Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

More Big Silver By Lake Michigan . . . But It's Not US

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2269 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2018  2:00 pm Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I took a vacation day and spent the morning back at the park along Lake Michigan, just north of Milwaukee, WI.

I hunted the area where I found the 1935 Washington quarter and the five Wheat cent spill last Saturday.

I found three more Wheaties in the same area. At the very SE part of the park, exactly where it ends, with a drainage ditch marking the border between the park and a private home, I dug up a dirt covered silver dime. I resisted the urge to wipe off the dirt right away and waited until I got back to my car where I could pour water over it to remove the dirt. I was rewarded with a very nice 1935 Mercury dime . . . the same year as my Washington quarter.

Later, as I worked up a steep wooded slope, about thirty feet downhill from the trail that leads to the water, I got a quarter signal about two inches down. Expecting a clad quarter I was surprised to see silver.

I was even more surprised when I realized it wasn't a Washington, but a 1943 Australian .925 silver shilling! My best guess is that some GI brought it home during or after World War II, was carrying it around as a souvenir and lost it on the hillside.

It was 22 degrees when I got to the park. It had warmed up to a balmy 33 by the time I left three hours later. With spring approaching, I hope to get back there several more times before the undergrowth sprouts and the wooded areas of the park get more difficult to hunt.

I've attached photos of the dime and shilling as they came out of the ground.

Paul Bulgerin
Edited by Paul Bulgerin
03/16/2018 2:29 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15919 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2018  3:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great grabs, all. Wonderful start to spring detecting. I went out earlier to see how frozen the ground was, and it's still frozen concrete. Minnesota just doesn't thaw until late April.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3701 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2018  02:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice digs! Temps in the high 40's/low50's here this weekend. Good luck again if you get out -
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05