Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

is my coin fake or not ?  

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2018  10:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mellamobradley46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By the conclusion of this story, I am not entirely convinced this is not some kind of strange performance art piece, or an attempt to give some old school coin collectors a heart attack
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4137 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2018  11:09 am  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree...it's kinda dorky to cut a coin in half to see if it's genuine...a bit extreme in my mind.

No clue why it was a question at all to start with
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2265 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2018  11:43 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ack!
http://goccf.com/t/303774
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
France
11 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2018  11:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tawann to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's dorky yes, but it's efficient, and now I am reassured.

There are not many options when it comes to be sure that you own genuine coins when you are a newbie with US coins. (If it was a 20Fr napoleon coin, the weight would be exact and I would be able to check the details on the coin because I know them very well.)

I had been to 3 shops yesterday. Two of them were not sure 100%. They simply told me that they should send to the foundry. They were clearly not US coins experts... and me not as well.

The last shop made a stone test but it didn't guarantee that it was not a Chinese coin filled with tungsten.

My contact, a gold broker offered me to test it for free, however I have to pay the shipping (way and back) by UPS and it cost up to 100$ and would take something like two weeks

Slice the coin and check it myself would cost approximately the same and has the advantage to be done within 2 min (actually more close to 5 minuts because the coin was much stronger than expected. I even broke a tool...)

But it still hurt a bit to see a nice looking coin definitely damaged
Valued Member
Canada
423 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2018  12:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheBurnz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the $100 shipping was way cheaper then destroying the coin. I guess you price your curiosity way higher then I do.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
528 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2018  1:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add two_tonevf35 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Many more options than destroying a coin :/
Even shipping to ICG for authentication since obviously grade is not a concern, when they have a 2:1 special is cheap, just the shipping fee.
If you're happy - I'm not I would even know what a genuine cut AGE looks like except 'not Tungsten' - then that's what counts and thanks for sharing.

You picked the right forum to post this.

It would have been a shark feeding frenzy over at CU
PCGS submissions 2005-2015. Mailings(20) Orders(41) / 235 coin attempts. 12 Fails(5%) / Member vouchers(17%) Economy(63%) Regular(14%) Free(3%) Express(3%) / Barber 50c (49%) Classic Commemorative (40%) Hawaii(4%) Other(7%)/ Fails: Cleaned(2) Alt surfaces(1) Scratch(1) Damage(1) "86"(3) 2 Columbian & 1 BTW; Min Grade(2) DNC(2)-Same coin NGC XF40 Barber 50c. Express fees paid by seller (cross guarantee). Kept the coin & later submitted raw: PCGS XF40 LOL! Fails: Econ(8) Regular(2) Express(2); ICG: 30/30 NGC: 0 ANACS: 0
Valued Member
United States
184 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2018  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TreeMonkey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Although it makes me wince, peace of mind is priceless.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1880 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2018  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add steve199 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yikes!

Quote:
It's dorky yes, but it's efficient, and now I am reassured.

Maybe you are reassured about that coin. So are you going to do the same thing to the other coins now?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4137 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2018  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Even shipping to ICG for authentication since obviously grade is not a concern, when they have a 2:1 special is cheap, just the shipping fee.

Excellent point...grade irrelevant...even the ANACS fee is only $19/coin (gold) + shipping
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7532 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2018  3:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The scratch test would be my absolute last resort!

Hadn't considered the saw test.

In the end @tawann, I'm glad that you are happy with the outcome!
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry Tudor (the lawyer not the king)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15494 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2018  5:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm very glad not to have expressed an opinion. Death by saw is unfortunate.
France
11 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2018  11:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tawann to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Although it makes me wince, peace of mind is priceless.

I think the same, I don't worry anymore now and it feels good :)

Quote:
Excellent point...grade irrelevant...even the ANACS fee is only $19/coin (gold) + shipping

Local shipping fees area (inside U.S). This is not the same price from France to U.S.

Quote:
Maybe you are reassured about that coin. So are you going to do the same thing to the other coins now?

@steve199 : I don't need to cut them all. What pushed me to cut THIS AGE was because its weight 34,18 Gr with my scale and 34,12Gr with the scale of the jewlery shop.

As I said before I'm not an gold Eagle expert and I was not sure such big difference of weight between 33.93gr and 34,14gr was normal.

My Other coins are more close to 33,83gr. And now, I have a proof that my gold dealer is reliable so don't worry, I will not cut the others.

Quote:
I think the $100 shipping was way cheaper then destroying the coin. I guess you price your curiosity way higher then I do.

@TheBurnz : How much more ? One of the 3 shops I had been 2 days ago said to me that they would buy the coin only for its weight of gold and not for its "historic value" (not sure about the translation in english).

In France we say "prime". It means a coin has more value that its weight of gold when it's in good state of conservation and when it's rare serie.

The cut coin was a 1986 or 1987 (i forgot which one I cut) and uncirculated.

Valued Member
United States
122 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2018  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Taphandle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2 simple points:

1. You should have educated yourself before spending money on two ounces of gold that you would be suspicious of right off the bat.

2. "Reputable" shops are not in the business of selling fakes, not that it hasn't happened but such a practice would not keep a shop in business very long.

Your AGE is now scrap at best.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4198 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2018  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In France we say "prime". It means a coin has more value that its weight of gold when it's in good state of conservation and when it's rare serie.

The cut coin was a 1986 or 1987 (i forgot which one I cut) and uncirculated.

I believe the English word you are looking for is "premium."

From the pictures, the cut coin looked like the 86.
ANA member no. 3183942 since 2010.
Valued Member
Canada
423 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2018  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheBurnz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Depending on grade, some graded ms70 coins have sold for $5000 USD, but the average is $1,500. Assuming you can still sell the cut coin (which has been turned into a bullion) for melt which is $1,400.

So there is no coin grading services in Europe? Interesting..anyone want to open up a PCGS francise in Europe?
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05