Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

RD14/Oa1..a Rare W9/8...1859 Victoria Cent

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3234 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2018  11:40 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add DEVLEC to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here is an example of a newer find in the overdated W9/8 cents.

An RD14 reverse mated with the more often seen OA1 obverse.

I think that there are "at least" 15 reverses known at this time.

This reverse has a noted repunch in the "O" in ONE.

Does anyone else here have this variety ?

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1390 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2018  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one DEVLEC its nice when you get more than one variety on the same coin I like the DP O's
Pillar of the Community
United States
700 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2018  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin DEVLEC!

I recently started looking at expanding my 1859 collection to include the W9/8 die pairs. In searching the forum for information, I came across this older thread and appreciate the photos which will help a lot in searching for this one, since it's not in Rob's book.

Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
820 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2018  12:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OA1/RD14 and OA1/RD15 appeared after my book was published, for a current total of 22 die pairs. I would categorize RD14 as very scarce and RD15 as rare. This is RD15.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/canada/can...yBids-101116
Pillar of the Community
United States
700 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2018  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the link to the RD15. That will help!
Pillar of the Community
United States
820 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2018  1:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To help me assess the rarity, I would appreciate knowing if anybody finds an RD13, RD14, or RD15. I know of three or four RD14's. My RD13 and RD15 are the only ones I have seen in over fifteen years of actively searching W9/8 cents. There have to be more out there, but probably not many.
Pillar of the Community
United States
820 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2018  5:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
BTW, the only RD15 I have seen, is on a coinage axis cent. Since the mintage of RD15 cents is obviously very, very low, I think it could be possible that all of them are coinage axis.
Pillar of the Community
United States
700 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2019  06:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's an example of the scarce OG3 RD13 I recently found.

Pillar of the Community
United States
820 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  02:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
RD13's are very, very scarce. Nice coin.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1442 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  02:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fourmack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's mine, which I have had for about 4 years
And it is staying put

Cheers Don

Vickies cents and GB Farthings nut.
"Old" is a figure of speech and nothing more
Pillar of the Community
United States
820 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  03:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fourmack, I am not sure how scarce the OG3 obverse and the narrow 9 reverse might be. Perhaps others here can tell you. The OG3/RD13 wide 9 over 8 is, as I said, very, very scarce.
Pillar of the Community
United States
700 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  06:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a nice coin Don, and pretty scarce paired with the narrow 9 reverse also.

I just noticed that your obverse has the radial die crack at the R of GRATIA. Usually you do not see that on coins paired with the narrow 9 reverse, so your coin must have been one of the last ones minted before they changed to the RD13 wide 9 reverse die.

So you have a scarce coin with a very scarce obverse die state when paired with the E2 N9 reverse!
Edited by Phil310
09/21/2019 07:00 am
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1442 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fourmack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why I put the coin(haxby 59-1a1bridge die 2) up is because the obv is the same as phil310's with the triple G but as you state the rev is different with the narrow 9 and not a wide 9
Now Phil310 says it must be one of the last narrow 9's minted due to the die crack on R

WOW

Now I no why I love these coins soooo many varieties and we still talk about them 160 years later
Cheers Don

Vickies cents and GB Farthings nut.
"Old" is a figure of speech and nothing more
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1657 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2019  12:54 pm  Show Profile   Check gidjit's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add gidjit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i have close to 30 9/8's I had a look through to see is I had any of these I didnt find any but I also dont really know the markers
please check out my collection of large cents from 1858 - 1920 (under construction)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...l=4b87156114
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.4 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05