Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Older Notgeld Collection Acquired

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10
Pillar of the Community
United States
4129 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2020  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not an uncommon issue, but nevertheless one I'd been searching out for a while. Wetzlar is renowned as a center of the German optical industry, and for over a century has been home to Ernst Leitz Optische Werke (now Leica Camera AG).

Colligo ergo sum
Edited by Lucky Cuss
01/31/2020 9:01 pm
Learn More...
United States
84328 Posts
Valued Member
United Kingdom
406 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2020  10:52 am  Show Profile   Check notgeldman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add notgeldman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Lucky Cuss - yes, a nice looking notgeld piece.

Keeping with the 'optical' theme, here is a lovely set of serienscheine from Rathenow:

.....and even a 'private' hyper-inflationary piece from Jena, issued by Carl Zeiss!

Pillar of the Community
United States
4129 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2020  2:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's one I've just acquired, a 1 mark note issued by the Bavarian town of Eggenfelden. The legend proclaims, "Tranquil Order!" I judge the imagery to be rather oddly British in flavor.

Another I've just gotten I think is among the most stunningly artistic in my collection. This 25 pfennig note was put out for use in Königswinter, a resort located on the Rhine River in the present day state of North Rhine - Westphalia.

Colligo ergo sum
Valued Member
United Kingdom
406 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2020  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Check notgeldman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add notgeldman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes - lovely examples
Learn More...
United States
84328 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4129 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2020  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A set issued by Rinteln in Lower Saxony. The 50 pfennig note depicting a soldier riding a cannonball is amusingly whimsical, the 25 pfennig note rather crudely and less pleasantly so.

Colligo ergo sum
Learn More...
United States
84328 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2020  12:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A set issued by Rinteln in Lower Saxony. The 50 pfennig note depicting a soldier riding a cannonball is amusingly whimsical, the 25 pfennig note rather crudely and less pleasantly so.
Very nice!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
651 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2020  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ScotsGreyhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some lovely notes being posted
This notgeld looks like the folks are pouring their pfennigs into a pot

Pillar of the Community
United States
4129 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2020  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As I look back through the two notgeld albums with which I started this thread, while I'm not unhappy with the purchase, I do see that many of those issues are pretty "vanilla" with respect to their motifs. I've come to a point where I'm resolved as I move forward in expanding my collection to be more selective, concentrating on those notes that are

- humorous or satirical

- whimsical or fanciful

- especially artistic

- military themed

The above categories will not necessarily be exclusive of each other, and it'll always be a bonus to find a piece that transcends more than one of them.

I think my most recent posts here largely reflect these criteria, and I expect to have more such to show off in the near future.

Colligo ergo sum
Edited by Lucky Cuss
02/04/2020 7:39 pm
Learn More...
United States
84328 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2020  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This notgeld looks like the folks are pouring their pfennigs into a pot
Very interesting!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4129 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2020  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd been looking for this trio issued by the Zoological Gardens of Hamburg, and finally was able to find them at a decent price. They'll shortly be on their way to me from Germany. Many humorous and whimsical aspects to these.

Colligo ergo sum
Learn More...
United States
84328 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4129 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2020  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just came across this article that provides a useful overview of the notgeld phenomenon.

See: http://www.coinspot.org/notgeld.html

Colligo ergo sum
Valued Member
United Kingdom
406 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2020  12:04 pm  Show Profile   Check notgeldman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add notgeldman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ScotsGreyhound - The 'Reutergeld' pieces form a sub-set of the 'serienscheine' notgeld category. There are 70 sets of 3 to collect, so a total of 210 different pieces. All have face-values of either 10pf, 25pf or 50pf - which forms the basic set of 3. They were issued to honour the poet, Fritz Reuter.
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05