Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2000 Toned Silver Eagle

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
5705 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2018  12:02 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I thought this one was interesting. Thoughts on grade and problems? Thanks!

Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2018  12:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AT....AT....AT....(removed because I can't really say my thoughts)

That really is one ...uggely coin. Sorry, some will love it, but it sure is ruined to me.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8131 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2018  12:47 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know about grade, but I would be wary of the toning. It may well be NT, but it is personally unappealing.
"Baseball gets you out in the fresh air and keeps you from talking about your neighbors."
-Lib Dooley

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4247 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2018  08:26 am  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am a fan of toned ASE's but this one just hurts the eyes. I would guess it was doctored and the two obverse spots (7 & 10 o'clock) don't help

Definitely wouldn't waste money on grading
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8760 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2018  11:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like the others, I'm highly suspicious on the toning. Looks like a chemical bath using some technique that kept the center unexposed.
Edited by CelticKnot
04/14/2018 12:03 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
5705 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
this one was in a TPG slab, straight graded. I've heard that you can tone coins inside a slab using sulfide gas. not surre whether you could bet that result by pumping gas into a slab. I think the coin sold for ~$338 if I remember right which would be a substantial premium for the toning. I guess someone liked it...

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4247 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it would have been more appropriate for everyone to know where you were coming from with an alread graded ASE vs making everyone speculate about what was going on with a raw coin....I still think that is an ugly AT ASE...and I have given up trying to figure out why someone pays for what they buy
Edited by Foxwoods Man
04/15/2018 5:52 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10985 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  6:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That may not be the actual color either. Some of those sellers really juice up the contrast ect on the pictures to exaggerate the colors
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4247 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  07:50 am  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well after seeing that ASE I did a bit of searching and found hundreds of PCGS toned ASE's...some much more quetionable than this piece...interesting

Here are a couple...one even has blatent napkin marks on it

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-Toned...AOSwJ-5aRW4r

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-Toned...AOSwuq9ZZR3J

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-1-Sil...AOSwxOFaYUaN

Thanks for the thread. It decreased my respect for PCGS...
Pillar of the Community
United States
6307 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  1:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unc. details, Artificial Toning
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8760 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, somehow it had to be toned inside the slab then, because that wouldn't have gotten a DCAM as-is, obviously. RE: H2S gas, I suppose one could drill a very small hole somewhere in an inconspicuous part of the slab if the slab itself is not gas-permeable to some extent. The toning pattern leads me to believe that if this were true, gas was seeping in along the welds.

Or maybe someone has found a way to break the weld neatly and re-seal it after exposure, or perhaps someone has the equipment and materials to reslab.
Edited by CelticKnot
04/16/2018 8:40 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10985 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Thanks for the thread. It decreased my respect for PCGS...

Why? ASEs tone wildly and some very very easily. It's also well known that yes some of these are made but people just care about the end result. There's also the fact many of these have wildly enhanced colors from the pictures that isn't how they really look and yes a couple sellers had figured out how to tone them in the slab of of which appears to have been shut down at least for an internet presence
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4247 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2018  10:33 am  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe a year or so ago I had read that PCGS had decided not to get into the AT vs. NT thing and to grade these toned ASE's but drop them a grade or two for the change in color. Not very often you find a PF ASE graded 68 Dcam...probably would have been a routine 69 or 70 dcam without the toning but got gigged a couple of grades.

..as for toning in the slab I don't think that would happen. I have a gazillion graded ASE MS and PF coins and NEVER have seen this happen....and have no clue how one would get napkin marks in a slab

...and probably only a coincidence that a lot of these interesting ASE's come from one dealer

Put your sunglasses on and take a peek:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_od..._sacat=11975

Edited by Foxwoods Man
04/17/2018 10:35 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2321 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2018  11:10 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow. From the look of those I'd almost think he's exposing them to something to create such similar rainbowish toning on so many of them.
Is that a thing even? Artificial toning to genuine coins?
http://goccf.com/t/303774
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4247 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2018  2:17 pm  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will admit that I have exposed ASE's to the atmosphere and got some great specimins FOR MY COLLECTION ONLY BUT they all toned reasonably evenly...not with a clear bullseye in the middle or with napkin marks or like rainbows and unicorns.

"Toning" is a natural occurrence and letting ASE's tone NATURALLY is a wee bit different than these specimins...but..it is what it is.

As was mentioned, they should be "Details grade, AT"

Bedrock of the Community
United States
10985 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2018  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
..as for toning in the slab I don't think that would happen. I have a gazillion graded ASE MS and PF coins and NEVER have seen this happen....and have no clue how one would get napkin marks in a slab

It was someone gassing them in the slab, there were a lot of threads on CU about it even with some pictures of hard proof from the original coin that was sold to that dealer. Pretty sure PCGS made it clear they need to break them out or something as that person isn't selling on eBay anymore.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05