Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1968 Missing "A" 50 Cent Piece  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
4538 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2018  10:54 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I thought I had all the 50c coins but I just found out about this one. I didn't see it listed in my 71st Edition of Charlton. Can anyone tell me about it? Was this a business strike or only PL issue or both?
*Complete Canada 50 cent set 1953-present

*Complete Canada Toonie ($2) set 1996-present

*And just a mix of everything else!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4340 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2018  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think they only appear on business strikes.
You can also find missing a "A" or other letters
in nearly every year between 1968 and 1976.
There is also a rare 1974 missing "S".
These missing letters were caused by weak strikes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4538 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2018  2:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks! Any particular reason Charlton doesn't list them?
*Complete Canada 50 cent set 1953-present

*Complete Canada Toonie ($2) set 1996-present

*And just a mix of everything else!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4340 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2018  2:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably because of being caused by a weak strike,
they are more of an error coin than a variety.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3472 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2018  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's mine

Sorry a bit out off focus

Please feel free to view my Gallery
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10523
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1383 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2018  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice Strike Doubling. plus I see a detached flower bulb. nice coin.
Learn More...
Canada
7923 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  3:41 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
These missing letters were caused by weak strikes.

These were not weak strike phenomena... the 1974 Missing S was a die polishing mistake and progressive die filling was responsible for the Missing A, Missing AD and Missing <other letters in the lower banner>
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
501 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alex A to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1968 "missing A" are easy to find. Most coin shops will usually have a few for sale.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05