Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your Australian Circulation Finds

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 448 / Views: 28,585Next Topic
Page: of 30
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2493 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2021  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just before lockdown mania descended again, I picked up a bag of "Miscellaneous coins and notes" in a stamp auction. It got a lot of attention, but no one wanted it, except me.

I got it for $20 and was blown away with the contents, this was a real bargain.

3 silver 1966 50 cent coins, not rare and these are definitely lower down the condition spectrum - but that is $39 worth of silver in a $20 purchase, fair dinkum cobbers!

Over half of it was Australian, including a nice 25 cent Legends coin with the Victoria cross, I understand these are not that common and were quite hard to get with some silly newspaper promotion. I had heard of this series but had no idea how large it was!

A great selection of change ($17.50 in modern), including an UNC 2017 MOR dollar, 3 x $2 and a 1999 Year of old person dollar. The 50 cents included a Volunteers, Outback and AU 1975 and 1976 coins, a 1980 and 1983 and 4 x 1970 Cooks, although they are EF/AU. In anycase these coins filled gaps and I upgraded my Volunteers coin. The 20s were also nice including 2011 Volunteers and the ugly Royal wedding one. THE 10 cent coins even included a UNC 1997 10 cent coin (A scarce date and it filled a big gap). I also finally got a 2017 5 cent piece.

To top it all off, there was a penny and it was a gVF 1936

I don't have this date and despite its colour, the wear is light, George has full diamond and only light wear on the crown pearls.

For $20 NZD, I think you will all agree I did well here?
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2937 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2021  04:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Too right you did well, Cobber.
Nice haul. :)

Steve :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 15,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Learn More...
United States
99300 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2021  09:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just before lockdown mania descended again, I picked up a bag of "Miscellaneous coins and notes" in a stamp auction. It got a lot of attention, but no one wanted it, except me.
Fantastic!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
641 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2021  2:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW PT - there's over $20 in melt value for the silvers alone. Good deal.
In Oz lockdown mania means higher prices. Just look at the crazy prices for coloured coins since covid began. Hopefully once the government unemployment stimulus winds back it'll slow prices. I reckon a lot of the stimulus money went towards coin buying.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
641 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2021  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Given PTs recent purchase, I have often wondered if it is cheaper to build collections for a country by purchasing outside the country. I can guarantee that the coins PT purchased would have sold for $40 upwards in Aus. Likewise, I have scored some great NZ sets in OZ whereas Oz coins are ridiculously expensive in Oz. Trick is buy from non-dealers to get the best deals.
Edited by David Graham
02/15/2021 3:01 pm
Pillar of the Community
Australia
998 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2021  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Depends on the coins. I would say outside country mint Set, with expection of the US and China, basically all others are discount cause basically no demand. Some of the older coins or more expensive get shipped or sold to oversea buyers shipwreck coins.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
649 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2021  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Yes,that's the way to go,amazing what you can pick up if the Auctioneer is genuine,Ebay has changed the landscape these days but you can still pick up a bargain.
Barry Cooper,a major Stamp/Coin Dealer from Sydney,semi retired to Ballina but still held his Auctions every Month or 2.
Pre Ebay he would Auction the Stamps first and by the time he got to the Coins a couple of hours later the bidders had faded away to a handful and there were bargains to be had if he decided to let the Coin lots sell.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
998 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2021  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i also pick up some bargin in the pre-lockdown auction :)
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2493 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2021  10:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys.

If it helps lots come rarely like that one. It was a stamp club auction, where you put a red dot on some lots to be auctioned and the rest is no reserve. This was a RED dot lot and someone had marked it meaning it would be auctioned. Reserve was $20, it came up and I was the only one that bid and got it.

Usually two or three coin buyers come along and the main one was not there that day, the other coin collector, said it wasn't his style and the person who placed the dot remains a mystery, it was not me - but I got to inspect it before hand I thought it was 2 silver 50c, so utter delight when a third one popped out!

Usually on trade me, these coins are sold at $12 - $15 each and that is before the rest.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Germany
623 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2021  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add redlock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have often wondered if it is cheaper to build collections for a country by purchasing outside the country.

This is definitely true for Deutsche Mark (1948--2001) coins.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2493 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  02:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think part of the reason to is interest. If there had been, it may have been as high as $70. Luckily my main coin rival (An eccentric Thai guy who once threatened with the Thai mafia) was not there.

I think also as Australia is very unpopular at the moment here, can't go into politics, but will say NZ and Aus differ greatly in their approach to various issues particularly race and dealing with undesirable immigrants that commit crime. Also the governments of both countries are as far apart as they can be!

Of course my personal feelings are ambivalent, I love Australia and Australians - some of my best friends here are Australians and I would hate to think that I would ever show hostility towards them because of their national origin.

They don't hold it against me because I am a Kiwi after all Just as long as I don't start a crime wave there I guess
Edited by Princetane
02/24/2021 03:44 am
Pillar of the Community
Australia
998 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  02:23 am  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lol Thai mafia, never heard of Thai mafia. As for the PM haha we also think he one short of a fruit basket, don't get too political PT ;).
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2493 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  04:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My latest purchases. I found them on Trade Me!

1988 Bicentenary UNC set

Finally got one, these are getting harder to find with the special 3 coins and beautiful front paintings (c1820 Macquarie era view of Sydney town and Sydney Cove in 1788)

Look at the shine

Like 1987, its another year of trying to get coins that did not circulate like the 20 cents.

Also much cheaper were 1977 and 1982 sets in the flip folders

Only in 1977, would bright purple be a groovy cover!

The 77 had toned bronze as expected and even stained silver

However the 82 set had nice bronze and flawless silver

Did they change the plastic in the early 80s?

I may liberate the coins from these folders anyway (Not 1988).
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2937 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  06:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Only in 1977, would bright purple be a groovy cover!

Yeah baby, I think around 1975 to 1977 were my purple years.

PrinceTane, I had a 1988 coins set, like the one you pictured, but I busted the coins out and put them in 2x2s. I don't trust those packages. Actually I just remembered that I still have one in my safe, only It doesn't belong to me. I'm storing a few coins for a friend, who's daughter is a bit of a tea leaf. :(

Steve :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 15,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2493 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2021  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ryurazu - That is what I did, I modified that post as it was getting political. But the unexpurgated one lasted about 30mins before I realised it could land me in some hot water

Steve - I agree, I am at a crossroads as I bought about 1000 mylar flips off a seller who has now gone bankrupt because of Covid 19 and there are no more to sell

At this stage I am happy with the condition of the coins in the 88 set and even the 82, but anything with open pouches like that, will need to be moved (I am lucky as the seller is a professional coin dealer and obviously knows a bit about preserving and preservation).

The decision is to go to 2 x 2 holders, but I really want that organic feel of holding my coins, that stapling them up does not have, so I guess I will try and track down another supplier of Mylar flips.
Edited by Princetane
02/24/2021 10:00 pm
Page: of 30 Replies: 448 / Views: 28,585Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05