Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Heading Down In The Mines

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2018  5:16 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Among stock and bond collectors, probably the second most popular theme after railroads is mining. There were a lot of small mines and a lot of stock certificates to go with them. Many of these were issued for booming gold and silver mining areas in the West and quickly went belly up. I prefer the larger companies that issued engraved certificates.

Dixie Gold is the type of stock certificate I usually don't collect, since it has no vignettes. But this one is serial number A1, so I made an exception.

These mines are more my style:

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2018  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's easy to see the appeal. I would think currency collectors would cross over to those.

Love those vignettes.
Rest in Peace
United States
7075 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2018  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those are gorgeous. Thanks for posting.

Learn More...
United States
78501 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4004 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2018  11:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great stocks Greg!

Really like the Plymouth Rock one.
ANA member: 3178122
NTCA member: 10118
Learn More...
Canada
8655 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2018  2:22 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That old air hammer drill is also seen on the NFLD $2 banknote...

"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2018  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's an exact vignette match-up, SPP, produced by American Bank Note Co. I was thumbing through an old Charlton catalog the other day and the vignettes used on both stock certificates and Canadian currency are numerous. At least I can afford the stocks!

Edited by GregAlex
02/19/2018 4:26 pm
Learn More...
United States
78501 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2018  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That old air hammer drill is also seen on the NFLD $2 banknote...

Quote:
Here's an exact vignette match-up, SPP, produced by American Bank Note Co. I was thumbing through an old Charlton catalog the other day and the vignettes used on both stock certificates and Canadian currency are numerous.
Very interesting.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4004 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2018  08:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I always like seeing a vignette shared on a note - check - or stock/bond.
ANA member: 3178122
NTCA member: 10118
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2018  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a couple Mexican match-ups...

Edited by GregAlex
02/22/2018 5:28 pm
Learn More...
United States
78501 Posts
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2018  03:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a fun one from Ahmeek Mining, with a beaver vignette!

Learn More...
United States
78501 Posts
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2018  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This thread needs a bump and fortunately a really nice mining stock arrived today. This is a 1919 cert for the Verde Combination Copper Company; their mines were close to Jerome, AZ. The stock certificate was produced by Republic Bank Note, a predecessor of U.S. Banknote Corp.

This is quite a detailed vignette when you study it, from the dog and donkey to the piece of bread the miner is holding. They even added some depth by extending his foot beyond the frame. And another reason I picked it up was because it shares the same vignette as an early souvenir card issued at the 1966 SIPEX show.

Learn More...
United States
78501 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2018  11:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This thread needs a bump and fortunately a really nice mining stock arrived today.
A nice pairing! Well done.

Looks like that fella is on a well deserved break.
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2018  6:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I rediscovered some wonderful reprints yesterday in the "Opening of the West" series. This was a 1978 series of 10 booklets on various subjects of the early West, from lumberjacks and railroads to buffalo hunters and the Indian nations. It was a collaboration between American Bank Note Co, which supplied original engravings, and Time/Life Books, which compiled the historical text.

There were a number of stocks and banknotes reprinted for the series from the original plates and noted on the backs. Some of the originals are quite rare, so I'm grateful these were made available to collectors.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.06 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05