Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Opportunity or disaster?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2938 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2018  4:54 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So one of my pawn shop guys took in a ton of US proof sets and called me.

I didn't count them all but they go back to 1965. These are the ones in the bendable bag holders in the envelopes with the date on them. He also had state quarter proof sets. Most of them are from the eighties but I did notice that 65 set.

He's asking $10 for each set but If I made him an offer for all of them, I could probably get them for $5-$7 each.

What are these things worth and is there a market for them?
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15719 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2018  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Check eBay sold for common prices. Many dealers pay 10-20% over face value for common non-silver mint sets.
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2018  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yea, I sent you a short PM, been buying and selling lately, can give ya info but can't post the site I'd reference, seems to be a no-no.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3101 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2018  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
moxking has described the current market correctly.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28917 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2018  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To be honest, I really don't see the upside trying to flog these for a couple of bucks in profit, if that. These are commodities with a poor track record.
Edited by Coinfrog
04/21/2018 6:45 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10982 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2018  7:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could you make money, with enough time and effort probably. That said there;s a reason why these things get sold in huge bulk numbers and passed off as fast as possible.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28917 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2018  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Walk Away Renee.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2938 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2018  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah that's what I figured. Thanks for saving me a headache. I couldn't get over how many he had. It was like a moving box full of them.
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2018  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mike, that also shows ya they've been "searched" meaning thay hold no good "gotta go to TPG" coins, less tha 66 in other words.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2938 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2018  11:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
that also shows ya they've been "searched" meaning thay hold no good "gotta go to TPG" coins, less tha 66 in other words.

I don't see how it would be economically feasible to send any in for grading even if they were ms-70.
Edited by MikeF
04/21/2018 11:45 pm
Learn More...
United States
61503 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2018  11:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It might have been fun to look through them, but as advised above it would probably not pay for your time.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6423 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2018  07:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with the market opinions stated above ... unless you are retired and want to re-sell at much effort with no profit margin stay away.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4245 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2018  08:08 am  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yup...ditto here on the "Run, Forest Run" comments. Quantity does not result in quality.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1063 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2018  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't understand. MikeF's initial post is about proof sets, but everyone else is talking about mint sets.
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2018  4:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bret, it holds the same for any contemporary Mint/Proof product 1968-1998. These can be purchased everywhere for around $200 and less as a bulk offer. Only good if your looking to mass upgrade a collection, not worth the effort to attempt an individual coin flip...believe me, ain't worth it!
Edited by Crazyb0
04/23/2018 4:02 pm
Learn More...
United States
61503 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2018  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't understand. MikeF's initial post is about proof sets, but everyone else is talking about mint sets.
Only one person mentioned mints sets before, but it was probably in error (as indicated by my need to use CTRL-F to find it). Regardless, Crazy is right, the analysis is accurate for both types of set.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05