken head on perpendicular so I can't see the underpunches due to shadow.
Edited by okiecoiner
02/04/2018 8:37 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1363 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2018  10:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In regards to the photo's in the book gidjit or anyone else trying to figure out what coin suits what photo this is a tool that I use to enlarge the photo it works well it 10 power and it also works good for computer monitor to help identify varieties. Its hard to tell but its about 6" long when open
Edited by papeldog
02/05/2018 10:36 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
676 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2018  12:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gidjit, this is the correct coin from Page 324 of the 2011 Cat.
It has also been covered in an earlier post check it out.
http://goccf.com/t/246674#246674

Cheers, Bill
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05