Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

More Circulated/Pocket Piece Commemoratives

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2018  10:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 120grain to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice new Rochelle two tone!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
704 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2018  6:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add two_tonevf35 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jbuck @thisistheshow Glad you are enjoying these, too! Thanks for the encouragement...will keep posting these, most are in good homes, a few I still have.

I know it's difficult to grade from photos, especially circulated, where the thickness of the coin is a major clue, but what do you think the 'wizards' ( to David) assessed this Long Island?
PCGS submissions 2005-2018. Mailings(21) Orders(43) / 249 coin attempts. 12 Fails(5%) / Member vouchers(19%) Economy(62%) Regular(13%) Free(3%) Express(3%) / Barber 50c (46%) Classic Commemorative (38%) Hawaii(3%) SCD (6%) Other(3%)/ Fails: Cleaned(2) Alt surfaces(1) Scratch(1) Damage(1) "86"(3) 2 Columbian & 1 BTW; Min Grade(2) DNC(2)-Same coin NGC XF40 Barber 50c. Express fees paid by seller (cross guarantee). Kept the coin & later submitted raw: PCGS XF40 [eyeroll] Fails: Econ(8) Regular(2) Express(2)/// Other TPGs: ICG (2011-2018): 35/35 NGC: 0 ANACS: 0
Learn More...
United States
63416 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2018  11:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thanks for the encouragement
You are very welcome.

Quote:
...will keep posting these, most are in good homes, a few I still have.
Excellent!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
704 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2018  9:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add two_tonevf35 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Long Island above graded by PCGS: AU50 They may have upgraded it (market grade) since before CAC and lowball, I don't remember luster in hand and thinking XF40. No biggie.

PCGS Grant F12. I believe happily now resides in the home of a board member here.
PCGS submissions 2005-2018. Mailings(21) Orders(43) / 249 coin attempts. 12 Fails(5%) / Member vouchers(19%) Economy(62%) Regular(13%) Free(3%) Express(3%) / Barber 50c (46%) Classic Commemorative (38%) Hawaii(3%) SCD (6%) Other(3%)/ Fails: Cleaned(2) Alt surfaces(1) Scratch(1) Damage(1) "86"(3) 2 Columbian & 1 BTW; Min Grade(2) DNC(2)-Same coin NGC XF40 Barber 50c. Express fees paid by seller (cross guarantee). Kept the coin & later submitted raw: PCGS XF40 [eyeroll] Fails: Econ(8) Regular(2) Express(2)/// Other TPGs: ICG (2011-2018): 35/35 NGC: 0 ANACS: 0
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6477 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2018  05:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The circulated Long Island are tough to grade ... they appear 'circulated' when newly issued due to the low relief. I would have gone XF40 on yours.

Believe the Wizards under graded mine at VG08.

Lovely coins ... I'm really enjoying the look of the surfaces ... you have an outstanding eye indeed.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1205 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2018  07:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hondo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're right... that grant does happily reside with a board member!
Learn More...
United States
63416 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6477 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2018  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I say its great to have an honored member of this tiny club posting whatever coins that met the collecting desire.

Tremendous New Rochelle shown in the prior page ... this is one of my 6 'stoppers' as defined by my personal collecting experience ... a truly rare example of a circuited classic silver commemorative.

I'm guessing the wizards gave a PCGS XF45 grade ... and lovely surfaces indeed.

Quote:
You're right... that grant does happily reside with a board member!

I have one as well in my set ... hopeful that the OP shows the original photos taken before it exchanged many hands to land with me

David
Edited by nickelsearcher
03/05/2018 8:13 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
30224 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2018  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful circulated Grant, perfect for grade.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
704 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2018  11:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add two_tonevf35 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the encouragement! :)

Quote:
I'm guessing the wizards gave a PCGS XF45 grade ... and lovely surfaces indeed.

Spot on, David And I will dig through my photo archives after surveying the Chesapeake again!

Speaking of archives, I have some Teletrade (TM) images of lowball Commems from 2010 and earlier if anyone is interested. Don't think I saved the real fugly ones. I'm not sure the best way to offer them, not a bunch and they have "Teletrade" displayed on most of the images. Maybe I'll upload to dropbox or googledocs, and once I get PM privileges here, shoot me your email for access. Or, I could just post them in this thread if it's kosher, unless there is already a thread started.

Since Heritage is still going, I've been able to look through what's happened from 2010 to present and will download those to my Heritage archives file. Seeing some of my old babies pass through there.

Enough chit chat, here's a TT coin that Bob and I worked a deal on since you couldn't snipe TT back then, to make sure one of us got it, and that it would wind up in his Gross set for a trade - since I was only doing the 50 piece set. Can't believe this is still Pop 1/0 Lower

(dang, that blue tint from LED vs. brown from incandescent lighting, could never really get it right - I found an old scanner that does 3D well and really represents the coin in hand. A Barber friend recommended it right before I got hurt, and I keep a desktop with XP on it so the driver still works)
Learn More...
United States
63416 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
704 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2018  12:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add two_tonevf35 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Braddick provenance: started out NGC AG3, cracked & sent to PCGS who assigned it G6, so it was sent back and came back in a G4 holder. Always loved the look of this one.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6477 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2018  04:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm in agreement with the wizards on that Vermont half. I enjoy the look of the catamount in well circulated state. Lovely coin ... and not easy to find in this state of honest circulation wear.
Edited by nickelsearcher
03/07/2018 04:53 am
Learn More...
United States
63416 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2018  09:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Braddick provenance: started out NGC AG3, cracked & sent to PCGS who assigned it G6, so it was sent back and came back in a G4 holder. Always loved the look of this one.
Very nice!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
704 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2018  9:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add two_tonevf35 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you gents for visiting this thread and all of the comments!

Quote:
I'm in agreement with the wizards on that Vermont half. I enjoy the look of the catamount in well circulated state. Lovely coin ... and not easy to find in this state of honest circulation wear.

Since these aren't standard strike coins, the objective standards (and photos) on the PCGS site for each grade have to be tossed aside, and each design almost has its own grading criteria. With the Vermont above there is enough wear from the rim into the lettering to prohibit a G4 in most any other issue. Certainly a 1916 D Mercury dime would never get a G4. So, we have to have some sympathy for the wizards and hope that when our odd, condition rare coins wind up on their table, they get a smile or a chuckle. The wizards also need job security, so they know a borderline 1 vs 2, or 2 vs 3 is going to have a better chance of coming back to them (more submission $ or 'tuition' as I call it) if they UPgrade! Their collective noses 'smell' lowball collector, and they get to invent the grading standard within 2 or 3 grade steps each time.

So the Vermont at a 3, 4 or 6 - meh, pretty much the same grade.

David's Texas examples in his thread "Update 4" show an egregious error on PCGS's part between those 2 coins, and leaves little recourse for us peon collectors.

OK, so thanks for bearing with the mini-sermon, rant or whatever...here's a small lot of coins off eBay years ago that makes you and forget about the other stuff.

Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.94 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05