Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Maurya Empire silver Karshapana's  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Learn More...
United States
21515 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  05:07 am Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The Maurya Empire the largest empire to exist in India, including present day Pakistan and Afghanistan existed from 322-187 BC. It was founded by Chandragupta. It's third emperor Ashoka 268-232 BC was it's greatest.

Out of the Ancient Indian coin series I have a particular liking for the punched marked coins from this empire. This coins are usually advertised as Karshapana of the emperor Ashoka, when in fact there is no way to tell which emperor the coin was struck. The series lasted from te begining to the end of the emperor.

The coins appear from somewhat square to round, with the round coins appearing towards the end of the empire. The weight varies from around 3.10 - almost 4 grams. They usually have a least five punch marks of various images on the obverse and one image on the reverse. This does vary at times.

Here is a group of ten Karshpana's I recently picked up.

I've also included a wikipedia link to tne histry of the empire along with a link to Coin India.

http://coinindia.com/galleries-maurya.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurya_Empire
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7882 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  05:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ron, this is a great subject for a thread as there are several of us who have dabbled in this area, but haven't given it serious study. I look forward to seeing what you've picked up!
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
14464 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  05:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The cheapest ancient silver coins you can get.
Learn More...
United States
21515 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  06:00 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought them as a group for around $6 each.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2484 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  06:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The cheapest ancient silver coins you can get.
If they are, I haven't seen one yet. I'd love to get one of those for $6, or even for $16...

Also, when I opened this thread, I saw the lower picture first, and thought "why is there a photo of cookies in a coin forum? ...oh."
I know there were cuneiform tablet cookies. Did anyone ever try to make karshapana cookies?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2309 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  06:52 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting thread. Thank you for the information.
http://goccf.com/t/303774
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
United States
3612 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  08:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice group of karshapanas there, Ron.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
788 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  09:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coins Ron...I'm very interested in these type of coins..

On a recent thread of mine I think it was Finn who said 'Gupta and Hardaker's'
book was a good reference source..Do you have it?

Will you be giving us a breakdown of these coins?

Paul
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5024 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  11:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice group of coins there, Ron! I've got a handful that I really need to get photographed. If I can add a few more points of info:

- Chandragupta Maurya is said to have usurped his position from Dhana Nanda, the last Magadha king in 321 BC. The prospect of having to fight the Magadha empire had made Alexander the Great's troops mutiny and demand to return home - this created an immense power vacuum. Since Chandragupta was already "in" and Dhana's subjects largely hated him, the entire empire switched allegiance when Dhana was killed or exiled. Chandragupta was then able to conquer all of war-devastated northern India with ease.

- The Karshapana denomination actually stated over a century before 321, and I have read that late Magadha karshapanas are indistinguishable from Maurya coins. Maybe Gupta & Hardaker's book can shed more light on this?

- I've read that these coins were made by cutting up huge sheets of silver into squares, and then clipping as necessary to attain the ideal 3.4g weight. When they were certified, they would then be punched with the various symbols. I am really curious to know how some of them came to be round, however, unless those were intended for international trade?
New Sale! Inexpensive classic Greek silver, over 2,400 years old!

http://goccf.com/t/323297
Learn More...
United States
21515 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  2:43 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No I don't have Gupta & Hardaker's book, I do have Sambhu Nath Mondal book "Ancient Indian Coins Decoding of their Indus-Brahmi inscriptions with special emphasis on the Punch Marked Coins and a copy of Thomas book on ancient Indian coinage.

I need to see about getting a copy of the G & H book.

I seem to recall recently reading a thread in the Indian Coins Collector group that Magadha coins can been identified by the fish symbol on the reverse.

Thanks all for your replies.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
14464 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am asking myself:
"Why are they so cheap and available?"

Have any very large hoards of them, that have been discovered in the last few decades?
Learn More...
United States
21515 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't heard of any being found recently. Outside of India I don't think there are many collectors, it's not that a specific ruler can be pinned down which I would guess doesn't make them very appealing.

However I have noticed over the last couple of years that in some areas of Indian coinage collectors have started to become more Interested. For example the Western Satrap series, prices have climbed from a few dollars per coin into a hundred or more dollars now. All in just a few years.

So maybe these coins still remain cheap because the supply is more than the demand. Which suits me just fine.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5024 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure about Mauryan coins, but I have read that the most common Gadhaiya types are periodically found in hoards of several tens of thousands which of course will take decades to sell to all seven collectors of that series.

I figure the Mauryan coins are a similar tale.
New Sale! Inexpensive classic Greek silver, over 2,400 years old!

http://goccf.com/t/323297
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7882 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
all seven collectors

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Learn More...
United States
21515 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  8:20 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And half of them are here.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05