Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Shot Heard Round the World - Visiting the Coin History

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6452 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2018  3:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Fair warning - long post with photos.

A highlight of my business trip to the Boston, MA area last week was an opportunity to use my free morning time to visit the American Revolution history commemorated in 1925 with the Lexington-Concord half dollar.

For reference ... here is the coin:

1925 Lexington-Concord Sesquicentennial Half Dollar - PCGS MS66/CAC

We started at the North Bridge site in the Minuteman National Historical Park - the site of the start of the war.

North Bridge site:

In the background ... across the bridge ... you can see a statue of interest which I'll come to in a bit.

The inscription on the memorial obelisk in the foreground reads as follows:

HERE
on the 19 of April
was made
the first forcible resistance
to British aggression
On the Opposite Bank
stood the American Militia
Here stood Invading Army
and on the spot
the first of the Enemy fell
in the War of that Revolution
which gave
Independence
to these United States
In gratitude to GOD
and
In the love of Freedom
this Monument
was erected
AD 1836

To the left of that memorial is the British grave marker:

The inscription is kind of macabre:

GRAVE OF BRITISH SOLDIERS
THEY CAME THREE THOUSAND MILES AND DIED.
TO KEEP THE PAST UPON ITS THRONE.
UNHEARD BEYOND THE OCEAN TIDE.
THEIR ENGLISH MOTHER MADE HER MOAN.
APRIL 19, 1775

Sooo ... back to that statue in the background ... the Concord Minuteman. Plow with jacket thrown over it with a rifle in the other hand ... the Patriot ready to leave his farm to defend the new nation.

It's represented on the obverse of the coin ... here I am to show some scale.

The inscription on the statue base is a poem by Ralph Emerson:

BY THE RUDE BRIDGE THAT
ARCHED THE FLOOD,
THEIR FLAGS TO APRIL'S
BREEZE UNFUROLED,
HERE ONCE THE EMBATTLED
FARMERS STOOD,
AND FIRED THE SHOT HEARD
ROUND THE WORLD.

The next morning we set off to find the Lexington, MA Old Belfry - the Reverse of the coin.

This proved to be a bit of a challenge ... GPS directions take you into the heart of Lexington with no belfry in sight. Google search indicates that 'thousands of people pass by this location without knowing about it' ... but gives the critical clue that one must climb a rough trail of a few hundred feet.

Sooo ... find a hill and there we go.

Old Belfry - Lexington, MA

Great fun and truly enjoyable to visit the images and history represented in my classic silver commemorative set ... hopeful that you enjoyed the mini-tour of our 1925 Lexington-Concord half dollar.

Enjoy
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2370 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2018  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty cool. Thank you for sharing.
http://goccf.com/t/303774
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15719 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2018  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I sincerely appreciate your time in showing us that on-site present day photography so that I can see why that commeorative was issued and why it was important.

So many of our Classic Silver Commemorative s are not given the respect they may be due. I've never considered the 1925 Lexington as one of my favorites, but you have done an admirable job of introducing me to the real facts and present day connections. Thank You!

My Own Lexington:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7527 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2018  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great post and nice commemoratives fellers.
You're tall enough to be a minuteman yourself!
Mine is a circulated issue.
On the left of most every CCF page, I am trying to remember to use CCF Partners links. They are highlighted in lime green!
It helps CCF a little. Try it!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
704 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2018  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add two_tonevf35 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Masterfully done, David, and glad you commemorated the visit and shared with us here! You indeed have brought things to life about the hobby and connection to world history and real life stamped on metal discs.

One of my favorite places to visit - watching the Concord river flow under the bridge (the 'wrong' way) transports one back in time to those momentous and fateful days. I doubt the participants would realize what effect their actions would have upon the world we know, and the ability to do exactly what we are doing now.
PCGS submissions 2005-2018. Mailings(21) Orders(43) / 249 coin attempts. 12 Fails(5%) / Member vouchers(19%) Economy(62%) Regular(13%) Free(3%) Express(3%) / Barber 50c (46%) Classic Commemorative (38%) Hawaii(3%) SCD (6%) Other(3%)/ Fails: Cleaned(2) Alt surfaces(1) Scratch(1) Damage(1) "86"(3) 2 Columbian & 1 BTW; Min Grade(2) DNC(2)-Same coin NGC XF40 Barber 50c. Express fees paid by seller (cross guarantee). Kept the coin & later submitted raw: PCGS XF40 [eyeroll] Fails: Econ(8) Regular(2) Express(2)/// Other TPGs: ICG (2011-2018): 35/35 NGC: 0 ANACS: 0
Edited by two_tonevf35
05/19/2018 5:02 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
652 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2018  6:10 pm  Show Profile   Check BadDog's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great post nicklesearcher

Always interesting to relate the coin to what it actually commemorates!

Edited by BadDog
05/19/2018 6:14 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5592 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2018  6:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing history lesson shared with us.

You have definitely planted a seed of interest in me to take another look at these commemorative halves.

I love anything/everything that shows the actual facts of our nation's founding.

Thanks.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8808 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2018  6:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well done @NS! Whenever I travel, I try to add a little numismatic twist to where ever I am. Great minds...
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
8576 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2018  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is what draws so many of us to our country's coinage, the history behind the issue. Excellent post and wonderful example of a commemorative to our nation's struggle to become an independent nation!
Member SSDC
Learn More...
United States
62650 Posts
Valued Member
United States
230 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2018  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chopped Triumphs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing!
Edited by Chopped Triumphs
05/20/2018 1:57 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3969 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2018  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wonderful post!

Great to see "live" images of the source material for the coin's design. I always enjoy seeing such images - I think they add a tremendous amount to the enjoyment of the coins!

Thanks for sharing!

Collecting history, one commemorative coin (or medal) at a time!
Original content (c) Commems, 2012-2018
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4359 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2018  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Double thumbs up for the history and pictures.

-MV
I'm slowly building my numismatic library--106 works and counting

With assistance, trying to compile a listing of numismatic reference books & materials available to collectors http://goccf.com/t/174749
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8784 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2018  11:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent post, nickelsearcher! The photo of the of the obelisk is gorgeous.
Valued Member
United States
457 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2018  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jst1dreamr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That was a very cool story. Great pics and descriptions. Thanks for sharing.
Valued Member
United States
276 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2018  3:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atchisonbj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice post! Capt. John PARKER of Lexington was the commander of the Minutemen at the Battle of Lexington. No doubt he was was an inspiration to several other milita commanders including his cousin Capt. William WARD (1733-1799) of Cummington, Hampshire Co, Massachusetts who wa Capt. PARKER's half 3rd cousin. Many milita leaders in Massachusetts like Capt. PARKER came from simple and sometimes obscure backgrounds. The Revolutionary War made many of the notable and several went on to greater fame, offices and even wealth after the war. Of course they all risked everything, lives, liberty, and property to shake off the shackles of the British colonial government. Many did not survive the war. Capt. PARKER was one of them. Although he did not die in battle and does not appear to have died from wounds, he died shortly after the battle on 17d 9m 1775 at the age 46 years survived by his wife Lydia (MOORE) PARKER and all seven of his children: sons John, Isaac, and Robert, and daughters Lydia, Anna, Ruth, and Rebecca.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05