Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Kennedy Hd 2004-D Seems Like Proof Finish?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 644Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
393 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2018  4:52 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add sosicoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi, everyone. Kindly look at these 2 Kennedy HDs. I got these from bank rolls. One is 2004-D & the other 2004-P. The 2004-D looks like a proof but proofs are made from San Francisco. Is there a possibility that Denver made special finish in this date & other dates? Thanks again.

Coin on Westside:

Coin on Eastside:

This is the field above 'IN' of IN GOD

This is the field below 'L'of LIBERTY

Thanks, to all.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47757 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2018  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a chance. The proof examples from 2004 are nothing as bad a the ones you found. The frosted bust and the devices. Mirrored fields:

Sweet looking coin. I like the lighter images of the fields, rather than the images with the dark fields.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
393 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2018  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sosicoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. How does a Kennedy HD 2005-D satin finish look like? I have not seen one, yet. The 2005-D, 2011-D, 2015-D, & 2016-D that I have look like the finish of the Kennedy HD on the east side. The field of the proofs that I have is the closest I can compare with the 2004-D on the Westside, knowing that the proof field is better. Just wondering how this 2094-D came out with this kind of finish?
Rest in Peace
10197 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2018  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're comparing apples to oranges. In HOW the coins are produced at each mint and on what kind of planchet, then do a double strike as a proof...the Satin finish is nothing more than a fresh die, hasn't been used much, first hundred coins will have all the minute etching details that make up that finish, as it wears down, goes away.
Valued Member
United States
393 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2018  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sosicoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My apologies for not being thorough with my description. I think the 2004-D is a business strike with its devices not having the frosting. I only use the proof field for comparison knowing that the proof field has higher quality than the 2004-D since I have not seen a business strike in satin finish. THanks for helping in my learning process.
Valued Member
United States
393 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2018  7:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sosicoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Crazyb0. Thanks for your logical mind. At times, critical thinking is developed through comparison. That's just one of the ways I learn. Your knowledge imparted information that is helping me in my learning process. So, this 2004-D has satin finish which meant a fresh die had been used giving that coin its look? I hope you won't mind me asking...when the mints indicated coins will be with satin finish, the mints just want us to know fresh dies will be used? Thanks again.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47757 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2018  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Satin Finish did start until 2005-P

Business strike 2005-P

Satin finish 2005-D

Business strike 2005-D
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Valued Member
United States
393 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2018  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sosicoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! Thanks Coop for going the extra mile to help me see how a satin finish look like. I need to get more boxes of Kennedy HD. Hopefully, I will be able to find a satin finish. Thanks, all for helping us, the newbies. Learning is great with your assistance.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47757 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2018  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The satin ones came in a specif holder. So I doubt you will find them in wild. Probably just the normal business strikes are out there. I new considered these as they seem too trivial to waste my time with. (but that is the die hard variety collector talking.
Richard S. Cooper

Valued Member
United States
393 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2018  8:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sosicoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Coop. Thanks for your great pictures which pointed to my understanding that a business strike is a finish in itself. A satin finish is a finish in itself. Whewww! A lot to learn.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 644Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05