Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

San Francisco Mint 2018 Silver Reverse Proof Set  

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4138 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2018  06:27 am  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So not "minted to demand" which I guess means that the dealers will suck this one up by the thousands and spit it out later

If you do not get one on day one just wait a few months and you might save some money
Learn More...
United States
57920 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2018  10:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will probably buy one when it is released. I do not mind paying full price to have it sooner.

As for it selling out on day one, only if the bigger speculators pull their usual stunts.
Valued Member
United States
195 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2018  10:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wyzeguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What stunts are those?
Valued Member
United States
464 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2018  10:47 am  Show Profile   Check BadDog's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Orders are limited to ten sets per household across all sales channels, including bulk purchases, for the first 24 hours of sales after which the Mint will remove the limit. The maximum mintage is 200,000 units.

The typical stunt is to get all employees, friends and relatives to order the household limit on day 1.

If they really think it will be a hot item, in the past some have even offered to pay a premium to anyone who orders and then ships the unopened package to them. Essentially, they're paying you to order for them.

However, I don't think any stunts will be in play. The limit restriction only lasts for 24 hours and the mintage is pretty high. They can probably afford to wait the 24 hrs and then order all they want.
Edited by BadDog
06/20/2018 10:50 am
Learn More...
United States
57920 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2018  11:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Basically what BadDog said.

I do not see this as a hot one for the speculators, but I have learned to never discount crazy.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1035 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2018  12:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Teach to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Too bad they can't make the three non-silver coins silver, now that would make a special set.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
955 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2018  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I want only the dollar and half from his set so I'll just get the singletons from the 'bay.
Working on: Franklin halves (now complete!), Peace dollars (three to go), US type (Bust era), and just started Chinese pandas.

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Learn More...
United States
57920 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2018  3:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Too bad they can't make the three non-silver coins silver, now that would make a special set.
Yes! I have been wanting that in the regular silver proof set for years. Unfortunately it is not legal for the Mint to make them without congressional approval.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1535 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2018  3:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I want only the dollar and half from his set so I'll just get the singletons from the 'bay.

I only want the dollar, PCGS graded, but I'll probably purchase the entire set to keep the mint/proof set string going.
Remember, what the Dormouse said.
Valued Member
United States
195 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2018  11:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wyzeguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Do you plan on buying them graded? If not just wondering if itíd be more economical to buy the set and sell off what you donít want.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5319 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2018  11:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I only want the half, so will likely wait and buy it on eBay eventually.

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
955 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2018  12:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Me: I want only the dollar and half from his set so I'll just get the singletons from the 'bay.
wyzeguy: Do you plan on buying them graded? If not just wondering if itíd be more economical to buy the set and sell off what you donít want.

I want a graded dollar and half (for my proof runs), and an ungraded dollar (for an album with proof and business strikes). Not worth buying the whole set just for the ungraded dollar; nor to bother getting them graded myself.
Working on: Franklin halves (now complete!), Peace dollars (three to go), US type (Bust era), and just started Chinese pandas.

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
Valued Member
United States
195 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2018  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wyzeguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So itís essentially the same coins, packaging and mintage as last years 225th anniversary EU set ($29.95) but with a reverse proof strike and $54.95 price, right? Am I missing something? If right then itís a bit of a bummer, at least for me.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
955 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2018  8:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, this set contains silver coins, unlike last year's EU set. That accounts for at least some of the price difference.

Valued Member
United States
464 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2018  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Check BadDog's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Well, this set contains silver coins...

Compared to the 2018 Silver Proof Set, it costs $5 more.
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05