Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

post your early specimen strikes  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4486 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2018  4:21 pm Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
the Canadian forum has been fairly slow lately and I figured this would be a great way to stir up a little bit of action as well and give people the opportunity to learn more about specimens, as well as to give us all something to drool over

Canadian specimen sets are a common part of the mint's annual selection, but this wasn't always so..the only years with coins made available to the public in fair quantities before the 1967 set, were the 1937 matte set with 1000 sets, and then the 1911 and 1908 sets. all of these sets had meaning behind their availability to the public. the 1908 set marked the opening of the Ottawa mint, the 1911 set marked the coronation of King George V, and the 1937 sets marked the coronation of King George VI.

there were sets produced in many other years though, however they were nowhere near the scale of the sets mentioned above, and during these years specimens were also sometimes made individually by order of collectors which means any published record of sets produced means nothing for certain years...such as the 1946 specimen issues for example, where there were 15 sets allegedly produced yet certain coins are much more available than others like the 1946 specimen nickels which pop up for sale versus the 1946 specimen halves which are very rare and never seem to become available.

sooo, let's see your early specimens and please do share any information you have on these gorgeous old presentation pieces!

1953 NSF 25 cents SP-65 PCGS Ex Belzberg (wrongly marked as PL

feel free to call me Will. I'm a 17 year old collector from Mississauga, Ontario.

my PMs are always open, whether you have a question or simply wish to talk.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
572 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2018  01:29 am  Show Profile   Check Apitrix's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Apitrix to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful as always Will, you have an eye for gorgeous appeal. You will have to show me this one in person next time we meet. I have posted my specimens previously, but depending, I may have a few to add in a couple weeks time
Learn More...
Canada
7687 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A very scarce 1965 specimen 1-cent. Crappy photos taken through ICCS plastic and mylar insert.

"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Learn More...
Canada
7687 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A very rare 1968 specimen strike nickel dollar. A specimen is the only way you find 1968 dollars fully struck.

"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Learn More...
Canada
7687 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2018  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A beauty 1950 specimen cent, but again, a crappy photograph. All my pre-1967 specimen strikes will be making the trip to PCGS later this year.

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4486 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  09:56 am  Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
beautiful stuff SPP! what would you say the 1968 is worth? I've only ever seen the one you've posted..incredible piece.

here are my 1965s

feel free to call me Will. I'm a 17 year old collector from Mississauga, Ontario.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
24524 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2018  10:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That '65 quarter is a knockout, congrats!
"The value of something is what you can sell it for the same day you bought it."

Pillar of the Community
Canada
4486 Posts
 Posted 04/17/2018  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks frog!

posted this one a long time ago..1944 Victory 5 cents in specimen..really cool having a 40's specimen that's this scarce and also a commemorative and the first year of steel nickels.. ICCS SP-64 in a very old cert.

Edited by thedollarman
04/17/2018 9:31 pm
Learn More...
Canada
7687 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2018  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a 1951 Commemorative 5c specimen strike I'll have to photograph and add to this thread...

My eBay store
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05