Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Liberty Nickels Stolen From My Rural Route Mailbox In Burnet County, TX

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 1,761Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
73 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2018  09:33 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add coinjem to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Back in early January this year, I had a small set of Liberty nickels stolen from my mailbox which is over 1/4 mile from my house at the ranch road. I had ordered the set from Amazon and was able to get a full refund.

I informed the local PO and the postmaster told me there had been a number of recent mailbox thefts, right after New Years day, so I wasn't the only victim. The postmaster used their GPS tracking system and confirmed the package was delivered to my mailbox.

I asked about alternatives such as getting a PO Box, but that would cost money every month. A locking mailbox seemed a reasonable step to better mail security. The postmaster cautioned me that I needed to check with the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) about getting the proper size and weight. So I did. After purchasing the new architectural mailbox, I took it by the TxDOT office and they installed it the next day on a new quad-mount post.

For those who order coins through the mail and use the USPS, it's also a good idea to use the USPS' "Informed Delivery" email app for your computer or phone. Don't leave mail in your mailbox overnight.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47915 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2018  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the story and glad you recovered your money.
Valued Member
United States
73 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2018  1:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinjem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I was happy that Amazon refunded my purchase. I haven't reordered a new set of Liberty nickels yet, just a couple more.

It really was when a 1099-INT income tax form ended up missing in February from my mailbox that I decided to get the locking mailbox installed.

I also spoke with a local police officer about the problem. We talked about perhaps using a security camera, but that has a few issues. Such as powering the camera. The officer suggested using a trail camera. Being over 1/4 mile from the house, you can't use household power. That leaves solar power or just battery power. Then there's data retrieval. It would be a hassle going out there to download data all the time via micro USB. Of course, one can get remote cameras that are also cellular capable and use "the cloud", but now the cost gets really high.

There is also the issue of the range of infrared night photography and still get good images. I gave up on the idea of using a security camera.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4044 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2018  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bpoc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coinjem, glad you got a refund. My question is, how does the new mailbox work?
Valued Member
United States
220 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2018  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinBuffalo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I saw that listing on Amazon some time ago and gave it a thought. I mean for 7 or 8 bucks it might be neat to see what you get. Same with the 25 Buffalo nickels listing but that one has poorer reviews. Post some pics when the new order comes in!
Valued Member
United States
73 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2018  4:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinjem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a page from the instructions that may answer your question:

There are many styles and brands of security mailboxes. I am not endorsing this particular brand for any profit. It's just an example.
Valued Member
United States
73 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2018  4:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinjem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CoinBuffalo wrote:

Quote:
I saw that listing on Amazon some time ago and gave it a thought. I mean for 7 or 8 bucks it might be neat to see what you get. Same with the 25 Buffalo nickels listing but that one has poorer reviews. Post some pics when the new order comes in!

Today the USPS Informed Delivery email let me know that one of the Liberty Head nickels I bought on eBay will be delivered today. :)

I'll pounce on that mailbox soon!

I may post a pic of the coin in "new acquisition" thread.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4206 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2018  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry you are having someone help themselves to your mail.

I hope they are in time caught as that is a pretty serious offense.

Glad you were able to find something to help you and I will be watching for a pic of your new addition.
Learn More...
United States
86236 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2018  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here's a page from the instructions that may answer your question... There are many styles and brands of security mailboxes. I am not endorsing this particular brand for any profit. It's just an example.
Very interesting. Thank you for sharing.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16974 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2018  6:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The mailbox is very rural Australian looking !

Nevertheless, in very remote rural Australia, the old 44 gallon drum an a pair if crossed 4x2's is still quite a common sight.

There is still the open trust that the mail won't get stolen.
Rural neighbors depend on each other. All passing travelers respect that sort of co dependent trust.
Valued Member
United States
73 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2018  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinjem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sel_69l wrote:

Quote:
The mailbox is very rural Australian looking !

Austin, TX's "sister city" is Adelaide, Australia. I don't live in Austin, and the pic is not in Austin, but the climate is similar.

We are currently in moderate drought conditions, and the picture above was taken in the dead of winter when the grasses are brown with no substantial recent rain. ((And NO snow of course!) Poor cattle and ranchers!

Time to go check the mailbox...
Edited by coinjem
03/19/2018 6:51 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6813 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2018  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Best of wishes with your new mail box ... hopeful this one works for you.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2018  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My wife bombard our USPS folks with homemade cookies, candies, and cakes.

Any packages are placed inside our garage
Pillar of the Community
United States
8715 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2018  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Glad you got your money back. Your new locking mailbox sounds like it should be the perfect solution to the problem.
Croatia (Locally: Hrvatska)
2 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2018  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Josip456 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's good that you got refund.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16974 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2018  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Country wives do that sort of thing! Bless 'em!
There is also a a moral be learned with this sort of story.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 1,761Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05