Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Elongated coins/pennies  

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11
Pillar of the Community
United States
1922 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2018  05:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Circus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

this is on a penny
Edited by Circus
07/03/2018 05:50 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3624 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2018  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A couple more English elongates. This one comes from an excavated Roman fort near Newcastle (on Hadrian's Wall):

This one from Derbyshire was made for an attraction based on the popular children's book "The Wind in the Willows". When I got there, the attraction had closed - but the smashed penny machine was still there and working!
Valued Member
United States
184 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2018  11:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nautilator to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are a few of this 'keep it flying' design out there, but none of those were printed on a French 5 centimes.

This piece is a 5 centime and weighs 3.0g, and is dated 1918. (It's upside-down relative to the pressed design.)

Pillar of the Community
United States
3350 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2018  11:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Gene Autry was probably the most famous of the "singing cowboys" that were a staple of movie matinees starting in the 1930's before making a transition to television in the 50's. His legacy includes several Christmas songs that remain extremely popular decades after they were first recorded.

This elongated may well be a souvenir of the Autry Museum of the American West in Los Angeles, but it might also have been pressed at the Melody Ranch Museum in nearby Newhall, where an annual Cowboy Poetry & Music Festival is held.

Colligo ergo sum
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  03:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add qktbird to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a very rare elongate I own that was from the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition. This one was rolled on an 1858 Seated half dime.

Learn More...
United States
57780 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here's a very rare elongate I own that was from the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition. This one was rolled on an 1858 Seated half dime.
Wow! That is very interesting!
Valued Member
United States
162 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gilgerr24 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just be careful on buying the old ones. Like regular USA coins, there are a few reproductions out there. There are some on eBay and other sites made to look like the 1893s but the die was made a few years ago is all. And anyone with a die can put an old penny in and roll it. I dont think any of the originals like the one above have any sort of start slot.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3624 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Edinburgh Castle in Scotland:

Edinburgh was the first city in the UK where smashed penny machines became common. Eurolink, one of the first British manufacturers and distributors of these machines, were based in Scotland, so that's probably why.
Learn More...
United States
57780 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Edinburgh was the first city in the UK where smashed penny machines became common. Eurolink, one of the first British manufacturers and distributors of these machines, were based in Scotland, so that's probably why.
Very interesting.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3350 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

But on page 8 of this thread, Circus said:

Quote:
The Columbia Expo of 1893 is one expamle of fantsy ones as only pennies were rolled at the ti9me now ypu can get it on every coin you can thing of.

Now that rolled dime seems to have some age to it, and the motif looks properly Victorian. What worries me is that if a dime was pressed through a machine intended to elongate cents, you'd expect the coin to have run out before the far end of the die was reached - but this specimen exhibits the entirety of the design, and perfectly centered to boot. So I'm a bit suspicious of its originality, despite the host coin being of some numismatic value.

Colligo ergo sum
Valued Member
United States
162 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gilgerr24 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just looked in my books. There are 26 varoeties made in 1893 for the Worlds Fair. I would say his coin is 100% legit and was rolled then. I have a machine and it is very easy to adjust the pressure to roll on dimes, and even loosen it to roll something as big as a Morgan silver dollar. One of the books has a picture of a rolled Morgan from that fair. The book was made in the 60s. I will have to do some looking and see if I can find it. Mostly cents were used, because 124 years ago even a penny went a long ways. So I would guess only people that had a lot of money rolled other higher face value coins. Rob
Pillar of the Community
United States
1922 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  8:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Circus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since there are many old dies that are still being rolled today. Yours has the 5mm "9" it is listed in Dottie Dow book from 1965

The one listed as 5a has the "9" as 3mm high. there is no notation by this one.

In this one which is the current updated edition 4 of the joint book by Martin and Dow. The 5a one has the notation listed as First appeared in 1964 Not regarded as original 1893 issue. Also in the section on rerolls There is a paragraph "It appears that someone thought there were not enough dies used at the 1893 World's Colombian Exposition. So suddenly in 1964 three new varieties appeared. They are ILL-WCE 2d, 4a and 5A. They are all considered open dies, meaning they can be rerolled at anytime. They are apparently available on any coin imaginable." The only thing I thought that was odd about that one was the date on the dime is 1858 and that means the coin was in circulation for 35 years. They were ended 1891 so I guess that it is possible. As to the use of only pennies it was in a story by one of the people that were at the expo rolling pennies.
As with any history you have to take it with some consideration of true or false.
Valued Member
United States
205 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  10:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... I have a machine and it is very easy to adjust the pressure to roll on dimes, and even loosen it to roll something as big as a Morgan silver dollar ...

But the idea that any machine was set to roll on dimes and then used by the general or attending public to roll dimes seems very unlikely ... I've never seen any machine that was not set to roll on the lowest coin of the realm.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Why collect coins? Memory is the second thing to go. The use of money is the last thing to go.
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  12:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add qktbird to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you gilgerr24 and circus for the information on the elongated coins from the Columbian Expo. I have several with the other more common designs on a few different host coins other than Indian cents. Is there anywhere you know of that I can find the info in those books for just the Columbian Exposition elongated coins? I collect just about everything from the Columbian Expo and these are the only type of elongated coins I have. Those books are a little expensive and I don't want to spend the money for just the few pages that would interest me. Here's another example rolled on an 1888 Canada Large Cent.

Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  12:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add qktbird to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's another design that's rolled on an 1889 Seated Liberty dime.

Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05