Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1888 S Morgan Dollar - Vam Question - Back coin coming through front

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
9 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2018  10:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add e135md to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am new to collecting but really getting into it now

My passion is already Morgan dollars
I bought a 1888 s on e-bay 99 bucks

Took my coin magnifying glass out to look for Vams:

What is this called ? too the right of her bun you can see wheat top from back , little more to the right you CAM see AME from back. Coming out of the bottom of her neck is the end of Eagle wing.... Looks like knife at first glance Outlines from back go all around the girls face in the background. What VAM is this: nothing on VAM sight

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
Learn More...
United States
13263 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2018  10:56 pm  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I moved your post to the appropriate section for the proper attention.

Please review the forum section descriptions, so posts are made in the correct section.

<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3087 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2018  07:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Called a clashed die - read up on them at error-ref.com
-----Burton
45 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2018  09:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dollardude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could use a clearer image to determine exactly what this is... but from what I can see, I suspect this may be "Graffiti" <<<< after the mint, someone punched or engraved the images that appear as clash marks....

AGAIN,,,, I am not saying that is what this is... without clearer pictures I do not believe you will get a definite answer...
Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2018  09:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dollardude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is the AME from "America" showing through at the top left where it is written on the sleeve?
If yes, then it for sure is not correct... The AME from America would show at the bottom right, below the M of "UNUM".
Pillar of the Community
United States
5530 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2018  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We need clearer images of both sides of the coin.

I recommend you check the exact weight and diameter of this coin. Also, check if it sticks to a magnet. Something about this coin doesn't look right, but it may just be the blurry images.

to the CCF!
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Edited by SilverDollar2017
02/27/2018 10:29 am
Valued Member
United States
401 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2018  12:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JJuliano to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” - George Santayana
"When angry count to ten. If very angry, count to one hundred." - Thomas Jefferson
"Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
"How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it." - Marcus Aurelius

Pillar of the Community
United States
8478 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2018  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a link to the known VAM listings for '88-S. http://www.vamworld.com/1888-S+VAMs
While there are several clashed die listings none are as extreme as the example you have posted. Unfortunately, what you have is a Chinese fantasy counterfeit.
Member SSDC
Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2018  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dollardude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

There are many clashed silver dollar VAMs ... None are clashed as much as yours appears to be...

Sorry
Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2018  5:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dollardude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't despair too much over it being a fake...there are a couple options... return it for refund... or keep it as an example of what clashing looks like...

There were some coins struck by Dan Carr ...these "Morgans" were dated 1964 and were made to show the clashing... many VAM collectors find these coins useful in learning and understanding "clashing" ( I just looked and found some Dan Carr 1964 clashed "Morgans" going for about $199.00....)

United States
9 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2018  9:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add e135md to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I took some better Photos
From the fist post
No it does not stick to magnet
The AME is on the bottom right below M of UNUM
Or is it a Dan Morgan Clash or Just fake

Seller on E Bay says no returns or is this a learning issue for new collector

Any Help

Pillar of the Community
United States
5530 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2018  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a Chinese fake.

Pillar of the Community
United States
8478 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2018  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
File a complaint with eBay as it is a Chinese fake. It doesn't matter in the least if the seller accepts returns or not.
Member SSDC
Edited by dave700x
02/28/2018 10:02 pm
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2018  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add e135md to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

United States
9 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2018  10:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add e135md to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was able to update the photos better
Pillar of the Community
United States
5530 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2018  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's still a Chinese fake.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05