Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

is my coin fake or not ?  

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4288 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2018  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Interesting..anyone want to open up a PCGS francise in Europe?

PCGS has an office in Paris, France. https://www.PCGS.com/News/PCGS-Expa...ssion-Center

I'm slowly building my numismatic library--106 works and counting

With assistance, trying to compile a listing of numismatic reference books & materials available to collectors http://goccf.com/t/174749
France
11 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2018  06:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tawann to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello

This is an interesting link.

It seems it would cost approx 25 euro to grade one coin. (around 30$)

Edit : If the value of the coin is up to 1200 Euro, the cost rise up to 45 euro (approx 55$)

It means you have to expect a real added value to grade your coins.

From what I can read, the usual added value is less than 100$ per coin.

Edited by tawann
05/08/2018 06:33 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4139 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2018  06:40 am  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It means you have to expect a real added value to grade your coins.

Since you posted in this thread I will assume you are commenting on the coins in question. The purpose of sending to a TPG was not for grading but for authentication...and to prevent sawing one in half

PCGS grading of modern gold in the USA is $30..in Europe it's 35 euro
Valued Member
Australia
166 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2018  06:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Look at the americans they're literally dying/crying inside ,because you were a bit ignorant of what an American eagle should be, so you felt the need to cut it up. Well if you guys had of reply faster with conviction maybe he would have save the beautiful eagle ^_^.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4139 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2018  07:37 am  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Well if you guys had of reply faster with conviction maybe he would have save the beautiful eagle

Really?

1st post asked question at

Quote:
Posted 05/03/2018 2:43 pm

Coin cut in half at

Quote:
Posted 05/04/2018 09:23 am

Thousands of dollars (or euro) worth of gold and you think 19 hours it too long to wait?

In reality I think this is all a farce since no one in their right mind would cut a AGE in half to see if it was real...and, as an American I am not "dying inside"...I was actually smiling quite a bit
Edited by Foxwoods Man
05/08/2018 07:38 am
France
11 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2018  01:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tawann to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@foxwoods Man

I am in my right mind and I actually cut an American gold eagle. I still feel I ve done the right thing. I'm now reassured about my other coins and it didn't cost me any money for this "authentification".

The coin still has its full value in gold weight and I can turn it to a nice ring for my wife for exemple.

It looks like you're upset about my decision to cut this coin in half and if I can understand it might be little bit hard to watch for coins lover but you don't need to die inside

I wish you a nice day
Edited by tawann
05/09/2018 03:47 am
Valued Member
Canada
426 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2018  08:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheBurnz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hate to say it but it really didn't reassure anything. I would still be weary of any gold purchases that are not authenticated, even from that same dealer.

There was story on the news around my area of a man that bought a gold bar from the Royal bank(well known top 5 banks in Canada if the the top. He melted it to make some sort of jewelry and it turned out to be a fake (from a Bank). So your action did prove that this coin was real, but its not a sustainable approach going forward.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11317 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2018  09:26 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
972 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2018  09:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paxbrit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's extreme, yes, but the first reply the Mr. Tawann received was that the coin looked dodgey and was probably fake.

Next time, just return it to the vendor for full refund, if he's legitimate, and the coin is legitimate, he will accept a return, he can always sell the coin again, right?

Sad to say, fraudulent coins of great expense are rife in the hobby, and there are vendors who sell them, and others not knowledgeable enough or willing enough to invest the time or money to authenticate the goods they offer to collectors.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1100 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2018  09:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shotgung to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
- A bit extreme but if it's reassurance, then open it up.
Heading to Kilimanjaro June 30th, the first of my 7 Summit attempt
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11317 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2018  09:01 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A genuine solid gold coin would not have a layer that peels back like shown in the image I posted yesterday.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
961 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2018  11:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see what nss-52 is getting at but that doesn't look like peeling to me. Could be a lighting effect or just from a difficult cut with the wrong tool.

With the inside fully exposed now, an XRF scanner should be able to tell you the true composition.
Working on: Franklin halves (now complete!), Peace dollars (three to go), US type (Bust era), and just started Chinese pandas.

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11317 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2018  2:12 pm  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have no experience with "cutting" gold coins, but it looks like the OP used some dikes to cut each edge, then snap the coin in two. If that is what they did, I really have no clue if the resulting "cut" edge would look like the image. I think brass might look like that, but don't know if basically solid gold would do the same.

I still think that is peeling where I circled.
Learn More...
United States
58002 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2018  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For anyone reading this topic: Do not do what the OP did. Ever.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1011 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  12:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The simple solution here would to have had the coins in question scanned.
LWPSrXB2OZw

*** Edited by Staff to add YouTube tags. Please use them in the future. We prefer embedded video. ***
Any bullion dealer that makes a significant living by buying and selling precious metals will have such a device. If you have coin shows where you live, you'd be likely to find a dealer that has such a device. The results are definite and no destruction is necessary.
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05