Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can we post a complete commemorative collection?  

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 69
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
26632 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2018  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Right, but I'll bet a lot has changed since then!
Pillar of the Community
United States
729 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2018  7:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Let's build a complete set of commemoratives starting with 1892 and going up to present day.

It's my understanding from the OP's rules that this is a combined classic and modern venture, correct? I think that would make for an especially interesting and fun thread going in alphabetical order as we get to see the two different series together.
Searching for some US modern coins (cents through dollars) via my want list.
Valued Member
United States
145 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2018  7:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coronet1832 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, you guys are a tough crowd! Here's a revised alphabetical list with classics and moderns. I just posted the start and will edit with new listings soon. Still looking for Alabama!

Alabama, 1921
Albany, 1936
American Independence, 1926
Antietam, 1937
Arkansas, 1935-39
Bald Eagle, 2008
Bill of Rights, 1993
Black Revolutionary War Patriots, 1998
Boone, Daniel, 1934-38
Botanic Garden, 1997
Boy Scouts, 2010
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
26632 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2018  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You da man!
Valued Member
United States
145 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2018  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coronet1832 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
okay, I revised my original post with the order - let's see some of those commems!
Pillar of the Community
United States
864 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2018  12:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Beefer518 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, finally something to keep me coming back! I'll get it started with my Alabama 2x2;

Pillar of the Community
United States
864 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2018  12:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Beefer518 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Questions -
Is it a type a day? Ie, I posted the Alabama 2/8/18 Eastern, so is it an Alabama day all day?
And what about multi-year issues? Are all the Arkansas on day 5, or is it 1935 Arkansas on day 5, 1936 Ark day 6, '37 Ark days 7, etc?
Pillar of the Community
United States
864 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2018  01:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Beefer518 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, and I was thinking the 1925 Norse Medal might want to be in there as well.
Valued Member
United States
145 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2018  01:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coronet1832 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is it a type a day? Ie, I posted the Alabama 2/8/18 Eastern, so is it an Alabama day all day?
And what about multi-year issues? Are all the Arkansas on day 5, or is it 1935 Arkansas on day 5, 1936 Ark day 6, '37 Ark days 7, etc?

Great coin Beefer518!

I thought about doing a type per day but wasn't sure people would have time enough to respond, so I thought we could just play it by ear (famous last words).

Multi-year issues should be posted at the same time since we switched from yearly posts to alphabetical posts. The Norse Medal technically isn't a commemorative but a medal, but if you post it when we get to N, no one will stop you
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3796 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2018  01:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The Norse Medal technically isn't a commemorative but a medal, but if you post it when we get to N, no one will stop you

Always a touchy subject with me.

While it's true that the Norse-American Centennial pieces are medals vs. coins, saying that they are not part of the classic US commemorative series is wrong, IMO.

The medals followed the same process as each of the coins:

1. A bill for them was introduced in Congress.
2. The bill was debated in Congress and ultimately passed by the House and Senate.
3. The bill was signed into law by the current President (in this case, Calvin Coolidge).

This legislative path is what makes them a very close match to the coins and a true member of the classic series.

Also of note, the silver and gold pieces were struck on presses used for coins.

(The large format silver-plated bronze medal was struck on a press used for the Mint's high-relief medals.)

Here's a link to one of the posts I did about them: Norse-American Centennial Medals

Collecting history, one commemorative coin (or medal) at a time!
Original content (c) Commems, 2012-2018
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3796 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2018  02:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are my Alabama coins, Plain and 2x2:

Collecting history, one commemorative coin (or medal) at a time!
Original content (c) Commems, 2012-2018
Learn More...
United States
57920 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
26632 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2018  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
commems - Oh yeah!

I think it's Alabama all day. Hope so - would like to see other examples!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
954 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2018  1:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is there a daily schedule set for these (e.g. Feb 9 is Albany, Feb 10 is American Independence Sesquicentennial...), to help us plan and stay in line?
Working on: Franklin halves (now complete!), Peace dollars (three to go), US type (Bust era), and just started Chinese pandas.

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Valued Member
United States
464 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2018  1:40 pm  Show Profile   Check BadDog's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think it's Alabama all day. Hope so - would like to see other examples!

Actually, if this thread is now mixing the classic and modern commemoratives in alphabetical order using the first word in the coin's name, IMHO it shouldn't even be Alabama day.

I believe that the modern 2009 Abraham Lincoln Commemorative Silver Dollar would come first.
Page: of 69 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.74 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05