Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

In appreciation of standing liberty quarters.

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7047 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2018  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My favorite SLQ!

I love the series. I'll probably not ever be able to complete it -- it's very short but very expensive -- but I have most of the common holes filled in. I've been fascinated with these coins ever since I saw one in my dad's collection -- a dateless example -- when I was a kid.

Cline quite literally wrote the book on Standing Liberty quarters. I was fortunate to pick up this pristine copy (signed by Mr. Cline!) for under 10 bucks, making it cheaper than most of the quarters in the book!

Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
United States
37 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2018  02:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JoshsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Everybody's photos have made me realize that I'm going to have to bite the bullet and spend some money on some nice Standing Liberty quarters.
Long Beach is coming up in a couple of weeks and since I live only about 15 miles from there I guess I'll go and see what I can get. I hope I can find some specials that I can grab.

I usually go to at least 2 of the 3 LB shows every year. Standings from about 1918-1924 always seem to be in infuriatingly short supply there. Obviously these coins are in short supply normally, but you'd think the quantity and diversity of dealers at the LB show there would be more of them.

Good luck with your search!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1104 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2018  06:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hadleydog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some gorgeous coins posted here from one of my favorite series. Good luck DeputyMax, and enjoy the hunt!
Valued Member
United States
218 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2018  07:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gary to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Standing Liberty quarters are my favorite. I have a couple sets. Here are a pair of examples of about as full strikes as I have. It's hard to find strikes like these.

Here is a well struck one. PCGS 63FH

Another one PCGS 64FH

Here is a hard one or expensive anyway.

Valued Member
United States
145 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2018  10:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DeputyMax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some truly impressive coins posted here. I know I'll never be able to afford any like most of you have posted, but hopefully I'll be able to pick up some nice AU examples.
I never met a man I didnít like - Will Rogers
I never met a half dollar I didnít like - DeputyMax
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28168 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2018  10:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gary - Wonderful examples, each and every one. Congrats!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1036 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2018  12:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AcesKings to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice group Gary!

Two of my favorite SLQ's in my collection.

Valued Member
United States
145 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2018  3:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wizardnyc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My Type 1. Gonna start a date set after my 7070 is complete.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1351 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2018  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpsned to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Although I agree that the design is beautiful, one thing that has never made sense to me is what it is she is standing in front of. Is it a wall of some kind? What wall is it and where did it come from?
Valued Member
United States
145 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2018  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DeputyMax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've read that Liberty is stepping through a gate in the wall in defense of peace as her ultimate goal. Her shield, which is a symbol of protection, is pointed in the direction of Europe (remember this was 1916, when World War I was going on, but before we entered the war in 1917). Her right hand is removing the sheath from her shield as a symbol of our willingness to defend ourselves.
I'm certainly not well read on the history of the SLQ, but that is just some of the information I've stumbled across .
Paralyse has the book on the quarter, and perhaps he can correct me if I'm wrong or add to what I've said.
Anyways, a fascinating look into the mindset of our country at a critical time in it's history, captured in a coin!
I never met a man I didnít like - Will Rogers
I never met a half dollar I didnít like - DeputyMax
Edited by DeputyMax
05/27/2018 10:41 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1394 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2018  11:26 am  Show Profile   Check Andrew99's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Andrew99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gotta catch them all

http://goccf.com/t/303283
The collection is in your mind. Dispose of your albums and free your mind from the tyranny of holes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2762 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2018  7:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gary- Your 21 PCGS 63FH is so well struck, it's a die clash! !
Edited by USSID18
05/31/2018 7:06 pm
Valued Member
United States
291 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2018  09:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 40Proof to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love the SLQ and all of the examples displayed here. I used to be into Morgans and Washington quarters, but once I came across the SLQ design, it was all over. lol The detail and beauty of it lured me in. I hope to post some pics of mine when I get the chance. In the meantime, here's a question. Since the 1916 coin is out of reach of most people (even at the lowest grade) and many other dates/mint marks can be pricey at higher grades, does it deter you from collecting these in quantity? In other words, are you content with a few select pieces or do you try to complete this set as much as possible?

Personally, I like to get a few high-grade (MS) examples in common years just to display what the coin looks like in full detail. However, even if money wasn't an issue, I would have no desire to focus on this. It would bore me. Instead, I prefer to collect the middle grade pieces. Ones that are attractive because they show age, toning, contrast, etc. Even though a 1916 coin will probably never touch my hands (I can still dream), I think it's possible to complete the rest of this set with coins in very respectable grades. That's my goal, at least.
Edited by 40Proof
06/08/2018 10:58 am
Valued Member
United States
291 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2018  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 40Proof to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry for the consecutive posts. I couldn't edit or delete my prior post because it's been more than 24 hours. Anyway, here are pics from a few of mine.

1920 VF-35

1930 AU-58

1917 Type 1 XF-45

1927-S VG-8

Learn More...
United States
60204 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2018  12:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Sorry for the consecutive posts. I couldn't edit or delete my prior post because it's been more than 24 hours. Anyway, here are pics from a few of mine.
No need to apologize.

Nice examples.
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.6 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05