Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can we post a complete commemorative collection?

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 69
Pillar of the Community
United States
866 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2018  08:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Beefer518 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
1682 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2018  09:02 am  Show Profile   Check bandsdean's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add bandsdean to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like this thread as it is showing me some moderns that I really haven't noticed before. I've even seen one that I'll be getting in the near future! Well, here's my Bridgeport....

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15716 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2018  09:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Back to the classic commemorative s. Until everyone started posting all of the newer issues I was unaware of their depth.

Pillar of the Community
United States
866 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2018  10:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Beefer518 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a beauty Moxking!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15716 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2018  10:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Beefer. You really have to be careful on these graded 65 and 66 from either PCGS or NGC. The huge open spaces on the reverse show every little tiny nick or scratch, and even when graded at 65 or 66, often have a reverse that is just not attractive.

It took me 3 years of looking at something like 120 of these before I finally fell in love with this one.

As you may note, I have both PCGS and NGC coins in my collection. Yes, the coin is what is being purchased, but unless you do your research and constant checking on these classic commemorative s, you can buy one just for the grade and have a problem child that you will regret owning every time you see it.

This is an example of a fairly inexpensive coin, even in 66, that you might need to "upgrade" if you are not picky on the reverse.

So in a nutshell, don't let P T Barnum sell you any silver halves.
Pillar of the Community
United States
616 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2018  10:09 am  Show Profile   Check BadDog's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice Bridgeports everyone

That art deco eagle seems representative of the era.

Quote:
Until everyone started posting all of the newer issues I was unaware of their depth.

They cover a pretty broad range of subjects, but there are probably too many Olympics coins. However, with the proof/uncirculated versions and the half eagle/dollar/half dollar denominations, there are many ways to collect the series.
Learn More...
United States
60204 Posts
Valued Member
United States
145 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2018  10:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coronet1832 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow - thanks for sharing. These are some super coins!

Came across this in a NY Times article about the coin:

Quote:
Glorifying P. T. Barnum -- the man credited with saying ''There's a sucker born every minute'' -- with a coin has often been questioned.

But far more criticized was the sculptor's rendition of the eagle, which one numismatic publication termed, ''The biggest joke as a specimen of our noble bird that ever appeared on a coin.''

The article went on to deride the eagle's ''tin-roof'' surface and total lack of feathers and suggested that it would make a fine shark.

Personally, I like the Art Deco eagle - adds nice variety.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28168 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2018  11:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
mox - Great Bridgeport. To me, this is one of the best eagle depictions on US coins.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15716 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2018  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, Frog. This is just one of the many commemorative issues in the 1935-38 time frame that really had no business being produced.

But we got that eagle which can't be forgotten once you've seen it.

MS 63-65 are just plain cheap when comparing mintages. A cool selection for a 7070.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28168 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2018  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just Deco at its very best.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8648 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2018  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That eagle is big and bold. Don't mess with him!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6395 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2018  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Absolutely the best (IMHO) art deco eagle ever seen on a USA mint coin ... the coins designer Henry G. Kreis used a similar art deco eagle motif on his design for the 1935 Connecticut Tercentenary Half Dollar ...

The Bridgeport eagle is squatting ... the Connecticut eagle is strutting ... at least that I how I see them.

Commemorative fans unfamiliar with the classic silver series will get to see Henry Kreis Connecticut eagle design when it comes due in this thread ... or you easily find the images ... trust me ... both eagle designs are way fun.

To this coin ... 1936 Bridgeport (CT) Centennial Half Dollar ...

I've made the decision to participate in this great thread by sharing examples from my circulated set ... and ignore my PCGS MS/CAC type set of classic silver commemorative.

There will be many (hopeful) MS examples shown.

Soooo ... for the Bridgeport:

1936 Bridgeport (CT) Centennial Half Dollar - PCGS XF40

Rare circulated example indeed.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28168 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2018  6:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perfect circulated example, totally different feel from the MS ones. Congrats, I love it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8648 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2018  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I have to have this coin.
Page: of 69 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.82 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05