Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2000 P Sacagawea Dollar. Not sure what I am looking at.  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
592 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  9:36 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My wife knows I love coins and an older lady came in to where she works and paid a lady with dollar coins, all kinds actually. My wife then decided to buy them and bring them home to me. There is one that stuck out like a sore thumb and it was one of the 2000 P Sacagawea dollar coins. I have looked at hundreds of these but this one has a mirror finish unlike any I have ever seen. It weighs 8.1 gms and if by chance this may be a Goodacre dollar you can see that it has ben circulated. I know the chances of this being one is extremely remote due do the fact they are all documented. Could possibly a few others with the proof like finish been minted? Insight please. I do apologize as the pics DO NOT due this coin justice. I set a normal 2000 P side by side and snapped a couple of pics.

Edited by Jim0815
05/16/2018 9:43 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6933 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Possible, but seems pretty unlikely as you have noted. I can't tell from your pics if the surface is really "proof-like". Have you looked at this prior CCF thread with pics and a link?

http://goccf.com/t/205800
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry Tudor (the lawyer not the king)
Pillar of the Community
United States
592 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spence, I have not but sure will. You can literally see yourself from both sides of this coin. Again, I sincerely apologize for the pics not doing this coin justice.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
29207 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  02:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coins are from Philadelphia. Not proof ones this year. They would have an 'S' on them if they we're proof coins.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
592 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  06:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Goodacre coins were minted in Philadelphia. My question is could this possibly be one out of its plastic holder or could there have been more minted than the 5000 awarded to Mrs. Goodacre?
Pillar of the Community
United States
592 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  08:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe I now know what caused this. After some serious magnification I am of the firm belief that this coin is the victim of a jewelers buffer wheel. The GG is shallow and the bottom of the serifs on Liberty show signs of buffing. Whoever did this halfway knew what they were doing. One other thing that tipped me off is I went and recalibrated my scales and this coin weighs 7.98 grams. The color is extremely white in contrast to the gold toned normal dollar. I believe the heat generated from the buffer wheel changed the natural toning of this coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3288 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  09:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The one on the left appears to have been polished.
Collector of all classic US coinage.
Edited by SilverDollar2017
05/17/2018 09:49 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1870 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  10:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add steve199 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The one on the left appears to have been polished.

And all this time I thought he considered the coin on the right to be the special one. :)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6933 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
After some serious magnification I am of the firm belief that this coin is the victim of a jewelers buffer wheel.

Ok very nice--thanks for following up with the answer!
"It certainly strikes the beholder with astonishment, to perceive what vast difficulties can be overcome by the pigmy arms of little mortal man, aided by science and directed by superior skill." --Henry Tudor (the lawyer not the king)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4919 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it was buffed out (polished) with something.
Errors And Varietys.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7075 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jim, thanks for posting this. It's the first time I've seen a coin discolored from buffing.

There seems to be no end to what people will do to coins.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
29207 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2018  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably soaked in saliva. That will turn a coin a darker color.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.63 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05