Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1882 Large Cent Varieties

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
United States
820 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2018  1:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To follow Bill's comments, I think all of the true obverse 1 1882-H cents have a SSN. I have not looked at it in a long time, so I am not positive of it, but I think the double serifs all come from 1A, 1 over 1A, and 2 cents from 1882. As I recall a few 1A dies were left with SSN also.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1393 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2018  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice coins bosox congrats on your treasures and all with very nice grades thanks for posting them.

Thanks to Okie for correcting my post and helping me out on this post I think I got them right now I edited some things.

I thank Hounddog Bill for the excellent photo of type 1 2/1.

Spp I agree Quad punched D sounds better than Micro D I changed that as well on the post.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2586 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2018  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To add to bosox's comments on the true Obv 1 and the single serif, I add the following. It is by no means conclusive, just some research. I just looked through over 100 Obv 1's, 1a's and 1/1a's and found the following:

Of the 50 Obv 1a/1's of the 50 that I looked at, there were 5 that had a single serif N. I found only 7 true Obv 1's and they all were single serif. Of the true Obv 1a's, I found only 4 of the single serifs from the 50 or so that I found that were single serif. As soon as I find the box that has the remainder of the 1876, 1881, and 1882's that I loaned to a researcher, I may have some additional numbers. But, suffice to say, I'd be on the lookout for a true Obv 1 that has a full (or overpunched, full serif. And, if you find an 1882 that is a true (not overpunched with a 1a die) Obv 1, then it's a keeper. I sure wish that someone from Chicago would chime in on these Obv 1 dilemas.
Pillar of the Community
United States
820 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2018  5:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good luck with the true Obv 1 with double serifs. I may be wrong, but I doubt they exist. Same with Obv 2 with SSN.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2586 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2018  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wholeheartedly agree, bosox, but we have to keep hopes up. I am a firm believer that it would be impossible to find an Obv 2 with a single serif. And I don't think that there could be a true Obv 1 with full or overpunched serifs. But, one die from 1881 DID sneak through (a single serif anomaly), so it's a possibility (though very very slim) that there would be one for 1882 as well. 1881 and 1882 is really a mass of confusion as they tried to use up all of the tired 1876 dies (to save money) to placate a Canadian customer .. London didn't really care too much what they gave, essentially, a colony .. Canada was just paying the bill for their services for an everyday common usable commodity.
Edited by okiecoiner
02/14/2018 5:21 pm
Valued Member
United States
386 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2018  9:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dan-in-crystal-lake to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have not seen an Obv. 1 other than a single serif N in a study group of right around 400 coins. I have always liked the Quad D coin because it's very easy to see. papeldog, you are getting a nice collection of these puppies. Rob, it is always a pleasure looking at bits of your collection. Okiecoiner, don't loose that box!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1442 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2018  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fourmack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I be-leave that this is an OBV 1 due to the apostrophe

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2586 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2018  06:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
fourmack ... I don't know what you mean by "apostrophe", but that's an Obv 1. You can tell by the shape of the neck truncation. It comes to a sharp point and you can't see any kind of a little "dimple" in it as it approaches the bead. A 1a will be more rounded and end just a tad further from the bead. There is also differences on the crown tip, but they are hard to see on well-circulated coins. The 1882 true Obv 1, with the single serif, is the exact same as any 1876 .. that's where the dies came from and were made.
Pillar of the Community
United States
596 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2019  3:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To resurrect this thread, I'm having a hard time understanding the single serif N varieties.

Which obverses can have SSN and which ones (as far as known) cannot?

Thanks.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2586 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2019  3:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ALL 1876's, except patterns or proofs have a single serif "N" in Regina and Canada. There was a single 1881 die that had single serif N's ... a working die that snuck through. For '81, they used the working dies left over from'76 and handpunched a full serif into each one (except the mystery die which is extremely scarce). In 1882, until the new Obverse 2 portraits were all done, the Mint again used old 1876 stuff and handpunched full serifs into them. The handpunches for '81 & '82 took 3 whacks or so with the hammer & punch, maybe hours or days apart, since the punch had to be hardened and the die annealed to do it. As such, the N's in '81 & '82 have some well-offset repunches, especially the 82's.

You REALLY have to look closely at the different actual Obv types, as you have 1, 1a, 1a/1, 2, 2/1, 2/1a and they even messed around with 3 so you can't tell every time about the long-crossbar E's on the 3's. 1892 had the N in Regina serif broken off the foot. It's hard to find an Obv 2 '92 with a full foot'd "N". 1892 has Obv 2, 3, & 4. If you are going to study these, you need some books or guides ... there's lots to learn.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1404 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  03:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canadian-varieties to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are at least 5 different obverse dies that have the Single Serif N in the 1882H, all five are relatively common. It's fun to sit down and sort them out, see which ones have the Horseshoe O, which ones dont
Valued Member
United Kingdom
317 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2019  06:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookeeperz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am glad I stumbled upon this page.I have a few Canadian Viccy Cents that have tortured me for months. Could anyone clarify which obverse this is. I first thought it was obverse 1 but it has single serifs but also where I marked on the pic is another truncation outline outside the struck one that finishes closer to the beads. Would that make it possibly 2/1 obverse? TIA

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2586 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2019  07:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can not see clearly the tip of the neck truncation with the bead. You have either an Obv 1 (like 1876) or a 1a/1. Those will have a small "dimple" or irregularity near the tip of the neck truncation. It looks like a 1 to me and it definitely is NOT a 2/1, which extends the neck truncation over 1/2 bead so that the tip is well inside the space between the 2 beads.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
317 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2019  1:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookeeperz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Okie it's 1a/1 then as there are tiny dotted imperfections that look like an outline of another truncation
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1393 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2019  12:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I sent a batch of coins to PCGS for grading and proper identification of variety. Out of the 8 coins I sent 3 coins graded never mentioned the variety even though I sent the proper variety number if one was available or where they can verify it in the Charlton 72nd edition on my submission form.

2 of the coins I can understand as they have no variety number assigned to them from PCGS that I could find but they listed in the 72nd edition of Charlton coins.

But the 1882 DDO has a proper # but PCGS never made note of it on certificate.

I sent them an detailed email this morning with all the info as to where to look and verify but I don't think it gets to the graders as they sent an email right back telling me to phone the 1-800 # again the receptionist.

I called and talked to her two days in a row now and I still don't know what's happening with them, I asked if the email I sent went to the grader or into the trash and I got the impression it went in the trash as I had to explain the whole thing again to her today after I sent the email
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.07 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05