Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Twenty Cents--complete Set?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1382 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2018  04:13 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jpsned to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Talking about the lack of collector interest in the 3-cent nickel the other day, it made me wonder if anyone in our group has a complete collection of 20 cent pieces? Seems to me that's another set that a lot of people aren't terribly interested in.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2851 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2018  04:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, because the 1876-CC is insanely rare, and in any case I suspect that most of the kind of people who might seriously try getting an 1876-CC are unlikely to care much about the proof-only 1877 and 1878.

If we ignore 1876-CC, 1877, and 1878, then yes, I'm pretty sure some CCF members have a full set.
(Some of them probably even have one or both of the proof-only dates. No 1876-CC, though.)
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2018  06:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even the common dates in lower grades prevent most collectors in their pocketbooks from going too far in a set, one for the 7070 is fine. Some don't really even know there was that denomination much less the story of it! I have two, I upgraded my type set coin, otherwise I'd only have one.
Edited by Crazyb0
04/01/2018 06:29 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11988 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2018  08:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I never bothered with 20 cent pieces for two reasons ,1st. the obverse is very plain looking - not an interesting coin . 2nd. they are very expensive .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
8714 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2018  10:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am considering a 20 cent piece set, business strikes only. If I decided to do it, I am going to skip the 1876-CC, as it is very hard to find and extremely expensive. The 1875-P, 1875-S, and 1875-CC are not too expensive. The 1876-P, due to its low mintage, is hard to find in lower, more affordable, grades. I decided to purchase the 1876-P first, and I am still waiting for an affordable one to be listed for sale. Gerry Fortin has one for $500 in VF condition, but that's out of my budget. Once I get the 1876-P, the rest should not be too difficult.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2018  12:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since the vast majority of the twenty-cent purchases are for type sets there are very few who attempt a complete or partial set. This actually makes the scarce and rare issues much less expensive than they would be if they were a common set pursuit.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18720 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2018  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For me it's one look at the prices of them. And not enough to make an Album.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
2429 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2018  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I considered doing a toned AU business set with color, but the set is not doable for me with the cost of the 1876 CC.
I have a toned PCGS 1875 S AU58 for my type set.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15985 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2018  08:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a complete business strike set not including the 76 CC which I do not consider to have actually been released for circulation. The 1876 P was the toughest piece in the set to locate, but it also happens to be the highest grade piece of the set. Fortunately I put the set together so long ago that it didn't cost me an arm and a leg.
Gary Schmidt
Learn More...
United States
79134 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
895 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2018  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thisistheshow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Since the vast majority of the twenty-cent purchases are for type sets there are very few who attempt a complete or partial set. This actually makes the scarce and rare issues much less expensive than they would be if they were a common set pursuit.

Is there a potentially undervalued date/grade combination in your opinion?
Edited by thisistheshow
04/02/2018 5:04 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15985 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2018  3:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Everything except the 1875 S.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
4205 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2018  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I considered the 20 cent series but they just don't seem real popular.
So I am, like a few others just happy with the one in my type set.

For now anyway......
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05