Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Older Notgeld Collection Acquired

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7
Pillar of the Community
United States
4092 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2020  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Webpage (with great photos) published by The Guardian in conjunction with a current exhibition of notgeld at the British Museum in London:

https://www.theguardian.com/artandd...-in-pictures

With regard to the first note shown, it's cited as being from the Harz mountains and depicts witches. It's quite similar in style to my quartet of Bad Harzburg notes posted above, and in fact was drawn by the very same artist. This artist's work appears yet again in the sixth note pictured.

Also, here's an article focused on the aesthetic aspects of notgeld serienscheine:

https://artinprint.org/article/notg...ine-briefly/

Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
535 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2020  07:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ScotsGreyhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for posting those links Lucky Cuss
Pillar of the Community
United States
4092 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2020  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Going back to my quartet of Bad Harzburg notes posted on the previous page, I've identified the artist as Franz Jüttner (1865-1925).

Moving on, if you'd like to just browse through notgeld images, here's a cool website with 67 pages of them:

https://notgeld.meulie.net/

Colligo ergo sum
Edited by Lucky Cuss
01/19/2020 2:28 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4092 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  09:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's another series of notgeld notes from 1920 illustrated by Franz Jüttner.

Jüttner was a very prolific artist. Here're a couple more examples of his work, these not appearing on notgeld per se, but of a style that certainly would've been appropriate for that purpose. The first is one in a "Snow White" series. the other a piece of First World War propaganda.

Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
535 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  09:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ScotsGreyhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That artwork with the lizard is superb Lucky Cuss
United Kingdom
14 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2020  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add notgeldman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah yes - the set of 3 from Lutter! I'll add them to my article list. On my homepage I am asking a question so we might get lucky and get some replies for more different examples..........
Pillar of the Community
United States
4092 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2020  10:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just bought this pair of notes featuring more of Franz Jüttner's artwork. They'll be coming to me all the way from Israel....

Colligo ergo sum
United Kingdom
14 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2020  07:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add notgeldman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those last 2 are from a set of 4. The town of issue (Schierke) doesn't actually appear on the notes, but you should list them under that.....not 'Brocken'. You'll find them in the catalogue under Schierke. Straight away you can see the artist from the graphics - brill.
Learn More...
United States
81089 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4092 Posts
 Posted Yesterday  3:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought I'd add one of my favorites here. This 25 pfennig note originated with the municipality of Stützerbach in Thuringia. It's diminutive at 58 x 80 mm but really rather nicely done, including a tiny embossing of a conifer (which also appears as an element of Stützerbach's coat of arms).

It's a testament to the chaotic ubiquity of notgeld in the early 1920's that such a small, out of the way place participated in its issuance (even today, the population of Stützerbach is under 1,500).

Apparently Stützerbach has long been a "health resort" destination. It looks to be a lovely little community in a rustic setting.

See: http://www.stuetzerbach.de/

Colligo ergo sum
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05