Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Questions About The Peace Dollar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1382 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2018  08:00 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jpsned to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was always assumed that the Peace dollar was designed and minted to commemorate the end of World War One. Is that true?

This brings up the minting of Peace dollars in 1964. We do know that over 300,000 1964-D Peace dollars were in fact minted and then ostensibly destroyed. My question is, why? What would be the point of minting Peace dollars in 1964 when there was anything but peace in the world?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
30485 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2018  08:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Click on the highlighted letters and then on History.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Edited by John1
05/03/2018 08:22 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1382 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2018  08:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpsned to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah, just to serve Las Vegas. How much more American can you get?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16021 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2018  09:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes it is true. the proposal was made by Farren Zerbe to produce a silver dollar to mark the end of the end of the "Great War" (Remember this was the war to end all wars.) and that it should be produced in the same year that the war ended. The Armistice that stopped the fighting occurred in Nov of 1918, but the Peace Treaty that actually ended the war was not signed until mid Nov 1921. That left only a month and a half to solicit designs, get approval, create models, get reductions made, create master hubs, Master dies, working hubs, and working dies, and then to get coins produced before the end of the year. Then at the last moment there were objections to the reverse design and Morgan had to re-engrave the Master die/die at the last minute. Coin production began on December 28th 1921. By law they couldn't produce with a date other than the date of production so the 1921 Peace dollar had to stop on Jan 1st.
Gary Schmidt
Edited by Conder101
05/03/2018 09:53 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
6139 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2018  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A fascinating bit of history as to the design originally being a broken sword under the eagle on the REV is here:

http://www.moonlightmint.com/blog_19.htm

Don't forget to view the pictures at the bottom of the page.

Danial Carr stumbled onto an eBay seller who had what is apparently the original broken sword casting, misplaced(?) by the officials of the day, and made some fantasy issue 1917 and 1918 broken sword, overstrike Peace dollars.

Also, don't forget that just last year they found dies at the Philly mint for making 1964 Morgans. It seems the type of 1964 silver dollar to be made was not originally decided upon, but the Peace dollar won out.

Daniel Carr also made some 1964 Morgan overstrikes.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2018  12:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All great history thank you.
Learn More...
United States
79443 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2436 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2018  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My question is, why? What would be the point of minting Peace dollars in 1964 when there was anything but peace in the world?

In the early 1960s the price of silver began to increase. The demand for coins was so high, banks didn't have enough coins to meet the public's requests. In August 1964, to meet the demand of silver, Congress approved production of 45 million Silver dollars to prevent coin shortages throughout the country. President Lyndon Johnson approved the order despite heavy opposition.

In 1964 the Peace dollar was still in circulation and you could buy as many as you wanted for face value. In 1964 the Peace dollar was the last US silver dollar minted, so it would be the design unless Congress approved a new silver dollar design.
Edited by Slider23
05/03/2018 3:57 pm
Learn More...
United States
79443 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2018  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What would be the point of minting Peace dollars in 1964 when there was anything but peace in the world?
It was still the current design. Doing a different type would need additional time for legislation and a new design to be created.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6139 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2018  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Quote:
What would be the point of minting Peace dollars in 1964 when there was anything but peace in the world?
It was still the current design. Doing a different type would need additional time for legislation and a new design to be created.

Agreed, and yet they found Morgan 1964 dies in the Philly mint vault last September or so.

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-c...int.all.html

As much work as it is to make dies, you have to wonder why the Morgan dies were made at all?

Also, you would think the authorities at the mint would know they HAD to make the Peace dollar and not waste time on the Morgan design?!?

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12814 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2018  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
.Also, you would think the authorities at the mint would know they HAD to make the Peace dollar and not waste time on the Morgan design?!?

Cus some people probably wanted one. They'll never see the light of day but I bet they exist
Fire A.J. Preller

Go Navy Beat Army
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05