Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The end of a community

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
Canada
479 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2018  11:21 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TheBurnz to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have been par-taking in another forum since a few months ago. The Canadian paper money forum. Today when I went to log on I saw this message:

Canadian Paper Money
Effective April 23, 2018, the Canadian Paper Money website is no longer operating. After over 20 years, its owner has finally decided to shut down the website rather than allow it to fall further into neglect. Attempts to find other interested parties to take over the website have been unsuccessful.

You are encouraged to visit the Canadian Paper Money Society's web site at http://www.cpmsonline.ca for more information about collecting Canadian currency.

Since the late 1990s when the Internet was still in its infancy, the Canadian Paper Money website offered information about Canadian currency as well as a discussion forum where members exchanged ideas, engaged in hearty discussions and even traded banknotes. The founder, Paul Wallis, died in 2010. The site was seamlessly carried on by Brent W.J. Mackie who had already been playing an active role for several years.

Thank you to everyone who has visited the website over the years or has participated in our discussion board.

It was a shock to see, but I guess this happens. Besides the pay website provided above, does anyone know if there is another free site... I guess this is why we should all be a supporter, if we enjoy this site.

Learn More...
Canada
7966 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2018  12:49 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Many of us here know the feeling, it happened to us when the website owner of the old CCRS site decided to drive away its best supporters and members with short-sighted policies and asinine censorship...
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28168 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2018  12:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
R.I.P.
Valued Member
Canada
446 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2018  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chadcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since the site is shut down does anyone here have a contact for friedsquid. I would like to contact him.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6460 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2018  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
it happened to us when the website owner of the old CCRS site decided to drive away its best supporters and members with short-sighted policies and asinine censorship...

Wonder why he would have done that - that doesn't sound like a way to run a healthy forum. Well, obviously seeing it is shut down.
Did you know that dolphins are so smart that within a few days of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish?

Working on a Dansco 8167 Kennedy half album while waiting for the 8166's to become back in stock.
Edited by Mark1959
04/25/2018 4:35 pm
Valued Member
Canada
75 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2018  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roro57 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had just entered some serial numbers in their database, went to check my totals and hello that disturbing message came up.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1994 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2018  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This site isn't very active but, if you have a few folks to join with you, you can make it more active again. It's the English site of a French collector site .. separate forums for coins, notes, tokens, etc.

http://coinsandcanada.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5
Canada
46 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2018  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add inconnu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SPP, well said !
Canada
42 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2018  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fenian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will miss the forum. Was on there for many years, though mostly as a lurker. I would have liked some warning... A chance to save private messages and contact info etc.

I was there for the implosion of CCRS as well. Forcing people to give out their legal names and email addresses is what did them in IIRC. Too many high end collectors and people who value their privacy/security just up and quit on the spot.
Edited by Fenian
04/25/2018 9:12 pm
Valued Member
Canada
270 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2018  10:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add castor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
chadcoins

Since the site is shut down does anyone here have a contact for friedsquid. I would like to contact him.

Here is his personal website with his email.

http://www.bwjm.ca/

Staff note - according to friedsquid that site has the email address wrong. Use it at your own risk.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1994 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2018  04:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fenian ... I was there, as well, for the CCRS fiasco. We all quit (I was BillinBurl on the site)when it was dictated that we couldn't say anything negative about ICCS or anything about a new book author. He booted a couple very valuable members and restarted registration, as you noted. I had over 15,000 posts (many about research with fotos) that I removed when I left.... others did the same. I was the moderator for the old CanadaCopperCoin site as well ... then the owner of the site just up and left when hackers invaded, giving up the site name .. again, a great deal of information lost
Valued Member
Canada
368 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2018  07:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cdcoinman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The good old days
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
14465 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2018  07:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After reading this news,
heartfelt thanks to bobby131313 and the mods for keeping the CCF alive and healthy.
Valued Member
Canada
185 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2018  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It was a shock to see, but I guess this happens. Besides the pay website provided above, does anyone know if there is another free site... I guess this is why we should all be a supporter, if we enjoy this site.

It was a shock for me too & I know of no other site that deals with Canadian paper. I miss the Serial Number Data Base (SNDB) & the Wiki site links the most (as relevant posts became more sporadic on the CPMF).

I believe this will be a big blow to the collecting community. I must say I was somewhat relieved to find this CCF site.

Valued Member
Canada
185 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2018  1:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Chadcoins" -if you would like to contact the member who went by "Friedsquid" on the former CPMF, email me and I can provide this for you.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1994 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2018  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I put a link to the Coins and Canada site above that has a paper forum.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.68 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05